Selwood on Josh Kelly - how many?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
If Selwood continues his form from last week it is probably better he plays against us.

In seriousness I'd be very surprised if he gets done for this, although he somehow wasn't suspended for his bump a few weeks ago so who knows.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Footy fans are the last people who should comment on footy incidents, they like to believe they're experts in everything, but the footy Universe has a way of making them look more foolish than they already are. What fend off? what citing? The desperation is alarming, there's something in the water for sure. What they fail to comprehend is the game itself.

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Footy fans are the last people who should comment on footy incidents, they like to believe they're experts in everything, but the footy Universe has a way of making them look more foolish than they already are. What fend off? what citing? The desperation is alarming, there's something in the water for sure. What they fail to comprehend is the game itself.

don’t be a knob.

this is only a talking point because of what happened to Toby Greene, which at face value was similar.

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Take 2 minutes out of your busy day and show me 1.

Do that and I'll join the mob kicking and screaming for Joel to get weeks.

Yeh, this is something that sets us apart from the baying hounds I think. You hardly ever see Geelong supporters calling for other teams' players to get suspended.

Jul 28, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Selwood was judged as a free-kick against and was paid that way, Hawkins a love massage that cost him 50 metres. There was never anything else to see except by mindless, jealous footy fans who have no idea what they are watching in the first place.

Vivy

Premium Platinum
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Its the double standard that the discussion.

So many Cats fans calling for Greene's head a month ago, now excusing similar contact as nothing serious. Don't know if that includes you, but your response is indicative.
One went to hospital the other didn't. One couldn't finish the game the other was unscathed.

This new idea about action over consequence in all things tribunal is stupidity. You can have something approaching that with the bump and head high contact, but to then paint with the same brush across all other incidents is just silly.

Aussie Rules is a game that mostly lives in a grey area. Painting things like this as black and white, to be treated the same is just dumb.

Vivy

Premium Platinum
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Danger played the following week. The 'went to hospital' narrative didn't hold up for mine.

Should absolutely be a week if all things are fair. But considering what Selwood got away with in the same game that Greene was suspended in means the outcome here will likely be 'no case to answer'.
Not being able to finish the game and going to hospital is not a narrative. It's a fact. What on earth are you even babbling on about

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
So using your elbow is okay as long as you dont hurt the opponent. But you can lay a tackle and get a 1 week suspension even if you dont hurt your opponent.

Can anyone explain the rationale there?
It's the AFL, there is not rationale. First and foremost it the threat of massive lawsuit. Everything else is colored by that. Tackling is incompatible with that, and I think they are still struggling to figure out where the line should be, and if they want to keep the game to any semblance of what it was.
Now if we want to be rational, then if a ball carrier uses his forearm to fend off and it goes up into the restricted zone, then free kick. If there is damage, that would be hard to judge. You'd think that they'd have to use a 'football action' sort of reasoning would come into play. If, however he leads with his elbow, then obviously his intent has changed and it should be cited. I'm of the belief that should be 1 week automatic with any damage done being a multiplier. Same for other possible offenses.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Didnt get suspended for head high bump. So no chance they are wiping him out for a preliminary final.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

May 19, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Danger played the following week. The 'went to hospital' narrative didn't hold up for mine.

Should absolutely be a week if all things are fair. But considering what Selwood got away with in the same game that Greene was suspended in means the outcome here will likely be 'no case to answer'.
Just clarifying that you suspect they made the whole ‘went to hospital and spent the night‘ up? You believe that he was right to play but they decided to continue on without a key player and make up a story about him going to hospital to get that player rubbed out in a future game that wouldn’t impact on the Geelong club? Just trying to clarify your point

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's the AFL, there is not rationale. First and foremost it the threat of massive lawsuit. Everything else is colored by that. Tackling is incompatible with that, and I think they are still struggling to figure out where the line should be, and if they want to keep the game to any semblance of what it was.
Now if we want to be rational, then if a ball carrier uses his forearm to fend off and it goes up into the restricted zone, then free kick. If there is damage, that would be hard to judge. You'd think that they'd have to use a 'football action' sort of reasoning would come into play. If, however he leads with his elbow, then obviously his intent has changed and it should be cited. I'm of the belief that should be 1 week automatic with any damage done being a multiplier. Same for other possible offenses.

Tackles are football actions so you would think players take some responsibility. But elbows, punches, and other actions which in theory are always illegal should be the ones they punish severely. Any illegal action should start with a fine and work up to weeks.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Tackles are football actions so you would think players take some responsibility. But elbows, punches, and other actions which in theory are always illegal should be the ones they punish severely. Any illegal action should start with a fine and work up to weeks.
IMO with intent to do something illegal should start with the week. I'd be more lenient if there were more room for recourse ala NHL. (put a goon on the case) :)

HinkleysHeroes

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The fact is the tribunal rules on the outcome not on the action. Stupid way of doing it but that's what they do. Selwood to get zero games and no report.

Jul 28, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
There has to be consistency when the same action occurs in different games. And it seems Selwood always gets the rub of the green. No wonder his disliked
He's disliked by jealous footy fans...mindless cretins who have absolutely no idea it's a contact sport with rules. These storm-in a teacup incidents were handled by the umpires on the night. Play on!

z547043

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Should Selwood have copped bans for previous things he’s done this year? Yes

For that fend off? Not at all.

It’s a slight tap on the neck which happens all the time. Free kick was paid and end of story.

Just because he’s got off lightly before doesn’t mean you hang him for things that aren’t there.

Thread probably could have ended after this one. There’s a few posters here with a definite agenda. Joel should have missed for his face massages along with probably 10-15 other AFL players in the last year (including these same posters freedom-fighting and constantly-oppressed champion Greene). Selwood was probably even luckier to walk after his high bump in round 21.

However, trying to suggest this incident is suspension worthy simply shows that these posters are unable to look at incidents involving Selwood with any level of neutrality.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
IMO with intent to do something illegal should start with the week. I'd be more lenient if there were more room for recourse ala NHL. (put a goon on the case) :)
I'd agree with starting at a week for all illegal acts or even attempted ones (to cover throwing a punch and missing) and then scale up from there

Back