Is Gary Rohan the worst finals player of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do Geelong supporters care about anything else besides stats?

You can use stats to prove things that are actually true.

Innumerate people tend not to care about stats.

Of course, the average Geelong supporter's ability to count past ten without taking our shoes off sets us above 95% of the rest of BigFooty.

The thing is that Leon regularly went completely missing when he was young - while 0 in a GF is certainly embarrassing, it wasn't a complete aberration. And he got 10 possessions and a goal in the 2003 GF, which sounds pretty rubbish, but that year he had 7 games where he got less than 10 possessions and 3 where he got 4 or less. He was actually better in the 2003 GF than multiple games that year, relatively crap though he was.

In 2010 he was also sh*t, but kicked a clutch goal that saved us. And he was downright pretty good in 2011.

Leon deserves his mockery but it's a bit overplayed. There's nothing overplayed about Rohan - be has to be worst senior finals player ever.
Leon's 2011 finals series was great, and he was one of our best in the losing big-dance.

It's a bit of a legend for mine which is ''greater than fact''.

That's not to say his 2002 GF wasn't a complete stonker.

Treloar putting in a good effort to knock Rohan off his mantle.

Value for money, crap showing.

28 last week against Essendon?
One of the Pies' best when they knocked off the Eagles in the elimination final last year?
One of the Pies' best players in both finals in 2019?
Made the Pies' best players in three of the 2018 finals, including 26 touches in the granny?

Would definitely call tonight an aberration

I thought he played well on the weekend; not amazing, but he did quite a few pressure acts and thats what Geelong got him for. They got him for really cheap and don't pay him a heap and ultimately all he needs to do against Melb is make one of their defenders accountable.

He's not really any worse in finals than he is the regular season. He averages less goals and slightly less disposals, but finals matches have less goals and slightly less disposals than regular season matches anyway, which probably accounts for most/all of the dropoff.

You could make a case that he's just not an especially good player in finals or out of finals and I don't think too many would disagree with you. At the same time, he's played under two very good coaches at two very good clubs and they keep picking him for finals, 22 times in fact, soon to be 23. You don't notch those kind of numbers without doing something right, even if it's just playing your role.

Yes mate, the worst finals player of all time has played 20 finals. This website just gets dumber every year.
I was actually stating he had been good, so I was refuting the assertion about how bad he is, but I suppose I wrote it clumsily. He was very good in that game & it wasn't downhill skiing. He was instrumental in setting up the lead, early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back