List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither brown will be on our list come 2023.

CB needs to consistently play like he did against Rich and he’ll be fine.

If Reef ( big body mid) develops exceptionally in 22, and TB has an ordinary year then I’d say he’s gone.

All that said, McCrae wants us to improve our contest work so big bodied mids will be prioritized for fast track development IMO.
I suspect Sier will be retained for the same reason.

If Reef ( big body mid) develops exceptionally in 22, and TB has an ordinary year then I’d say he’s gone.

All that said, McCrae wants us to improve our contest work so big bodied mids will be prioritized for fast track development IMO.
Its also for that reason I suspect Sier will be retained.
The problem is that big bodied inside mids usually take years to be regular contributors. We could get lucky because there are exceptions like Wnies and Oliver.

It was a calf that kept him out this year wasn’t it? Which tbh is even more concerning. Calves are old man injuries in the footballing world, if he’s starting to have trouble in that part of his leg then the end might be coming even quicker than anticipated…
Could be a real issue for WB if they don't flag soon. 4 more years on big coin at a club with a bulging cap, keeping others out of the side on what appears to be name alone. If the dogs start losing players like Lipinski to salary and position constraints, they could find themselves in a similar position to us with Mayne, without the ability to reinvent himself. They got lucky with Boyd's parting gift. It's not going to happen twice.

Agree - Hence my point about Fast Track development
But in the context of someone like Reef, who supposedly has a physical issue - endurance, what does fast tracking his development mean? You're not going to risk overloading his training, so you've just got to be patient.

We're looking for a new high performance director - what's your calendar looking like over the next 3 years?
Extremely busy with lockdown at the moment but I could shuffle a few things around and make it work 😉

But in the context of someone like Reef, who supposedly has a physical issue - endurance, what does fast tracking his development mean? You're not going to risk overloading his training, so you've just got to be patient.

“supposedly” is the operative word - combine endurance result could be an outlier - because I doubt we would have been so keen to get Reef if his endurance long term was in question.

I suspect Sier will be retained for the same reason.
Neither of them are capable of becoming elite inside mids, that’s their only roles, and they are vfl standard at best at it. This is nothing against them, many players don’t make the grade. If I’m proven wrong, cudos to them. But they aren’t first or second year kids. Callum is into his 6th year in the system, if it hasn’t happened by now, it’s not going to. If they weren’t father sons he wouldn’t be on the list still.

Neither of them are capable of becoming elite inside mids, that’s their only roles, and they are vfl standard at best at it. This is nothing against them, many players don’t make the grade. If I’m proven wrong, cudos to them. But they aren’t first or second year kids. Callum is into his 6th year in the system, if it hasn’t happened by now, it’s not going to. If they weren’t father sons he wouldn’t be on the list still.

The fact that neither of them want to kick the footy is a massive problem.
I have never seen two players so scared to want to kick the footy longer than 15m.

I don’t think either of them will make it but if I were to pick one to make it would be Callum.

Could be a real issue for WB if they don't flag soon. 4 more years on big coin at a club with a bulging cap, keeping others out of the side on what appears to be name alone. If the dogs start losing players like Lipinski to salary and position constraints, they could find themselves in a similar position to us with Mayne, without the ability to reinvent himself. They got lucky with Boyd's parting gift. It's not going to happen twice.
Then I would say they get what they deserved for bending us over.

Karma is a bitch baby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of his 10 possessions he had one tiny patch where he got 3 handballs in congestion in about 15 seconds. That is a very very quiet game for a prolific ball winner.
Wouldn’t surprise to find out he’s done a soft tissue injury and was just trying to get through the game without putting his hand up.
He looked like he did for us in 2018 finals. Not fully fit and lacking his zip. But the big difference is that we needed his inside scrapping in 2018, so he still contributed, but he's too scrappy to play an inside role for them.

Of his 10 possessions he had one tiny patch where he got 3 handballs in congestion in about 15 seconds. That is a very very quiet game for a prolific ball winner.
Wouldn’t surprise to find out he’s done a soft tissue injury and was just trying to get through the game without putting his hand up.

And two of those three handballs in congestion failed to hit the target.

That's a massive call saying he is better than Roughead. Roughy gotten badly beaten in the last round but prior to that was IMO in our top half a dozen players this year. Rarely got beaten and was great in the air. To say a player is better who is playing in a lower league based on a good month of footy v a player who performs at afl level week in week out in a team who's backline is under more pressure than most is nonsense IMO.

This is not taking away anything from Skinner, I grew up in his area and he is a great kid from a good family who has been cursed with injury but he would need to perform consistently at afl level for him to be even mentioned in the same breath as Roughy .

Roughead has been reasonable this year. He's also by my estimations still a top-15 player on performance in 2021.

I'm calling Skinner being better today. And Schlensog in the long run being better than both and not far off Roughead as we speak, albeit he's a different player with his special sauce being his reading of it in flight and intercepting.

Handy for a couple of guys who were delisted last year?

You say the best ability is availability. I agree with that a bit. That's what I was getting at. There's a fair to good chance if we take Skinner we see another knee injury because that's his pattern.

I think an underrated aspect of successful teams is team cohesion. If you build a team around a full back its disruptive when you lose them long term. Now thats a risk with any player but that risk is very much elevated with Skinner.

I understand the cost benefit when you consider our draft hand, what Skinner would cost and our list. I do feel there are other good options out there that don't come with the baggage. Such as Schlensog.

Skinner is an interesting option given his state league form but I hope we consider injury risk when we make these decisions because its been costly to us.

My proposal to Collingwood would be take Skinner and at least one other key defender. There are so many great ones available. Whether it's Schlensog (who would be my priority ahead of Skinner even) as another DFA. So I'd ultimately be taking both and laughing, viewing both as worth top-30 picks this year. Leek Alleer in the SANFL is seriously nice (he'll make an appearance in my upcoming power rankings and he'll be higher than people expect), though we probably don't have the pick to get him realistically given Daicos bid will need matching and Alleer could go second round, which is a shame. If Collingwood improved their draft hand, I'd go get him too.

From rival lists the options are endless, whether it's old veterans who can still play or younger guys who still have a lot of untapped scope for improvement.

And Collingwood would be looking at the youth end of that spectrum most likely. To top of mind the likes of Jackson Callow, Biggy Nyuon and Jake Riccardi are those younger ones I still see upside in and would love to add. And the bonuses with Callow and Riccardi are that you can also play them forward, but I do like their scope respectively in defence also.

They're all guys where they have the scope to be long term key defence solutions and they're all guys I'd rush into the club's doors if they were largely no cost giveaways.

It's the offseason to get several key defenders for the long term. It's Collingwood's big opportunity and if I'm in the position as the ultimate decision maker, an opportunity I'd ensure I don't miss out on, walking home with minimum two of these, and more if I could as guys I regard in each case a lot more highly than the next AFL club will.

I'm expecting another strong pre-season from Tyler with him shedding a bit more of the "puppy fat" and getting closer to a harder-bodied AFL physique, while improving again on his power and running capacity next year.

If his bio on the club website has correct numbers for him then 192cm / 86kg shows they've been doing a good job to add bulk to his skinny frame thus far and he's reached a nice height too.
What's the prognosis for both Browns post shoulder surgery? Are they expected to be ready to go from start of pre-season? Ready from beginning of season proper? Miss the start of the season?

Just need to back end his contract & extend the length.

What's the prognosis for both Browns post shoulder surgery? Are they expected to be ready to go from start of pre-season? Ready from beginning of season proper? Miss the start of the season?
Tyler had his surgery in like June. Should be fine by start of pre-season. Cal should be close to full training at that point too - his 5 months (is what they say for shoulder recos) would be up in december.

I know we have Daics and Dibs in our sites. Is Wanganeen’s nephew Nasiah worth a look at too?

We don't have a live pick inside the top 20-25 nor are we likely to trade one in with our focus now squarely on getting points to help match a bid on Daicos, so our chances of picking him would be slim if Twomey's phantom draft order is even close to being on the money.

I would imagine Reef might start his AFL career in defence while he improves his tank. He played that role for Oakleigh in his bottom age year when Rowell Anderson Bianco etc were in the midfield
Might open up opportunities to release Crisp and Maynard where required

I would imagine Reef might start his AFL career in defence while he improves his tank. He played that role for Oakleigh in his bottom age year when Rowell Anderson Bianco etc were in the midfield
Might open up opportunities to release Crisp and Maynard where required
Just as much chance if not more of starting forward. He was rotating fwd/mid in the VFL this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back