Autopsy AFL 2021 First Semi Final - Lions v Bulldogs Sat September 4th 7:20 EST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 46 40.7%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brisbane only finished 4th - at the expense of the Bulldogs - due to some very dubious umpiring against us in Rd 23.

Seems odd that the AFL would manufacture Brisbane getting the double chance at the expense of the Dogs to then manufacture a Dogs win over Brisbane...
Bloody hell mate, who do you think you are, posting indisputable logic like that in here?

You don't belong on BigFooty with intelligence levels this high, ESPECIALLY not in a GameDay thread.

Give yourself an uppercut.

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
We are all asking plenty of questions. Mental fortitude, mind-set, trade targets, 1 paced mids, home finals record, choke factor, key players going missing, we are hurting like you would not believe.

Why do all you Tigers fans even care and what sort of sick satisfaction do you get from coming to troll opposition fans when your team isn't involved? It's sad.

Interms of Tigers fans trying to ridicule last night's performance on mass (in a very strange obsessive way) read the ******* room.

It was a belter and both teams left everything on the field, we are proud of our guys and the AFL world bar you losers are behind us this morning - there will be no 'heat' coming on anyone as a result of that game.

Yes we haven't delivered but this group have plenty of footy infront of us, we will be just fine.
If your happy and proud of your team losing a final they should have won, in front of a home crowd …….. I suppose that says it all.

As for the current group and beyond, no guarantees because plenty of teams are coming.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We can wait.

To be clear, I felt we got ripped off in isolation last night. It's not even up for debate 10-2 frees in the last 1/4 where ever single contest was crucial is enough proof - debate over. Any oppo fans would feel that way after a loss in a final. You would too.

I get you are the most hated team in Australia right now, silly petitions, being called cheats, thousands of comments questioning the validity of your win, 16 teams uniting behind Port, saying its an AFL conspiracy etc - it's pretty OTT.

Just so you know though, I don't subscribe to those theories - I am just annoyed about getting robbed last night. But.. I get why you guys are so triggered by oppo supporters venting about being slaughtered by the umpires and why you won't just move on with your win, given how much universal hate you are copping.

Cracking game, did you know the result made us the first club to win a GF that didn't feature a Vic club and set in motion the need for your inquiry 2 years later.

Such a shame Lynch is obviously suffering onset CTE, his punch drunk slurring in commentary is a sad look on the game.
I just think you're deliberately ignoring the fact that part of the reason for the inquiry was that they had given interstate teams a lot of concessions via draft and Salary Cap COLA and they were worried that they'd gone too far.
No need for an inquiry into the Vic teams generally because they haven't been given concessions of the same nature.
Having said that after Hawthorn's fast 2008 success they did review the priority pick system as they felt that contributed too much to Hawthorn's success. So when they do give concessions to Vic teams they do also review those periodically.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We are not defensive about it, we don’t agree that we had the better of the umpiring last night.

It is a bullsh1it narrative about us that took hold after 2016 and continues to this day.

We topped the free kick differential this season not because we got the most frees, but because we gave the least away. This has been the same for a number of years. Clearly a mix of our game style, coaching and individual discipline causes this, not some rubbish conspiracy to make us successful.

We didn’t give dumb frees away last night in the last quarter. No one threw a lions player to the ground off the ball, English didn’t run past the ball and block his opponent at a ball up for example - that was incredibly stupid at that stage of the game.

I m loving the win but getting sick of the complaints that we are favoured by the umpiring. It is an attempt to diminish that we were good enough to win in 2016 and good enough to win last night. We won because we were good enough. Not because of the umpires. We were good enough and the Lions weren’t. We took our chances and they didn’t.

But your being defensive about a BS narrative is clearly making you dig in on this game, without looking at it in isolation.

10-2 frees in that last 1/4 - with both teams going hammer and tong, let alone 23-11 after 1/4 time.

So many suss frees at crucial times.

It's OK to say, "gee we got a great whistle last night" - it happens, it's not the Dogs fault.

There is just no way any credibility can be given to a Dogs fan, straight up saying there was no good whistle in their favour last night, when clearly they are digging in/triggered about issues outside of this game.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The facts are that you guys get favoured by the green twits week in and week out, you have had one premiership from it and we will see if you get two.

:).

Doesn't know the difference between a fact and opinion.

Fact: Dogs defeated Brisbane last night.
Opinion: You guys get favoured by the green twits week in and week out, you have had one premiership from it and we will see if you get another one.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
View attachment 1226759

Sport is often a metaphor for life, right now I feel like Bazlenka staring at a bunch of low life’s whinging while I celebrate with my teammates.

Also note how when Charlie Cameron celebrates with his motorcycle running towards the crowd oppo supporters tend to applaud.

LOL what hubris from you. This is incredibly cringe worthy.

To be fair, doing the injection in the arm signal and the way he did it with the pause and fierce death stare (which was awesome BTW) - was always going to draw a few middle fingers.

I'd be pretty diserpointed if the crowd didn't, QLDers being feral is awesome to see.

But again - an obsession with what oppo supporters think of you is on display?

Has the 'throw dogs' thing fully cooked you over the last 5 years? I hadn't noticed it before but it's a thing.

Pretending you are bravely standing in the face of oppo supporters, whilst trawling the internet for anyone saying bad words about you and having keyboard wars with them??

Doesn't know the difference between a fact and opinion.

Fact: Dogs defeated Brisbane last night.
Opinion: You guys get favoured by the green twits week in and week out, you have had one premiership from it and we will see if you get another one.
Nah, it’s a fact that you get looked after by the umpires.

It’s alright though, you don’t have to believe it, I wouldn’t expect you to.

samass03

Senior List
Oct 13, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
LOL what hubris from you. This is incredibly cringe worthy.

To be fair, doing the injection in the arm signal and the way he did it with the pause and fierce death stare (which was awesome BTW) - was always going to draw a few middle fingers.

I'd be pretty diserpointed if the crowd didn't, QLDers being feral is awesome to see.

But again - an obsession with what oppo supporters think of you is on display?

Has the 'throw dogs' thing fully cooked you over the last 5 years? I hadn't noticed it before but it's a thing.

Pretending you are bravely standing in the face of oppo supporters, whilst trawling the internet for anyone saying bad words about you and having keyboard wars with them??

How awesome that post would be if you didn’t misspell disappointed!

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How awesome that post would be if you didn’t misspell disappointed!

Oh spelling now, I must have got under your skin, it's getting even better from you.

Mr... 'I am the keyboard warrior version of Bazzlenka doing the injection symbol' 😂😂😂

*circles the middle fingers to point out how hated he is and how naughty the crowd is

samass03

Senior List
Oct 13, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oh spelling now, I must have got under your skin, it's getting even better from you.

Mr... 'I am the keyboard warrior version of Bazzlenka doing the injection symbol' 😂😂😂

*circles the middle fingers to point out how hated he is and how naughty the crowd is

You have definitely won this thread!

I’m so angry I just rewatched the game. Then in a fit of rage decorated my front yard with Red White and Blue.

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
I just think you're deliberately ignoring the fact that part of the reason for the inquiry was that they had given interstate teams a lot of concessions via draft and Salary Cap COLA and they were worried that they'd gone too far.
No need for an inquiry into the Vic teams generally because they haven't been given concessions of the same nature.
Having said that after Hawthorn's fast 2008 success they did review the priority pick system as they felt that contributed too much to Hawthorn's success. So when they do give concessions to Vic teams they do also review those periodically.

Ok, lets look at things that have been implemented since that inquiry starting with the two new teams, until they entered the league we had 10 sides in Victoria and 6 outside.
Its a given that Victoria breeds the most talent through sheer weight of numbers and they head interstate as theres only 400odd list spots available within all of Victoria, problem is, there was only 240 spots outside Victoria at that time.
Victoria cant support that kind of in balance because you cant trade back enough every year to top off your lists without leaving interstate clubs gutted as that would lead to some pretty ordinary matches week to week, so the only way to fast track your rebuilds is to have enough developing talent outside Victoria and the only way to do that without becoming too noticeable is having more spots to draw from, enter GC/GWS and another 80odd spots.
Sure they're promoted as the AFL's babies and how could they possibly be not intended to succeed but despite their draft concessions they haven't achieved anything of note apart from one poor GF showing. Truth is there is more to gain from an AFL perspective in Tom Lynch helping Richmond to a 2nd and 3rd flag than putting bums on seats on the GC, same to with JC and many more.

Conveniently around the same time they introduced free agency, it was touted as an avenue for homesick players to return home after they'd given good service to their drafting clubs but lets be honest, as Vic produces the most 18yr olds it also will be the place many of those developed 26yo's head back to and conveniently right on the cusp of their prime footballing years.
Now lets look at the last 14 seasons since the inquiry, Vic teams have won 12 of 14 flags and only missed a 13th by a kick with 5 in a row 2 times, yes COLA and state teams gifted to new entries during the 80's and 90's saw us get on a run but nothing like the run you guys have had post inquiry so is it now fair to say that you guys are getting the better end of the stick to a much greater degree and its about time this was looked into?
Problem is it isnt a problem for the AFL powerbrokers anymore as they're getting their wins so there wont be a need to revisit it.

My side is stacked full of talent, our journey is much different to those of Vic clubs, we need to build a young list and capitalise before the core group hit free agency because at that point they'll leave for the 'big clubs' and the lifestyle that comes with it, this is undeniable as there has been and endless stream of KP players heading back to Vic clubs, far more than the other way around or non Vic to non Vic.
Sure we'll get picks in return but thats just the cycle repeating.
That we were able to keep Travis Boak has always been a point of interest considering the pressure put on him by Geelong, a credit to the man and probably a lot of the reason why we haven't suffered the same fate as other pilfered interstate clubs.
Problem is, our youth needs to contend with your mature aged bigger bodies in their prime when we get to the pointy end if we are to reach the top of the mountain and it seems to be a bridge too far of late.
Can we do it, yes, is it likely, history of late suggests not.

Anyway thats how i see it and im sure there will be plenty of people suggesting im paranoid etc. etc. but the principle is sound, you take back more than you lose and our only chance is to snag one with a developing list before you come knocking.

Last edited:

stefcep

All Australian
Jun 6, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The ruck free was a killer though for the lions

This one?

1. Eyes are on English not the ball, checks his run slighjtly and starts to raise the right leg.

2. To then lead and follow through with the the raised knee to block.
ruck 1.JPG
ruck 2.JPG

Agreed 100%, the knee lift was purely a instinctive defensive reaction as a result of finding himself under the ball with an opponent charging at him.
Just call play on and let them fight it out for the remainder, with scores level it would have been either a draw and extra time or a result score from either side for the win.
I think had that happened most neutrals would have accepted the shithouse umpiring performance throughout the previous 2 hours as what we've come to expect and moved on but we all knew, well, those who have been on the wrong end of these sh*t decisions for 30 years, that the second Brisbane squared the ledger there would be a centre square free kick awarded to put the ball in the Dogs forward line for advantage.

When the Lions squared it up my Wife who only loosely follows the game said what happens if its a draw, i said dont concern yourself with it, they'll pay the Dogs a free from the centre and they will score, as soon as the whistle went she turned and looked at me in surprise, i just rolled my eyes and said ive seen this movie plenty of times in 30yrs.
Cool story bro, needed more Dragons though.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
To be clear, I felt we got ripped off in isolation last night. It's not even up for debate 10-2 frees in the last 1/4 where ever single contest was crucial is enough proof - debate over. Any oppo fans would feel that way after a loss in a final. You would too.

I get you are the most hated team in Australia right now, silly petitions, being called cheats, thousands of comments questioning the validity of your win, 16 teams uniting behind Port, saying its an AFL conspiracy etc - it's pretty OTT.

Just so you know though, I don't subscribe to those theories - I am just annoyed about getting robbed last night. But.. I get why you guys are so triggered by oppo supporters venting about being slaughtered by the umpires and why you won't just move on with your win, given how much universal hate you are copping.

In all seriousness… taking the last quarter into account, which specific decisions were blatantly incorrect against the Lions - not ‘rub of the green’, but blatant umpiring errors? I counted a few errors both ways. Keep in mind OOF I believe are counted as frees against.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This one?

1. Eyes are on English not the ball, checks his run slighjtly and starts to raise the right leg.

2. To then lead and follow through with the the raised knee to block.View attachment 1227275View attachment 1227276
But that happens CONSISTENTLY in every game. It just fitted the part to pay the Dogs a free at such a pivotal time. Scores are even and there’s a minute left, let them play. We wouldn’t have been in this situation if 90 seconds earlier the HTB call on the dogs player who dragged it in got paid.

Caleb should have tried taking the ball with his hands. But he would have obviously risked being tackled as he would have been low to the ground or even in his knees to do so.

Choosing to kick fleetingly under pressure even though it was the shankiest off the side of the foot kick ever it was his choice in that moment and it went OB. Clear free kick under the "insufficient intent" line.

Everyone's either heated or gloating. But no doubt Dogs got the rub of the green to slightly smear what was (I was in attendance) a cracking final of pressure intensity and excitement.

Anyone ******* on the Lions remember they were bottom 5 years ago. Been a pleasure to watch.

The Dogs were top 4 all year until the end of the season.

Only going for the Dee's as I have a lot of mates whose only memory are 88 and 00 and they weren't born in 64.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Lions 69-59 clangers, 68-54 inside 50s, lost clearances 47-37 despite having the dominant ruckman on the ground, far more marks inside 50s, uncontested possessions 207-189.

Seems to me the Lions were less efficient with their ball use and had more than enough opportunities to win...........but it's the fee kick count their fans are focussing on, even though the Dogs did not directly score a goal directly from their frees.

Fagan is too smart to say "we wuz robbed" and thankfully for Lions fans will focus on his team's real flaws.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
But that happens CONSISTENTLY in every game. It just fitted the part to pay the Dogs a free at such a pivotal time. Scores are even and there’s a minute left, let them play. We wouldn’t have been in this situation if 90 seconds earlier the HTB call on the dogs player who dragged it in got paid.
C'mon mate... Face facts: it was a horribly dumb piece of ruckwork by McInerney. Especially at such a pivotal time in the match with scores level and less than 2 minutes on the clock. He took his eyes off the ball and stared at English; and then ran over the line straight at him and blocked English's attempt to leap.

The umpire was standing a metre away looking right at him. What did Big Oscar think was going to happen? He had dominated English all night: 40 hitouts to 22. So why make such a critical error at such a crucial moment of the match? He just gave it away.. What a dumb arse...

But I get it. It's much easier to blame the umpires for your team losing than to point the finger at your own team's players for their idiotic mistakes and poor execution. Most of your good players choked in the last quarter: Charlie Cameron, Dayne Zorko, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich... Your midfield was beaten and a few of your forwards were next-to-useless (Daniher, Schache and Cockatoo).

The Lions only have themselves to blame. You had the home ground advantage, a 3 goal lead and you blew it.

Supporters just make themselves look like fools when they bleat about umps after losing a final, fair and square. Just suck it up, admit the better team won and save some dignity. Don't be like those Essendon, Collingwood, Adelaide and Port numpties who bleat about the umpires every time they lose a big game. People might feel better for having a sook, but everyone else just laughs at 'em and thinks they're arsehats.

Last edited:
C'mon mate... Face facts: it was a horribly dumb piece of ruckwork by McInerney. Especially at such a pivotal time in the match with scores level and less than 2 minutes on the clock. He took his eyes off the ball and stared at English; and then ran over the line straight at him and blocked English's attempt to leap.

The umpire was standing a metre away looking right at him. What did Big Oscar think was going to happen? He had dominated English all night: 40 hitouts to 22. So why make such a critical error at such a crucial moment of the match? He just gave it away.. What a dumb arse...

But I get it. It's much easier to blame the umpires for your team losing than to point the finger at your own team's players for their idiotic mistakes and poor execution. Most of your good players choked in the last quarter: Charlie Cameron, Dayne Zorko, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich... Your midfield was beaten and a few of your forwards were next-to-useless (Daniher, Schache and Cockatoo).

The Lions only have themselves to blame. You had the home ground advantage, a 3 goal lead and you blew it.

Supporters just make themselves look like fools when they bleat about umps after losing a final, fair and square. Just suck it up, admit the better team won and save some dignity. Don't be like those Essendon, Collingwood, Adelaide and Port numpties who bleat about the umpires every time they lose a big game. People might feel better for having a sook, but everyone else just laughs at 'em and thinks they're arsehats.
We don’t look like fools though. The only supporters who think it was fair and square is the bulldogs. Name another time that the AFL community united like this over a bullshit ‘make team xxxxx win’ directive. Hmm let me guess, the 2016 AFL Grand Final. Check the AFL social media, everyone is United in the same thoughts except WB supporters. I watched it with a WB supporter last night who also agreed you got a decent rub of the green. Be like them, take the win but acknowledge that you had a helping hand.

End of the day you won and nothing is going to change that, but it was clearly influenced through the umpires. Had we got to play to the same rules we would have won by 5 goals.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the finals series - you’re either gonna get shepherded through to another premiership or you’ll get stopped by one of the remaining 3 teams. Hopefully the latter. Good luck.

Edit - didn’t see you’re not a dogs supporter - post still stands. 80% of the AFL community is in agreeance that last night was an umpire assisted win.

Back