Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question at a job interview: What would you say are your weaknesses?

Answer: I guess it would be that I work too hard and I care too much.
Adhd and depression/anxiety *s with me a bit

Question at a job interview: What would you say are your weaknesses?

Answer: I guess it would be that I work too hard and I care too much.
Saw another quote where interview candidates said his weakness was his honesty. The interviewer replied I wouldn't say that was a fault.
The candidate replied I don't give a $hi7 what you think.

By his exit meeting, it was clear a North Melbourne side keen to build a contested brand involving down-the-line marking instead of Brown’s precise lead-and-mark play just didn’t want him any more.
So BBB was jettisoned for that sh*tful game plan. Oh well, Sleevo and a decent game plan will hopefully serve us better in the long run.

Saw another quote where interview candidates said his weakness was his honesty. The interviewer replied I wouldn't say that was a fault.
The candidate replied I don't give a $hi7 what you think.

Put in here before 'bout a mate of mine ( since passed ) who was doing the rounds for a managerial position early '90's. Got to about the 5th one where the panel of 5 trotted out the old " where do you see yourself in five years time " which by that time was really getting on his goat.
His reply; " on a tropical beach somewhere surronded by a bevy of big breasted beauties "

Reckons one ladies jaw hit the table and one bloke just laughed.

He then walked out > and no, didn't get the job.

How did you feel we were as a club during those 14 & 15 & 16 seasons?
Were they all Brad’s calls are; the list?

I feel like Brad is copping a lot of crap here from people with their hindsight goggles on.
You seem to have forgotten BBB versions 1 and 2.

So BBB was jettisoned for that sh*tful game plan. Oh well, Sleevo and a decent game plan will hopefully serve us better in the long run.

I seem to recall Rhyce Shaw being out of the club before Brown was. So whilst that may have been mentioned between Shaw and Brown at the exit meetings, did anything happen with Ben once the coach, and his terrible game plan, were gone? Or were differences irreconcilable? And if so, was it just because the ex-coach didn't see a future for him? That's it? What about Ben refusing a contract before the season had even started? How was the game plan 'clear', when at the point of Ben being traded to Melbourne, who the coach of the team wasn't even clear???

Probably the answer is that this is just a puff piece, and not a very good one, where Ben got to tell his side of a story without being challenged on it whatsoever and therefore tells us very little.

Nice to see Brown not mentioning turning down 850k a year only to come back and ask for it later on

It was actually nice to see him acknowledge that he and his family struggled more in the hub than anyone else on the list, and what you can deduce from that is how much more demanding they were of club resources.

Why the hate for BBB?
Gave his all for the club when he was with us and loved being a Roo.
Has been moved on for the betterment of both parties.
I think all he’s saying is he was trying to improve - but focused on the wrong things and it didn’t work for him.
All the best to him. I hope he plays well in the next few weeks and I’ll be supporting him. And Higgins if he gets a game too.

Whilst 13 might have been the only last period where we blew 3qtr time leads that doesn’t mean there were plenty of times we didn’t stop a run on and blew any chance of winning a game. Every team has those spells but as others have said there was no way he should have been renewed after 17.

he had a ten year tenure which is not afforded to many coaches let alone those with a 50% win rate.

I’m not convinced he was told to top up in 2018, it makes zero sense after the blood letting of 2016. I think he thought he could be competitive at that time after a better than expected 2017.
Do you mean 2018 and 19, not 2017 and 18?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you mean 2018 and 19, not 2017 and 18?

we signed Polec in 2018 off season so I’m assuming that was where the top up strategy happened. Was it 17 or 18 where we finished around 10th?

we signed Polec in 2018 off season so I’m assuming that was where the top up strategy happened. Was it 17 or 18 where we finished around 10th?

When did we finish around 10th? Randomly pick a year between 2001 and 2019 and you’d be stiff to be wrong.

When did we finish around 10th? Randomly pick a year between 2001 and 2019 and you’d be stiff to be wrong.

I know right.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

2018, we were playing off for the spoon in the last game of 2017.

At the end of 2018 our biggest weakness was outside run. That and jz kicking straight were all that kept us out of finals. Gaff and Polec were great options in that context as was Hall. They were quick fixes but effectively targeted our biggest weakness. I wouldn't call it "topping up" as such but recruiting for what we were missing.

In the 2018 season JZ had moved forward and kicked 40 goals, Maj had become one of the comp's elite intercept marks and Jed got fit then went thru the comp like a wrecking ball. Chasing finals at the end of that season wasn't a bad decision on the face of it. The comp was even, there were no dominant teams and we played a style of footy that was hard, contested and should stand up in finals. But after what happened with Maj it was clear Brad had no heart for footy anymore.

After the 2018 draft we got two of the highest ranked wings in the comp (Polec and Hall) to go with our own highly ranked defensive wing (Dumont.) They were both attacking players but Dumont's defensive attributes went well with the sort of attack first/only reputations they had. A fit Maj in August 2019 after 2 seasons of running at the ball and intercepting it would have been very near impassable. Its all academic now but realistically without Maj jumping 2019 would have been a very interesting year for us and the coach. He may have got us into finals and we may have extended his tenure till the end of this or next year.

If that had happened we may have had a small window of opportunity over the last 3 seasons and maybe pushed into the top 4 once or twice and still be thereabouts. The comp hasn't been that strong in that time. So it may have worked in terms of winning a flag but the cliff would be coming either this year or next and if we didn't get one we'd be facing some hard times.

What we are doing now is much better tho. It just makes more sense. The club has articulated a plan, not only with the draft but how we play, which we certainly never heard before, (whether it was there or not, we never heard about it.) Alot of other stuff, training and on field standards seem to have improved if what the coach says in public is anything to go by and we have a good group of young players under 24.

2018, we were playing off for the spoon in the last game of 2017.

At the end of 2018 our biggest weakness was outside run. That and jz kicking straight were all that kept us out of finals. Gaff and Polec were great options in that context as was Hall. They were quick fixes but effectively targeted our biggest weakness. I wouldn't call it "topping up" as such but recruiting for what we were missing.

In the 2018 season JZ had moved forward and kicked 40 goals, Maj had become one of the comp's elite intercept marks and Jed got fit then went thru the comp like a wrecking ball. Chasing finals at the end of that season wasn't a bad decision on the face of it. The comp was even, there were no dominant teams and we played a style of footy that was hard, contested and should stand up in finals. But after what happened with Maj it was clear Brad had no heart for footy anymore.

After the 2018 draft we got two of the highest ranked wings in the comp (Polec and Hall) to go with our own highly ranked defensive wing (Dumont.) They were both attacking players but Dumont's defensive attributes went well with the sort of attack first/only reputations they had. A fit Maj in August 2019 after 2 seasons of running at the ball and intercepting it would have been very near impassable. Its all academic now but realistically without Maj jumping 2019 would have been a very interesting year for us and the coach. He may have got us into finals and we may have extended his tenure till the end of this or next year.

If that had happened we may have had a small window of opportunity over the last 3 seasons and maybe pushed into the top 4 once or twice and still be thereabouts. The comp hasn't been that strong in that time. So it may have worked in terms of winning a flag but the cliff would be coming either this year or next and if we didn't get one we'd be facing some hard times.

What we are doing now is much better tho. It just makes more sense. The club has articulated a plan, not only with the draft but how we play, which we certainly never heard before, (whether it was there or not, we never heard about it.) Alot of other stuff, training and on field standards seem to have improved if what the coach says in public is anything to go by and we have a good group of young players under 24.

Fantastic post of reflection - well stated. Injury has ravaged us each time we have had the slightest sniff. 9-0 a couple of years earlier and atop the ladder and we got decimated by injury. very frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back