Review Semi Final, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs [Moratorium on negative opposition posting]

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So.. what other sports are on until April?
NHL mate. Doesn't start for a while but once you get your eye in for tracking the puk it's electrifying. Choose a Canadian team over a US team and you'll feel much more invested. Oilers are my team. Just sayin 😏

Considering how many goals come from free kicks getting frees paid for or against should be a large part of training, up there with kicking, hand balling and marking

Premierships are so, so rare. It's easy to forget that losing a semi final by a point is a fecking incredible achievement.

There are many examples of teams that were great for a few seasons and don't have 'anything' to show got it.

2021 wasn't quite it for the lions. Yeah, there's a few holes in our game plan. But get a few of our X factor players and we won't be going anywhere.

P.S. I'd still like a Cam cuddle.

Now in history but in reflection who should have played and who not ?

froggy from the outset for gardener
ballendon for Payne
matho for cocky for me

Last 3 years in finals..

Last 3 years top 4..

Only 1 team can win....17 teams can't win

We have been up there, giving it our best shot. That shot may have been a lot better had we not had the injuries to our better players etc (and other forces)

We get those players back next year, with some luck as well, injury free we reset and have another go, we have the team to do that.

It's not that easy to win a flag, but we will not give up, we will keep having a go.

We are the Brisbane Lions......we will be back!:brisbane:
Was at work today and still thinking about our game and the season. Couple of people coming up with the chockers tag already. Right at the moment with our team we can beat anyone WITH OUR BEST 22. If we have injuries to key components then all it is showing at the moment we currently don't have the depth. Andrews on one leg and Gardiners shoulder hanging by its thread shows Fagan's confidence in our surplus. Does that make us chockers , NO WAY but at the moment for us to win the big one we need our best 22 available. Are we are good side- YES, are we a premiership contender team - yes but with provisos at the moment.

Now in history but in reflection who should have played and who not ?

froggy from the outset for gardener
ballendon for Payne
matho for cocky for me

Could have swapped Andrews forward and Payne back a bit earlier.

Andrews looked more promising in forward line.

Well what a bloody flat feeling, I was too emotional to come online last night after the game, I can never recall being so wild re umpiring, took me an hour to get to sleep, I get over it quick though all settled down now.... I haven't read over the thread but for those who watched it on the TV was the umpiring as bad as it seemed to be live, easy to get caught up in boos, hisses and a woe is me mindset live at the game.

FWIW I thought Keidean Coleman and Hugh McCluggage were huge for us, Kiddy is going to be a star, the way he moves reminds me of Simon Black.
The last time i was that annoyed with umpires in a footy game was when Fitzroy were downright cheated in a game against Adelaide in Adelaide in 1991.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at work today and still thinking about our game and the season. Couple of people coming up with the chockers tag already. Right at the moment with our team we can beat anyone WITH OUR BEST 22. If we have injuries to key components then all it is showing at the moment we currently don't have the depth. Andrews on one leg and Gardiners shoulder hanging by its thread shows Fagan's confidence in our surplus. Does that make us chockers , NO WAY but at the moment for us to win the big one we need our best 22 available. Are we are good side- YES, are we a premiership contender team - yes but with provisos at the moment.

Paul, I'm not sure any team has the depth to cover the loss of their key talls. You take the equivalent of McStay, Hipwood, Gardiner & Andrews (I know both backs played, but were far from full fitness) out of any team & they'll be found out.

And if you did have sufficient coverage with talls to come in & adequately perform like your first stringers, then I doubt you'll be keeping them long, they'll get poached by other sides.

A couple of guys I saw today at work were both Essendon supporters, so they certainly weren't slinging the Choker tag around, they were more in the camp of most opposition supporters in that we were a tad hard done by.

Ah, well. Onwards & upwards.

Anyone who isn't a Dogs fan can clearly see the umpiring was so unbalanced it actually ruined the game. Lions should have won. Sorry that you now have a 'finals record' issue when this game was stolen from you by some of the worst, biased umpiring I've seen in all my years.

Could have swapped Andrews forward and Payne back a bit earlier.

Andrews looked more promising in forward line.
As long as Payne comes along as a key defender,maybe that's something they could consider in 2022, especially with Hipwood unlikely to make any meaningful contribution until late in the season

Sure Andrews has been an AA defender but at times in 2021 he struggled and at worst looked defeated and dispirited once or twice.

A move to the forward line might give him a new lease of life and reinvigorate him.

Worth at least thinking about IMO

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Question: If we finished 5th, beast Essendon and then lost in the same fashion to the dogs, is our season viewed differently?
Internally probably the same I feel. Disappointment but reality of juggling injured and returning players from injury, depth concerns.

Externally ending the season 5th and then finishing in 5th in a brave loss would be marked as about right.

Finishing 4th we have to entertain the bulk and probably unwarranted criticism with the headlines 1-5 record, straight sets, backline woes.

I am gutted with that game. Yes I wanted Brisbane to win.

I am not going to bother to post my thoughts on that final quarter. Im not going to mention the umpiring in that final quarter I am seething about it. Brisbane should of won. I really wanted Brisbane to win so at least there is certain path that at least one non vic side made the grand final.

Saying that, Brisbane has a very young group coming through.

Chin up you lot. There is a bright future ahead for this club and you lot deserve it for tolerating that dire 2010-18 period.

Really annoys me now that social media has got a hold of the Rayner Mathieson clip that the odd person are taking cheap shots at Mathieson.
Sure you may not like him on field, that’s fine but what do you as a middle aged person with a garden bed as a profile picture personally gain out of bullying or putting down another human showing some vulnerability.
He’s a misunderstood individual Rhys. Haven’t enjoyed the ridicule he’s received this year.

Internally probably the same I feel. Disappointment but reality of juggling injured and returning players from injury, depth concerns.

Externally ending the season 5th and then finishing in 5th in a brave loss would be marked as about right.

Finishing 4th we have to entertain the bulk and probably unwarranted criticism with the headlines 1-5 record, straight sets, backline woes.

I know its a half glass/full empty situation.

But I rather be in your clubs position than freos.

Freo have got a young list but have been knocking on the door for finals in the last 2-3 years, we just can get in yet.

You guys in the last 3 years have banged on the finals door and not only opened it but destroyed it too. At least you have a very young list that made top 4 in the last 2-3 years. Yeah you only won one final in that period, but its better than nothing.

I have always had a soft spot for Brisbane Lions with that 1999-2004 period.

I want Brisbane to rise again. We need at least one good Queenland side doing well for the sake of the AFLs expansion plans. And Brisbane right now are the likely choice as it stands.

Back