Autopsy AFL 2021 First Semi Final - Lions v Bulldogs Sat September 4th 7:20 EST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 46 40.7%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We don’t look like fools though. The only supporters who think it was fair and square is the bulldogs. Name another time that the AFL community united like this over a bullshit ‘make team xxxxx win’ directive. Hmm let me guess, the 2016 AFL Grand Final. Check the AFL social media, everyone is United in the same thoughts except WB supporters. I watched it with a WB supporter last night who also agreed you got a decent rub of the green. Be like them, take the win but acknowledge that you had a helping hand.

End of the day you won and nothing is going to change that, but it was clearly influenced through the umpires. Had we got to play to the same rules we would have won by 5 goals.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the finals series - you’re either gonna get shepherded through to another premiership or you’ll get stopped by one of the remaining 3 teams. Hopefully the latter. Good luck.

Edit - didn’t see you’re not a dogs supporter - post still stands. 80% of the AFL community is in agreeance that last night was an umpire assisted win.
Your hatred and bias seeps right through this. You sound like an entitled campaigner.

Your hatred and bias seeps right through this. You sound like an entitled campaigner.
Nah. I accepted that Melbourne was better than us 2 weeks ago, they will be premiers this year.

I’m not going to accept that you didn’t get a massive umpiring advantage last night. Sure you won, but it was assisted. There is literally video footage of both teams having different rules sets being applied. Is what it is :).

We don’t look like fools though. The only supporters who think it was fair and square is the bulldogs. Name another time that the AFL community united like this over a bullshit ‘make team xxxxx win’ directive. Hmm let me guess, the 2016 AFL Grand Final. Check the AFL social media, everyone is United in the same thoughts except WB supporters. I watched it with a WB supporter last night who also agreed you got a decent rub of the green. Be like them, take the win but acknowledge that you had a helping hand.

End of the day you won and nothing is going to change that, but it was clearly influenced through the umpires. Had we got to play to the same rules we would have won by 5 goals.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the finals series - you’re either gonna get shepherded through to another premiership or you’ll get stopped by one of the remaining 3 teams. Hopefully the latter. Good luck.

Edit - didn’t see you’re not a dogs supporter - post still stands. 80% of the AFL community is in agreeance that last night was an umpire assisted win.
And who are you to say another team will be carried to another flag. Your club was looked after like babies by the AFL with things like enlarged cap space.

Lions 69-59 clangers, 68-54 inside 50s, lost clearances 47-37 despite having the dominant ruckman on the ground, far more marks inside 50s, uncontested possessions 207-189.

Seems to me the Lions were less efficient with their ball use and had more than enough opportunities to win...........but it's the fee kick count their fans are focussing on, even though the Dogs did not directly score a goal directly from their frees.

Fagan is too smart to say "we wuz robbed" and thankfully for Lions fans will focus on his team's real flaws.
When a team wins/loses by 1 point umpiring decisions come into it. You could say Brisbane should have been better so umpiring didn't make a difference, but same could be said for Bulldogs. If Bulldogs were better then they wouldn't have needed umpiring decisions to be the difference but they weren't and the decisions were the difference

And who are you to say another team will be carried to another flag. Your club was looked after like babies by the AFL with things like enlarged cap space.
I’m not gonna comment on this because I assume it was during the Bears merge? I was too young to understand what was happening during the merge.

The 2016 flag is literally asterisked by everyone except Bulldog supporters. At the end of the day though, every supporter would do what the Bulldogs are doing and refute the claims and bury their heads in the sand, I’d do the same - we all look through our team coloured glasses - except last night 80% of the community is looking through the Lions glasses.

Anyway, onto the future - gotta go speculate on the Neale go home factor now.

Good luck next week 👍🏻.

Mate, he is the best. He has already polled 80% of the "AFL community" who told him last nights win was umpire assisted. He could be Santa. Uses a sleigh and reindeer to travel all around Australia and got the poll done in one night.

Nah. I accepted that Melbourne was better than us 2 weeks ago, they will be premiers this year.

I’m not going to accept that you didn’t get a massive umpiring advantage last night. Sure you won, but it was assisted. There is literally video footage of both teams having different rules sets being applied. Is what it is :).
That's very true. We got pinged for a throw, then 30 seconds later Zorko thought he was a boundary ump and launched it over his head, Lions got a goal out of it. So we can strike that goal off the score for you.
As well as in the last quarter Neale got a VERY soft in the back free kick against Libba, who rolled him in the tackle. Now if anyone can watch Vandermeer's rushed behind in the last minute and say that's not in the back, I'd question their ability to understand the game. So we'll just give Vanders that free kick, probably slots it since he's 2m out, put us down for another 6 points. So we're at 72-84 at this point.
Now we better take off Fullarton's goal as well, since Zorko was holding Smith so he couldn't impact the contest. So we'll just drop the Lions down to 66, for the sake of fairness.
It's very fair of you to bring to light these indiscretions on the Dogs players. I know we won, but you really wanted everyone to see that one team truly did deserve the win. So kudos to you.

Mate, he is the best. He has already polled 80% of the "AFL community" who told him last nights win was umpire assisted. He could be Santa. Uses a sleigh and reindeer to travel all around Australia and got the poll done in one night.

Dogs received 10 free kicks in the last quarter. I’ve reviewed and 2 were OOF, 7 were correct and 1 was incorrect (mcinerney paid for a throw where it just bobbled out).

Then the other obvious error against Brisbane was HTB not paid against Dale.

Other than emotional reactions to losing, I’ve yet to hear which actual decisions (in addition to Dale HTB) it was that robbed the Lions? In that last quarter almost all of them were absolutely no-brainer decisions.

Obviously the timing of the Dale one is what has brought the umpiring into focus - particularly when closely followed by the ruck infringement, which was a standard decision whenever a ruckman runs under the ball and just collects his opponent without touching the ball.

If Neale had kicked the goal from the Daniel deliberate and Lions won the Dogs fans would be losing their minds in here instead of Lions fans. And most impartial supporters would be saying it was an umpiring howler that cost the Dogs the game.

It’s an emotional game and Dogs got the rub
of the green, but no more than most games where one side usually gets a few more decisions go their way.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a footy head journo (Whately perhaps) does some deeper analysis and we can get an educated review of what actually happened. Maybe Lions were robbed… it just wasn’t what I saw on the night or when analysing the last quarter decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That's very true. We got pinged for a throw, then 30 seconds later Zorko thought he was a boundary ump and launched it over his head, Lions got a goal out of it. So we can strike that goal off the score for you.
As well as in the last quarter Neale got a VERY soft in the back free kick against Libba, who rolled him in the tackle. Now if anyone can watch Vandermeer's rushed behind in the last minute and say that's not in the back, I'd question their ability to understand the game. So we'll just give Vanders that free kick, probably slots it since he's 2m out, put us down for another 6 points. So we're at 72-84 at this point.
Now we better take off Fullarton's goal as well, since Zorko was holding Smith so he couldn't impact the contest. So we'll just drop the Lions down to 66, for the sake of fairness.
It's very fair of you to bring to light these indiscretions on the Dogs players. I know we won, but you really wanted everyone to see that one team truly did deserve the win. So kudos to you.
😂😂

We could go on with this all night, I’m not gonna go back through the replay to pinpoint moments, one that comes to mind though is the Bont getting paid a mark over Oscar who had first hands to it and his jumper literally 500mm off his body in the hand of English.

You know you got every 50/50 call and we didn’t, anything that could give you an advantage was paid and anything that could give us an advantage wasn’t.

Enjoy the rest of the finals 👍🏻.

😂😂

We could go on with this all night, I’m not gonna go back through the replay to pinpoint moments, one that comes to mind though is the Bont getting paid a mark over Oscar who had first hands to it and his jumper literally 500mm off his body in the hand of English.

You know you got every 50/50 call and we didn’t, anything that could give you an advantage was paid and anything that could give us an advantage wasn’t.

Enjoy the rest of the finals 👍🏻.
We could. Which is a perfect demonstration of why it's ridiculous to suggest that the Lions were robbed. Both teams had free kicks paid/not paid. No game is ever being perfectly umpired. We can reel off the frees that were missed for us as well. Some that resulted in a scoring shot for you, and others that took away a scoring shot for us.

If that's what you need to tell yourself to cope, all power to you. There's been some embarrassing posts by Lions supporters in the last 24 hours.

We could. Which is a perfect demonstration of why it's ridiculous to suggest that the Lions were robbed. Both teams had free kicks paid/not paid. No game is ever being perfectly umpired. We can reel off the frees that were missed for us as well. Some that resulted in a scoring shot for you, and others that took away a scoring shot for us.

If that's what you need to tell yourself to cope, all power to you. There's been some embarrassing posts by Lions supporters in the last 24 hours.
Mate, this is going to be my last post on the matter.

Go back through and read the posts in the game day thread yesterday during the match. It was a clear thought that the Dogs were getting a significant rub of the green, the only ones who didn’t agree were Bulldog supporters.

Agree to disagree, I don’t give a * as it’s not going to change the result.

For the third time, best of luck next week. 👍🏻

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that happens CONSISTENTLY in every game. It just fitted the part to pay the Dogs a free at such a pivotal time. Scores are even and there’s a minute left, let them play. We wouldn’t have been in this situation if 90 seconds earlier the HTB call on the dogs player who dragged it in got paid.

Instead of blaming it on a pre-determined outcome from the umpires your ruck would better off learning from it for the next time his team is level with a minute or so to go in a semi.

That Zorko throw and the goal had all of us at home go ballistic.

And you can add Bontempelli's goal called touched where there was clearly insufficient evidence to say it was actually touched from the blurry footage.

In fact the video reviewers didn't say it was touched-only that the ball "deviated".

Footballs when kicked can swing, some kicks swing early, same late, that's a fact, even when they are not touched.

Whatever caused the deviation, it was not a clear umpiring mistake and the goal should not have been over-ruled.

What are we at now 66-90?

Mate, this is going to be my last post on the matter.

Go back through and read the posts in the game day thread yesterday during the match. It was a clear thought that the Dogs were getting a significant rub of the green, the only ones who didn’t agree were Bulldog supporters.

Agree to disagree, I don’t give a fu** as it’s not going to change the result.

For the third time, best of luck next week. 👍🏻

The poll at the top of the page says 58% who voted predicted the Bulldogs would win. Only 40% Brisbane. So Brisbane winning would have been a travesty, the majority agreed.

The good news is without Lachie Neale next year you won't get close enough to us to incorrectly blame the umpires when you lose. Everybody wins. Except Brisbane.

Hopefully this clears up any confusions as to which team benefitted from the umpires on Saturday night and guess what?? Surprise surprise... it wasn't the Bulldogs. Brisbane got an armchair ride... now go off lick you wounds and stop making excuses...

I think the problem is the way we refer to umpire's decisions as 'FREE' kicks.
There's nothing free about them.
In just about every other sport they are referred to as PENALTIES and thus the focus is on the perpetrator rather than the person that is getting a 'FREE' kick. It's why Essendon panicked and gave away all those free kicks to Weightman the other night and suddenly Weightman is the villian??? That makes no sense. The kid doesn't duck or dive and anyone saying he does needs to actually watch him play.
People will argue and look to the decision where he was pushed out of bounds. Obviously not a free kick but that was one howler and now the kid gets death threats??
The reporting should have been that Essendon had 4 penalties handed out to player 1, 2 and 3 and then supporters can vent their rage on the person from their own team that has let all their teammates down not the young gun getting to the ball first and trying to make the play.

Never ceases to amaze me how dogs supporters revel in the embarrassment that is umpiring. Dogs people on here are jumping for joy at being handed a win they did not earn. They do not win tonight without umpiring assistance but that's been a common them all year.

Condolences lions fans, hopefully your club grows a pair and takes the AFL and this result to court to have it overturned.
It never ceases to amaze me how bitter St Kilda supporters are towards the doggies.

Never ceases to amaze me how dogs supporters revel in the embarrassment that is umpiring. Dogs people on here are jumping for joy at being handed a win they did not earn. They do not win tonight without umpiring assistance but that's been a common them all year.

Condolences lions fans, hopefully your club grows a pair and takes the AFL and this result to court to have it overturned.

When a team wins/loses by 1 point umpiring decisions come into it. You could say Brisbane should have been better so umpiring didn't make a difference, but same could be said for Bulldogs. If Bulldogs were better then they wouldn't have needed umpiring decisions to be the difference but they weren't and the decisions were the difference

Back