Unsolved The Family Murders

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

Cendrillon

Draftee
Feb 22, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
It will be fascinating to find out the reason why it has been pulled.... (i) dropping the businessman's real name in a different context, (ii) the story of Dunstan in the sauna with teenage boys, (iii) all the others to choose from!! :) I'm not suggesting any would be valid objections, just interesting to find out who cares so much...

acerdude

Rookie
Aug 27, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
It will be fascinating to find out the reason why it has been pulled.... (i) dropping the businessman's real name in a different context, (ii) the story of Dunstan in the sauna with teenage boys, (iii) all the others to choose from!! :) I'm not suggesting any would be valid objections, just interesting to find out who cares so much...

My money is on it being Mr R.

Zebo

Debutant
Sep 1, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Manock interview?

Zebo

Debutant
Sep 1, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree too that these errors should really be fixed in any revised edition. The events after Richard's body was found is oddly disjointed and jumbled which made it a confusing read, Mandrax and other drugs were found present in Richard's system on 26/7/83 and Trevor Kipling and Bob O'Brien were notified straight away and then found BVE's Mandrax prescription fairly quickly but didn't first question BVE until October?

Another error in Chapter 17 has the prosecution adjourning their case in BVE's trial on Friday 25/5/84 when the trial was held over October-November 1984.
Thanks. That chapter is a real dog”s breakfast of the timeline. Completely misrepresents what the police did (presuming Bob O’Briens version is correct, which one would hope it is). The Manock interview has also clearly been cut and pasted. Makes you wonder….

Bits

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thanks. That chapter is a real dog”s breakfast of the timeline. Completely misrepresents what the police did (presuming Bob O’Briens version is correct, which one would hope it is). The Manock interview has also clearly been cut and pasted. Makes you wonder….

The interview with “Scott” the gap-toothed English immigrant is also mostly copied straight from the internet.

If she got basic facts wrong such as dates, that are widely available to check, what else is wrong? And why didn’t she have a researcher or editor to check before it went to print? Sloppy.

Cendrillon

Draftee
Feb 22, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Manock interview?
Yes, although if he gave the interview knowing it was being recorded not sure what the grounds would be to suppress. The info he supposedly told at the end re the pool party implies knowledge of key players.

Bits

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Me too... and it means he was aware of the book and had his lawyer ready to pounce, the ink was barely dry having only been out a few days.

Well his lawyer turned up at court ready to argue about the suppression being lifted, when his name wasn’t even on the list for consideration. Wouldnt surprise me if it was him. Just surprised it took a couple of days so that copies got into circulation.

wintermutes_

Draftee
Mar 21, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
I also noticed the use of the business mans name in the book too 😂 very happy that I downloaded the audiobook as soon as audible released it. Also downloaded a backup copy to my local computer just in case.

im a little miffed to how the business man could have had the sales stopped given that his name is very easily found in court documents online.

still haven’t been able to track down mr. b’s name if anyone wants to give me a few
Directions on where to look..?.

Last edited:

Dell43

Debutant
Dec 31, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Allan Barnes sister was just on the news calling for the suspects to be named.
Cheers Macka
Just watched the interview, interesting about her comments BVE may have been the delivery boy. I've often considered this as a possibility.

Bits

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Cheers Macka
Just watched the interview, interesting about her comments BVE may have been the delivery boy. I've often considered this as a possibility.
The delivery boy who took a piece of the action maybe.

I can see him being the delivery boy for some of the legal/medical/business types, but with the bottom tier transgender, drug addled, share house types he was definitely the top dog.

wintermutes_

Draftee
Mar 21, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Me too... and it means he was aware of the book and had his lawyer ready to pounce, the ink was barely dry having only been out a few days.

although if he is so astute why was it not blocked before it was released?

well actually to answer my own question, perhaps there is some quirk in the relevant laws , where you can only stop publication after a release date? Or they had to wait and see if his name was in there before he could go ‘there see!’ And get it blocked

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
hard to track down pics from the inside but here's one of Patches

Hard to be absolutely certain given the quality of the photos, but the first one may be of 'Leanne' (David).

The second one features Judy (a female, not a drag queen) & Kris (who went by the name of 'Duo Mirage' and performed at many clubs including straight ones around Adelaide).

Hard with the blurry photo to work out exactly which drag queen is behind them but it may be Maggi Scott.

Photos may be from a show the did at Patches called 'Leading Lady'.

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Cant think of what brand they might be

Cigarettes look to be 'Benson & Hedges Stirling' which I smoked around that time. I recognise the guy on the right but can't recall the name right now.

Judging by the make-up of the one peeking from behind 'Severe Inflation', there's a good chance it is 'Rose Leaf'.

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Black Rose Piano Bar

Which was originally called 'Fiddlers', run by Trevor Royal, and where people used to go to drink on after every other gay venue had closed.

There were no doctors we knew of to refer guys with sore and infected bums, so they suffered in silence and went back for more food and shelter.

Wasn't the STD Clinic on Nth Tce open yet? It was certainly operating in the early 80s.

The Mars Bar – opened Dec 1976, closed Easter Sunday, 1985.

THe Mars Bar opened again in the mid-80s as 'Reflexions' before later reverting to Mars.

The Green Dragon – Corner South Terrace and Pultney St, Adelaide.

First photo features Skye Brookes & Rose Leaf (right) posing in front of a huge print of international star Divine, who signed it after her appearances at the Dragon around the time of her hit 'You Think You're A Man'.

Not too sure of the performer holding the 'I slept with Storen' sign though it looks a little like 'Edna' (Stephen) who used to host 'Wally's Follies' - the drag show at the Mars Bar. The drag queen in the background watching looks to be 'Lyla'.

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hostess/Chatelaine Joanne Sinclair (Collier) at the Colonel Light Hotel (Ace of Clubs - upstairs) in the early 80s
IMG_20181128_0112.jpg

Back