Opinion Collingwood will return to finals footy in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
These threads absolutely leave easy targets on backs, but I’m happy to cop that because the more I look at this, the more I believe the Magpies will rise back up the ladder quicker than people believe.

The narrative at the moment appears to be that Collingwood have massive holes in its list and need a full rebuild to contend again. I don’t think that’s the case and believe they are just 2 positions away from being able to content again.

I had a look at the list of under 28s in another thread and posted below -

But is that 22-28 really that bad?
View attachment 1228134
They are 9/22 at the moment and the 7 highlighted are at the very least B-graders in the whole competition. I don’t think it’s as gloomy as people might think at the Pies.

That 7 highlighted compliment the below 21 and under batch.

View attachment 1228137

I’ve put a line through the names who either haven’t debuted or haven’t shown enough for me to think they’ll definitely be successful. Permitting anything drastic, the other 11 should be there in the next few years plying their trade and the 7 highlighted are the cream of the crop for Collingwood.

Add Nick Daicos to that.

Taking a look at a 22 with the younger players and senior players under the age of 28, it’s evident a CHB and FF are the only two pieces of the puzzle.

FB: Ruscoe, Moore, Noble
HB: Quaynor, Maynard, Crisp
C: J Daicos, N Daicos, Poulter
HF: Bianco, Kelly, Henry
FF: McCreery, JDG, Ginnivan
R: Grundy, Adams, Macrae

INT: Lynch, Wilson, Brown, Murphy

I’ve gone with Maynard at CHB as he repeatedly had successes against KPFs who played that lead up role similar to a CHF. Also had JDG up forward as that is what we are blatantly missing, a KPF, but JDG isn’t necessarily a bad option to build your forward line around anyway.

Obviously have left out Pendles, Howe, Roughead, Sidebottom, Elliott (29) and Mihocek (28).

Do you reckon the Pies are more than 2 years away from returning to finals footy? I think they’ll be back in 24 months time.

You might not have all those players listed in two years. Dees are apparently sniffing around Maynard.

That’s a pretty young midfield too, I’m not sure it will be finals ready in two years. Seems a bit optimistic.

It’s a close comp though and two years is a long time.

You might not have all those players listed in two years. Dees are apparently sniffing around Maynard.

That’s a pretty young midfield too, I’m not sure it will be finals ready in two years. Seems a bit optimistic.

It’s a close comp though and two years is a long time.
From all reports, Maynard was waiting on the announcement of the new coach and is extremely happy with McRae. Initially concerned a few weeks back, but not so much now based on the murmurs out of the club.

You’re right though about the midfield being very green. It is. In 2 years, there should still be Elliott getting minutes in there to support the kids and I’ve robbed Peter to pay Paul with JDG at FF considering his run in the midfield over the last two months.

Who’s your CHF, Kelly?

No CHB, FF or CHF. They’re some big holes.
Highly rated within the club and from what I’ve seen of him, he is quality but just hasn’t had luck staying on the park at senior level. He actually broke his wrist or collarbone on debut against your mob last year or the year before.

The two positions we absolutely have to identify solutions for are the CHB and FF positions. We need that brute to replace Mihocek. In terms of a second KPF, Ollie Henry isn’t a KPF but he is one of the most athletically gifted Collingwood players I’ve seen in a long time and clubs can function with 1 gorilla alongside 1-2 medium sized like Henry and 3 smalls.

It assumes two things.
1) that all of those fringe guys come on.
2) that enough sides above you fall out.

On point one, it’s relatively safe to assume 1-2 of Ruscoe, Bianco, McCreery, Lynch, Wilson and Murphy ultimately don’t make it. Injuries, being found out at the level. It happens.

It also assumes that by 2023 Nick Daicos and Macrae will be ready to shoulder almost the whole burden. History shows they will need more time.

On point 2, I firmly only see Geelong and West Coast in the drop out frame by 2023 with Essendon a possible. But you’ll have Richmond, Freo, GC hopefully, Carlton probably and maybe Hawthorn pushing for those spots.

Honestly, I think the Pies are more likely to be back from 2024 onwards and maybe even 2025. The 100 games marker is so crucial for a lot of players and most of those will be getting there in 24-25.

To be honest Collingwood are probably the least likely team in the comp to be playing finals in 2023.

Nick Daicos is a good start, but they really need to add quality to a pretty underwhelming u-23 group.

Would be interesting to see the approach next off-season with Moore and De Goey as free agents. There's a good chance compensation for those two could net top 5 picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't the op think the Pies were a chance for finals after rolling Melbourne in round 12?

He is an optimistic fella

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Didn't the op think the Pies were a chance for finals after rolling Melbourne in round 12?

He is an optimistic fella

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Why don’t you find the post and quote it then if that was true?

FB: Ruscoe, Moore, Noble
HB: Quaynor, Maynard, Crisp
C: J Daicos, N Daicos, Poulter
HF: Bianco, Kelly, Henry
FF: McCreery, JDG, Ginnivan
R: Grundy, Adams, Macrae
Not trying to be ignorant, sorry, but is this meant to be impressive?

Most of these are kids, one of whom isn't even listed.

To be honest Collingwood are probably the least likely team in the comp to be playing finals in 2023.

Nick Daicos is a good start, but they really need to add quality to a pretty underwhelming u-23 group.

Would be interesting to see the approach next off-season with Moore and De Goey as free agents. There's a good chance compensation for those two could net top 5 picks.
That’s the big question. Cash in or hold on?

Graeme Wright or Craig McRae spoke about this during the coaching announcement presser that this exact dilemma was discussed at Hawthorn where there needs to be an appropriate mix between selling the experience to build the youth, but in the process, places undue pressure and stress on the youth having to front up against 17 other AFL sides with more experience and strength so it’s never always a good solution to ‘cash in’ on those experienced commodities.

Thing is other teams will improve as well though, think if we are being serious, Collingwood are currently Adelaide from 3 years ago atm. Still a long way and time before finals imo
This is the thing. Other clubs may not improve. Clubs can very quickly regress too. Collingwood may actually regress massively for all we know. It’s hard to pick.

I definitely didn’t expect Sydney to shoot up so quickly. Same with WCE dropping off so badly.

Not trying to be ignorant, sorry, but is this meant to be impressive?

Most of these are kids, one of whom isn't even listed.
I did leave out everyone 28 years and older, which includes about 8 player from our current 22 that will still be there next year and majority will still be there by 2023. I’ve cut it off at 27 years of age and younger for the sake of showing there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Any of the names you simply don’t rate? Would love to hear your thoughts as to why.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back