Rumour Lachie Neale to request trade back to WA

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm particularly interested in the front-loading of Neale's contract. The same thing happened when Carlton traded Gibbs to the Crows.

The player has an inflated pay packet in the first couple of years and then cuts & runs when the annual rate drops only to get the inflated rate at the new club..

Surely this is an area that needs further discussion and the possibility of a "payback" rule being introduced.

It's already happened with Neale when he was at Freo moving to Brisbane.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
If true, it’s a pissweak excuse for Neale to request a trade back to Freo. Surely when you sign a 5 year contract you weigh up the probability of starting a family during the term of the contract and where you will be living. If you have any doubts you don’t enter into the contract. If I was Brisbane and their supporters I would be livid. Really poor from Neale. Living in Brisbane until the child is 2 when his contract finishes is hardly too onerous.

When you sign a 5 year contract in 2018 you probably don't take into account the pandemic that's going to hit the world at the beginning of 2020.

There have been times when people in QLD have been locked out of WA for months at a time and they've been better off compared to NSW and Vic.

Even being a resident of WA with a home, family and job won't get you back in to WA from NSW or Vic.

If he moves home to WA, if the WA teams are required to HUB in another state and families aren't allowed or not allowed immediately, she'll have her family support while he's away.

Pretty much once WA declares another state to be Medium, High or Extreme Risk it's nigh on impossible to get an exemption to get into WA.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm particularly interested in the front-loading of Neale's contract. The same thing happened when Carlton traded Gibbs to the Crows.

The player has an inflated pay packet in the first couple of years and then cuts & runs when the annual rate drops only to get the inflated rate at the new club..

Surely this is an area that needs further discussion and the possibility of a "payback" rule being introduced.

I think Ablett repaid money when he moved from GC back to Geelong because of this reason

We could call that the "Bradley Hill Rule".

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
He didn’t have to compete in a team with Fyfe. The AA means nothing when players like Nic Nat were included this year. It’s difficult to predict what shelf life Neale has left. No team wants to end up screwed like WCE have been with Kelly.

NicNat clearly deserved AA this year, what planet you living on?

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I am willing to take that risk.

Freo took risks in 2010-15. Got finals in 5 out of 6 years. Now..... have not played finals in that 2016-2021 period.

I am keen to take the risk. Sick and tired of freo losing guys like Langdon, Hill and Weller every 2nd season. Neale is quality.

Freo finished 11th with 10 wins. A guy like neale can get us to finals again.

Mundy, Neale, Fyfe, Brayshaw and serong in the middle. Talent wise is good enough to play finals. Theres 2 brownlow medalists out of those 5 blokes.

I dont care if freo plays elim finals in 2022 and 2023 and gets an elim final win or 2 before we drop. I am desperate for freos young players to play and win finals.

Don't forget Darcy feeding it to them.

Mar 13, 2006
Perth Central
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NY Giants, UM Wolverines
Can see Freo going…
No thanks, we’ll go to the draft with 6 and 8 and finish off our rebuild for the next 10 years. There’s some pretty handy WA kids this year with no real flight risks.

Sorry Lachie.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
12 months ago Neale was the brownlow medallist agreed, but he has now had an injury interrupted year so wouldn't say he is in career best form. He is another year older and freo haven't exactly head-hunted him promising him the world. I think if they ask for too much we say thanks but no thanks, they won't be getting 2 x top 10 picks for him thats for sure. Happy to hit the draft and try again next year (if he is still interested and will be cheaper).
Who is suggesting 2 x 10 picks? He's not that good.

Fox reported it would be the pick for Cerra from Carlton, plus another pick in the teens.

RightYouAreThen

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freo have the chance to send themselves toward a premiership window this year through astute draft picks (possibly 2 firsts and 2 seconds due to Cerra trade). However, out of the blue the Lachie Neale returning to WA rumors are starting to circulate and people are jumping on board. I would hope that the Club are stronger than the "feel good" factor of Neale returning for a huge cost. Will Neale (with 3 years left - he's 29 early next year) take Freo to a premiership? I doubt it (he's an inside mid and Freo can recruit good forwards/outside/inside mids this year if they stay strong) Freo need an entirely different profile of players than that which Neale brings. I hope they don't give up the house for an aging inside mid who won't get them to the premiership in the next couple of years :( A finals appearance or 2 in the next couple of years (maybe) with Neale is the thinking of teams that are desperate rather than switched on and planning a considered run at being amongst the elite teams :( Maybe 2 kids (a forward and a mid? with the potential for 200+ games each) for an injured 29yo inside mid??????
No feel good here. We dont want him. We want our 6 and 8 in the draft and continue to build

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brownlow medallist vs a bloke who barely averages 23 touches hmmmm
Not sure you'd find anyone willing to pay more for the same player but 3 years older. Look at his stats from his last couple years at Freo, he was always a great player, he has improved since becoming a lion but not enough to offset the 3 extra seasons he has played. I would happily keep Cerra over getting Neale back if I had the choice.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unless Freo think their list is going to contend, I don't think he is worth paying overs for, I think the draft is a better way to go.

On the other hand, if WC thinks they still have the list to give it a shot, the risk may be worth taking.

Freo Hitman

Premiership Player
Mar 9, 2003
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Freo are innocent bystanders here and don't need Neale. We need to continue on our oath at the draft with 6 and 8.
I will be a disappointed Freo member if we trade Neale in 🤬

100% - the only way I'd entertain grabbing Neale is if and its a big IF and thats if Cerra did an about face and stayed meaning the only thing up for trade would be our 1st rounder this year and next year but I would be demanding a 2nd rounder this year and next or its no deal . Who is actually pushing for this deal ???

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Unless Freo think their list is going to contend, I don't think he is worth paying overs for, I think the draft is a better way to go.

On the other hand, if WC thinks they still have the list to give it a shot, the risk may be worth taking.

I think the Eagles know their list is cooked, and going to hit the draft hard for the next few years.

Back