Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Midsommar (2019) - Extremely creepy and somewhat uncomfortable viewing at times but was an extremely enjoyable movie. About an 8 out of 10.

Cruella (Disney+ )

Not a bad origin movie - maybe 30 minutes too long

Not having had much to do with the 1996 movie my memories are over 50 years old going back to the animated movie.

Really the only terrible thing was the dog cgi - just terrible - enough to take me out of the movie.

Like a dog on a bone Emma Thompson chewed scenery till it fell to pieces. But that was her character but it felt over the top.

Vacation Friends

It started off really well and pretty funny, kinda loses its way halfway through but still worth finishing. I really like John Cena, find him very likable. 3/5

Murder at 1600.

Oldie but really enjoyed. Wesley Snipes oozes cool, plenty of action and stays exciting a lot of the way through. I really enjoyed it. 4/5

Cruella (Disney+ )

Not a bad origin movie - maybe 30 minutes too long

Not having had much to do with the 1996 movie my memories are over 50 years old going back to the animated movie.

Really the only terrible thing was the dog cgi - just terrible - enough to take me out of the movie.

Like a dog on a bone Emma Thompson chewed scenery till it fell to pieces. But that was her character but it felt over the top.
Felt like Devil wears prada meets Harley Quinn. Pretty lame overall, save for the reference to pongo and perdita

Worth on Netflix

Think Erin Brokervitch but 9/11 instead of dodgy water. Liked the first hour but then degenerated into schmaltz, If its your thing it might be worth watching but in the end i felt like it wasted my time. 4/10
I’ve followed the subject matter in the past - interesting concept but overall the movie waded towards overly sentimental tones. Without Keaton, this was a midday movie at best. There were some plot lines that added nothing to the movie.

The better half and I recently watched Respect, a loose biopic of Aretha Franklin's life and having read two biographies on Franklin and her sisters I was keen to see this.

A solid cast, Jennifer Hudson was superb playing Aretha and Forrest Whitaker as her father was sublime as usual - but I'm not sure they needed to focus on the families relationship with Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement of the era as a underlying narrative? Spoiler, While Aretha did sing at some of King's fundraising functions, she did not sing at his 'funeral', it was Mahalia Jackson who sang Precious Lord.

Related, while I expected some artistic license and historic inaccuracies, ignoring Aretha's older sister Erma (an established recording artist years prior to Aretha's career) influence in establishing her younger sisters career was a strange oversight. NB. Erma Franklin originally recorded Piece of my Heart before Janis Joplin later made it into a big hit.
Erma also introduced her sister to producer Jerry Wexler of Atlantic Records, not Aretha's new husband/manager Ted White, for one thing Wexler and White were fierce industry rivals. Wexler was instrumental with launching Aretha's career, which I'm pleased to say was correctly portrayed in the movie.

Despite my critique and although this screenplay is just a snapshot of her life, it was still an absorbing and entertaining production, 7/10.

Last edited:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
What is it about Tarantino movies, that once I switch on, I’m in for the long haul. No matter how many times I’ve seen them.
Even on free to air, I actually put up with the ads. Cant watch anything else on FTA.
Just gets me in every time.

What is it about Tarantino movies, that once I switch on, I’m in for the long haul. No matter how many times I’ve seen them.
Even on free to air, I actually put up with the ads. Cant watch anything else on FTA.
I feel this exact same thing but can't really explain it. His movies flow so well that even though I know exactly what is going to happen each time, it's still an enjoyable experience.

Always find myself going back to Inglorious Basterds the most.

I feel this exact same thing but can't really explain it. His movies flow so well that even though I know exactly what is going to happen each time, it's still an enjoyable experience.

Always find myself going back to Inglorious Basterds the most.
Yeah, different for me, that’s the one i lose interest on more than the others. The opening half hour is unmissable, but I kind of get bored towards the end.
Still can’t turn off though!

Mr. Roosevelt (2017) - Netflix - Quirky indie film about a girl who flies back to Austin after her cat dies. Whilst there she stays at her ex's place with his new girlfriend. I found it rather funny but there isn't a whole lot to say other than people are just trying to get by. 7/10.

Magnolia (1999) - Netflix - Holy ******* s**t. I couldn't do this justice. Full of emotion. Instant top 10 favourite film. 10/10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr. Roosevelt (2017) - Netflix - Quirky indie film about a girl who flies back to Austin after her cat dies. Whilst there she stays at her ex's place with his new girlfriend. I found it rather funny but there isn't a whole lot to say other than people are just trying to get by. 7/10.

Magnolia (1999) - Netflix - Holy ******* sh*t. I couldn't do this justice. Full of emotion. Instant top 10 favourite film. 10/10.
I really liked Mr Roosevelt, its one of Netflix hidden gems that i never see recommended, another couple are Results and Win it All, also both on Netflix and are really good. Ive watched all 3 of these at least 3 times

When I watched Jackie Brown my cat had a seizure and died next to me, so that was one way to distract me from it. My least favourite Tarantino film but honestly one that I should rewatch because if ever there was a movie who might have been affected by my experience watching it, it’s the one who I had to go and dig a cat grave in the backyard in the middle of.

When I watched Jackie Brown my cat had a seizure and died next to me, so that was one way to distract me from it. My least favourite Tarantino film but honestly one that I should rewatch because if ever there was a movie who might have been affected by my experience watching it, it’s the one who I had to go and dig a cat grave in the backyard in the middle of.
Jackie Brown is really good - watched it earlier this year.

(Sorry about your cat thats horrible ) but i was the same re. Jackie Brown hated it. Fast fwd many many years to last year rewatched it. Didnt mind it.

I really liked Mr Roosevelt, its one of Netflix hidden gems that i never see recommended, another couple are Results and Win it All, also both on Netflix and are really good. Ive watched all 3 of these at least 3 times
Thanks I'll check them out!

Deepwater Horizon - this film was way better than I’d thought it would be. It’s really gripping and realistic in its depiction of the disaster. Whalberg at his best and Russell fantastic.

I’d give it 8/10

The Outpost - a film about the Afghan War, starring the sons of Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson, from a director whose previous film was about Reagan's assassination attempt which had been based on a book by Bill O'Reilly? I was excited for a hardcore right wing action propaganda piece! I found the first half a bit of a drag, with overly macho bravado of mostly thinly drawn characters and not much going on. The second half was based around the action setpiece of a 45 minute battle scene, as their (incredibly stupidly located, albeit accurate to the true story the film's telling) base at the bottom of a deep valley came under assault from the Taliban. This second half of the film was relentlessly tense and very well done, not afraid to let us keep our bearings of who is where and why, despite the intensity of the action. Very well done on that front, not as offensive as it could've been, all around a good war movie.

I thought the battle pr0n was well done but otherwise it didn't have much going for it. There were too many characters spread thinly so there was little emotional engagement. You shouldn't need large captions telling you the character names in the next sequence.

Apart from brief bookend captions the movie didn't get into the rationale behind a US base being set up in a valley surrounded by enemy forces. The end credits turned into an honour-fest for the US soldiers in that battle but where was the reflection that it was a monumental * up? And that it was the US forces who were the invaders to Afghanistan? The recent withdrawal of US forces has emphasised what a waste of time, money and lives the whole exercise was.

Account has some nice twists in it

Once Upon a Time in America now on Netflix- epic in every way, had to watch it over two nights. Artistically shot, and some of the period detail is incredible- worth a look for this alone. But even at nearly four hours, some of the characters and story arcs still seemed underdeveloped, and the story never really gels for mine.

Finally, I can only imagine Leone was going through a bitter divorce when making this. You can hardly do anything today for fear of being accused misogynistic, but this is the real deal. Nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back