Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe! It's also a shame that he will be in the US next month. Feel like it would be a good to have one of Australia's biggest artists and wa-native playing at the GF.

@all Has there been any announcements around that?

Get Ian Kenny to front up. Ripper performer.

Remember it well, Ben Graham had said in the media he would stop Carey and would nullify him like he did in the home and away season (Duck had just come back from shoulder surgery and shouldn’t have played ) keeping Carey to a few possessions.
Duck was on a radio show with Hird and Dunstall, where they teased Duck about this and I always remember his response was ‘he said that did he’.
Dunstall replied ohh ooh I think the Duck is serious.
The rest is history

Remember it well, Ben Graham had said in the media he would stop Carey and would nullify him like he did in the home and away season (Duck had just come back from shoulder surgery and shouldn’t have played ) keeping Carey to a few possessions.
Duck was on a radio show with Hird and Dunstall, where they teased Duck about this and I always remember his response was ‘he said that did he’.
Dunstall replied ohh ooh I think the Duck is serious.
The rest is history
Pig, Jimmy & Rooboy was a great show

I remember this well also. It absolutely pelted with rain. We got drenched. Round 17 1990 v Geelong at Kardinia Park we beat them by 21 points in the pouring rain also. We were a really good wet weather team in the 1990's.

I remember this well also. It absolutely pelted with rain. We got drenched. Round 17 1990 v Geelong at Kardinia Park we beat them by 21 points in the pouring rain also. We were a really good wet weather team in the 1990's.

Wayne Carey is the best player I've seen but I'm happy to debate that given I may be biased. However, Wayne Carey is the best wet-weather tall I have ever seen and refuse to debate that. No one got close. Remember the '99 final against Port - incredible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wayne Carey is the best player I've seen but I'm happy to debate that given I may be biased. However, Wayne Carey is the best wet-weather tall I have ever seen and refuse to debate that. No one got close. Remember the '99 final against Port - incredible.

Not sure I've ever seen another game where a player simply decided to win the game in the blink of an eye.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure I've ever seen another game where a player simply decided to win the game in the blink of an eye.

I have. Friday, July 9, 1993 at the MCG. Wayne Carey vs Essendon.

1st vs 3rd. We'd led by 26 during the first quarter, but fell 17 down during the third.

Longmire & McAdam each kicked 6. But Carey took 6 contested marks in the last quarter, kicked 4 goals for the match. We kicked 8.8 to 1.2 in the last quarter to win by 38 points. The man just decided to win the game for his team. The most brilliant solo performance I've ever seen.

Enjoy

1st vs 3rd. We'd led by 26 during the first quarter, but fell 17 down during the third.

Longmire & McAdam each kicked 6. But Carey took 6 contested marks in the last quarter, kicked 4 goals for the match. We kicked 8.8 to 1.2 in the last quarter to win by 38 points. The man just decided to win the game for his team. The most brilliant solo performance I've ever seen.

Enjoy

1631093958646.png
You muppet umpire, paying a push against the horse for that!

1631094096907.png
Or paying that as a block!!!!!

Take this!
1631094157692.png

How good was the fridge - be honest. Was a catalyst for the rise of the roos - and I was fuming when he was recruited. But in my opinion, along with the big russian, Mark Roberts was brilliant at North.

I think that 1993 was the year when the kerridge (as it became to be known) was called the Plain Award.

Enjoy

Obviously Peter Matera was a fan of the Fridge :)

Enjoy

100 x likes!

Even including 1996 and 1999, there was no more fun time to be a North supporter than the first 2/3 of 1993. We were rubbish in 1992, and after the Foster's Cup thrashing against Adelaide, and Schimma's sacking, were just about spoon favourites heading into the season. Expectation was so low that anything decent was a bonus.

But the football we played in that time was exhilarating. No coach has ever made such an instant impact as Pagan in 1993. We beat the the reigning premiers West Coast in Perth, we beat the runners-up Geelong down there, we beat the Prelim Finalist Footscray at their ground, we beat Collingwood at Vic Park by 83 points, we beat both 1993 Grand Finalists, we were on top of the ladder for 13 weeks, we kicked 100+ in 14 of the first 15 weeks, we kicked our highest ever score against the Swans, our biggest loss was 7 points. McAdam kicked 38 goals in his first 6 games. It was so much fun. If you can't remember it, or even if you can, go back and look at the highlights. Better still, watch this. You think footy is good now? Watch this.

Sadly, the final act didn't turn out our way. The week after the Essendon game, Carey got injured. So did Rock and Romero. Longmire did his knee in the last round. Laidley got rubbed out. The rest of the list, especially McAdam, ran out of puff. The finals system only gave the top 2 a double chance and we fell apart in the finals. But it was part of the education that got us to the next 7 Preliminary Finals and got us two flags.

1993 was so much fun.

Enjoy

Muhammad Ali enjoying Longmire's mark at the 3:59 mark

Love the commentary in those games. Especially Peter McKenna. He calls it as he sees it and doesn't mind getting stuck into the umps when they screw up.

Unlike today where everything is sugar coated and the commentators I assume are instructed not to be critical of the umpires.

At least I think it's still like that, usually watch with the volume turned down now. The decline in commentating is very sad.

Love the commentary in those games. Especially Peter McKenna. He calls it as he sees it and doesn't mind getting stuck into the umps when they screw up.

Unlike today where everything is sugar coated and the commentators I assume are instructed not to be critical of the umpires.

At least I think it's still like that, usually watch with the volume turned down now. The decline in commentating is very sad.

Yep. And back on the 'Commentary and Media' aspect of this thread - the commentators are totally engaged in the how the game feels. Not stats. No 'lab'. Not pre-rehearsed catch-phrases. They aren't delving into their 'research' which nowadays translates to spewing out each player's backstory. They lack polish - McKenna and Quinlan actually aren't that good - but are completely immersed in the game as a whole. They are loving the game. They are talking to and relating to the fan on the couch - not some Supercoacher or anyone who wants to dissect the game to a series of pre-determined outcomes or clinical analysis of if you do X and Y then Z will happen. And they aren't trying to outdo each other with hyperbole. They aren't even aware that anyone is analysing them because they weren't. They are actually just making an exciting game more exciting for the viewer.

Anyway. It's past 9.30. Well past this old-timers bed-time.

Last edited:
Yep. And back on the 'Commentary and Media' aspect of this thread - the commentators are totally engaged in the how the game feels. Not stats. No 'lab'. Not pre-rehearsed catch-phrases. They aren't delving into their 'research' which nowadays translates to spewing out each player's backstory. They lack polish - McKenna and Quinlan actually aren't that good - but are completely immersed in the game as a whole. They are loving the game. They are talking to and relating to the fan on the couch - not some Supercoacher or anyone who wants to dissect the game to a series of pre-determined outcomes or clinical analysis of if you do X and Y then Z will happen. They aren't even aware that anyone is analysing them because they weren't. They are actually just making an exciting game more exciting for the viewer.

Anyway. It's past 9.30. Well past this old-timers bed-time.
Prefer 'Hame' myself.

Dangerfield what a star. Kicks it to Tomahawk. Mark. Goal! Cats get another one. Really helps if you have no vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back