It’s Flea time - Cody Weightman appreciation thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Doggy Dan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think that was probably just to fast-track his fitness, small forward in the VFL is not a great position to play! I’m not saying he couldn’t do it at AFL level but it’s nice to have a young small on our list whose never once mentioned moving into the midfield or whose name has been brought up to move into the midfield tbh. I’d love to see him just focus on becoming one of the best small forwards in the comp without worrying about the midfield at all! He’s such a natural talent in the forward line too I honestly think he’d be wasted. I get the feeling he just wants to kick goals, which is nice we don’t have too many like that! Jamarra being another one

The only thing I don’t like about this comment is how awkwardly Jimmy Bartel tried to explain the same thing on Sunday😂

manutd/dogs

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
United
Last one, I promise:
codyssaltfarmer.jpg

Angak

All Australian
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's such a shame he is not playing this week. I'd almost put us favorite if was playing.

Regardless we have that superstar small forward on our hands that we've all been screaming out for. I honestly wouldn't trade him for any small forward in the game even Liam Ryan who I love.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
It's such a shame he is not playing this week. I'd almost put us favorite if was playing.

Regardless we have that superstar small forward on our hands that we've all been screaming out for. I honestly wouldn't trade him for any small forward in the game even Liam Ryan who I love.
Bev compared his impact to that of Liam Ryan’s, so that’s incredible wraps for the young fella.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Could be all-Australian as soon as next year, in a position we were crying out for.

Huge talent. I reckon he could be anything.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Definitely should be in at least AA squad contention next year with a full season IMO. How exciting is watching him fly for a mark than bounce back up and tackle or kick a quick snap goal. You shouldn’t be able to do that. He has that rare combination of aerial/ground skill.

Having a prime Naughty and Weightman in the same forward line is going to be ridiculously hard to stop, obviously very different players but the way they attack an aerial contest then follow up with immense attack at ground level, how do you defend that? Good thing is Jamarra coming through is quite similar in that regard, and might just be more skilful/talented then them both. Throw in English with his height and reach and that’s going to be a pretty formidable marking group who offer as much as any starting 4 forwards defensively. Throw some hard nut speedsters like Garcia & VDM alongside them…. Times are looking good

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've been a Weightman fan since before he was drafted and was stoked when we picked him up, but I didn't expect him to be this good this quickly.

Cody lives near me and I see him up my local shops on a near daily basis, and I'm often in the same shop/cafe as he is.

Can I just say what a pleasant and polite young man he is?

I've seen him have interactions with a variety of people, and even had a few myself (not dagging him, more sharing space in cafes etc) and he's always just a really genuine young bloke.

Even now he's on crutches after his ankle surgery and honestly I've heard him get asked about it four or five times and on every occasion he's answered the random asking him about it in a really friendly way. Certainly more patient than I'd be lol.

This morning he was telling the owners of the cafe about how he went back to his Mum and Dads after his surgery because he was struggling by himself.

Completely unaffected, just a nice young bloke (also I will always love him for crushing Essendon dreams in a final lol).

Last edited:

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Young fella has a lot of upside, but I'd sit him down and make him watch every game Stephen (Tip Rat) Milne played. He could learn a lot.

Yeah, he's gotta learn when to fly and when to crumb. We know he can do it, his GOTY nomination last year was a crumb and snap over his head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Leon Davis medallist has followed it up with another worst on ground display. Could be a gun if he played the ball instead of playing for whistles. The majority of his goals come from milking. He needs to go back to the vfl.

Don’t you have some windows to lick?

Hate to say it but I almost kinda agree with Danster, as much as I can't stand his s**t posting.
Weightman's constant playing for frees is getting old, I watched him closely at the game on Wednesday and the constant looking at umps and throwing the hands up is starting to become a bad look, even other Doggies supporters around me mentioned it, I know we don't like digging on our own but I can't help it in this case.
Kids got alot of upside but he needs some time back in the VFL to work on some basics, like when to fly, when to crumb, keep your feet etc.

Angak

All Australian
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cody had an interrupted pre-season with ankle surgery.

To me he looks like he trying too hard. Not playing in his natural flow that we know he can. Flying at everything, bumping into players etc... He just needs to relax and let his natural game come to him.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cody was fantastic last Thursday and while other players were missing easy set shots, he made sure he was the man to kick them. Just need him to follow it up with another strong performance and help the team get a win this week. Go Cody!
Absolute gun, kid was in a moon boot until feb but yeah good to see even Dogs supporters digging the boots in on a 20yo playing in a s**t forward line (rounds 1-2) 🙄

He does get a good run from the umps, he’s very noticeable and knows how to milk them - definitely doesn’t play for them though and will always go ball first. Not his fault he gets paid em and some less noticeable players don’t. Stop infringing him when he’s first to the ball every single time and he won’t get so many.

Will spend quite a bit of time as the best small/medium forward in the comp at some stage I have no doubt about it, not many going around that have his complete skillset

Western Bulldogs young gun Cody Weightman has copped a good behaviour bond and ordered to donate to charity after running a red light in Melbourne’s CBD.
Weightman, 21, appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Thursday where he pleaded guilty to one traffic offence.

The court was told the Doggies small forward ran a red light on the corner of Victoria and Elizabeth Streets in June last year.

Prosecutors submitted the traffic light, a red arrow, had been red for 1.5 seconds when Weightman entered the intersection outside the Victoria Markets.

His vehicle was captured on a traffic camera.

Weightman, who appeared in person at court, said he didn’t recall the event but was “willing to take responsibility” as it was his car.

[PLAYERCARD]Cody Weightman[/PLAYERCARD] pleaded guilty to running a red light outside Victoria Markets. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos

Cody Weightman pleaded guilty to running a red light outside Victoria Markets. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos
“I know nothing about you. I don’t know if you own three or four cars but at the end of the day it won’t change the decision I am going to make,” Judicial Registrar Barry Johnstone said.

“Having a vehicle is a heavy responsibility. It’s a lethal weapon.

“Sometimes it’s a number of weeks until you realise an offence has actually happened and you can’t recall … ‘was it me or someone else driving the car’.”

Mr Johnstone took into account Weightman was a first-time offender and pleaded guilty to the charge at the earliest possibility.

The matter was adjourned for 12 months, during which he will be on a good behaviour bond.

He was also ordered to make a charity donation.

Weightman made his AFL debut with the Western Bulldogs in 2020.

The club has been contacted for comment.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Western Bulldogs young gun Cody Weightman has copped a good behaviour bond and ordered to donate to charity after running a red light in Melbourne’s CBD.
Weightman, 21, appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Thursday where he pleaded guilty to one traffic offence.

The court was told the Doggies small forward ran a red light on the corner of Victoria and Elizabeth Streets in June last year.

Prosecutors submitted the traffic light, a red arrow, had been red for 1.5 seconds when Weightman entered the intersection outside the Victoria Markets.

Weightman, who appeared in person at court, said he didn’t recall the event but was “willing to take responsibility” as it was his car.

Cody Weightman pleaded guilty to running a red light outside Victoria Markets. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos

“I know nothing about you. I don’t know if you own three or four cars but at the end of the day it won’t change the decision I am going to make,” Judicial Registrar Barry Johnstone said.

“Sometimes it’s a number of weeks until you realise an offence has actually happened and you can’t recall … ‘was it me or someone else driving the car’.”

Mr Johnstone took into account Weightman was a first-time offender and pleaded guilty to the charge at the earliest possibility.

The matter was adjourned for 12 months, during which he will be on a good behaviour bond.

You really know there are too many AFL accredited journalists when a traffic offence needs to be reported.

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond

Why did this end up in court? I thought you just pay the fine and move on with life.

Why did this end up in court? I thought you just pay the fine and move on with life.
I was thinking the same. Most people would just pay the fine (or not even pay it at all) instead of electing to have the matter heard and determined by a Magistrate.

Especially if you're an AFL player earning 200,000+. Just pay the $454 fine and move on.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

You have to go to court for that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back