Josh Fahey What pick will he be selected

Mar 26, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
We have already moved mountains to get a crack at Josh. Born and bred Giant.

What pick to you expect him to drop to?

Do we take him if Swans bid at 12?

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I’d say if Swans bid at pick 12 then we let him go. Think he will slide quite a bit just based on listening to Cal Twomey I am guessing somewhere in the 25-40 range

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
This is a funny year all over, in that different draft watchers on BF have vastly different assessments on kids (let alone understanding where the clubs may rate kids). Fahey is one, with a couple having him top 10, others 10-20, and others outside 25. Josh Gibcus is another, with some at top 5, some top 10, and others outside 20. There is a lot of discussion of players being fairly closely rated in the 6 to 20 spectrum, so it depends on a club's needs and exact assessment of a kid.

I do think he's tarred with some ''overhype'' that academy kids often get due to the Vicmedia animosity to northern clubs and the academy set-up.

I think he's a little bit superfluous to our needs, given how well Cumming, Ash, Peatling went this year, plus others available such as Wehr who haven't had a run yet. At Swans pick 12, and if Jordan Dawson does leave (so hope he doesn't!), I could see them bid - the question is whether it's worth our pick 13. I'd be a little surprised if any other club before our pick were to select him - I'm not seeing too many with a need for his type, with plenty of other needs-type options available. I'm probably of a view to let him go to Swans in that case - we could always see if we could tempt him back after 2 years, and he's in the same city.

Twomey's ratings do give me cause for hope - he's not in his top 30, and he generally has his ear to the club info around this time.

Mar 26, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
No way do we use that second pick on him IMO

I think we are committed to him come rain or sunshine. Dump 13 probably 15, accumulate picks that give us huge flexibility on trade night. Take the overs I'm sure we will get offered from multiple clubs.

Lock in 2 (what a bonus) - best available, lock in Fahey then on the night we have next years 1st plus points to strike for the "yearly slider" and other clubs have paid the bulk of the price. Plus on the night 13 turns into 15 but if we pre-trade say to a pick in the 30's & 40's good chance because of Daicos and Darcy those picks might actually improve a few places - we win again.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I think we are committed to him come rain or sunshine. Dump 13 probably 15, accumulate picks that give us huge flexibility on trade night. Take the overs I'm sure we will get offered from multiple clubs.

Lock in 2 (what a bonus) - best available, lock in Fahey then on the night we have next years 1st plus points to strike for the "yearly slider" and other clubs have paid the bulk of the price. Plus on the night 13 turns into 15 but if we pre-trade say to a pick in the 30's & 40's good chance because of Daicos and Darcy those picks might actually improve a few places - we win again.

In the past, I would assess that we haven't felt that we ''must'' take a player, but obviously have matched a number of those mid-teens/early 20s bids that might have been slightly too early. Depends on what we see as a need.

You would hope the team has some contingencies ready for the night. Obviously picks may change hands before the National Draft night, but right now Gold Coast (with #19 & #22) or Hawthorn (with #21 & #24) would be good to trade with. Both, I'm fairly sure, would like a second early pick rather than 2 later ones (especially Gold Coast with its full list). The ''points credit'' would be in our favour, but somewhat irrelevant. If Sydney called out Josh's name (would be physically #14 after Daicos and Darcy), GWS pulling the trigger on either would see most of the points required come from the first pick, with the second pushed back a couple of spots. That would still give us a chance at a KPD with the remaining mid-20s pick, such as Leek Alleer or Rhett Bazzo you would hope.

Mar 26, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
You would hope the team has some contingencies ready for the night. Obviously picks may change hands before the National Draft night, but right now Gold Coast (with #19 & #22) or Hawthorn (with #21 & #24) would be good to trade with. Both, I'm fairly sure, would like a second early pick rather than 2 later ones (especially Gold Coast with its full list). The ''points credit'' would be in our favour, but somewhat irrelevant. If Sydney called out Josh's name (would be physically #14 after Daicos and Darcy), GWS pulling the trigger on either would see most of the points required come from the first pick, with the second pushed back a couple of spots. That would still give us a chance at a KPD with the remaining mid-20s pick, such as Leek Alleer or Rhett Bazzo you would hope.

I hope we are in talks to dump 13, strategically I prefer we trade down on this occasion. Can see a few opportunities to accumulate points and hold our gunpowder in reserve for live trading.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Think we should let Fahey go if he's taken before 13, it's not exactly a position of need as we have quite a few of the wing/half back types. Happy to bid on him after 13 but don't think it's worth burning draft capital in order to get him that high.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Think we should let Fahey go if he's taken before 13, it's not exactly a position of need as we have quite a few of the wing/half back types. Happy to bid on him after 13 but don't think it's worth burning draft capital in order to get him that high.
We could swap with hawthorn, 13 for 21+2022r2.
Use pick 21 on Fahey. Of course, we might get a better deal for pick 13.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
We could swap with hawthorn, 13 for 21+2022r2.
Use pick 21 on Fahey. Of course, we might get a better deal for pick 13.
I'm not too intrested in trading down to be honest, unless the board breaks really well for us and we have an assortment of options that are going to be avaliable for us at 21. If anything I'd be willing to move up a few spots into the back end of the top 10 to secure a KPP at either end.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
I'm not too intrested in trading down to be honest, unless the board breaks really well for us and we have an assortment of options that are going to be avaliable for us at 21. If anything I'd be willing to move up a few spots into the back end of the top 10 to secure a KPP at either end.
How would we do that though without trading hopper or green to Richmond for pick 7?
I don't think Richmond would accept 7 for 13 and 2022r1.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
How would we do that though without trading hopper or green to Richmond for pick 7?
I don't think Richmond would accept 7 for 13 and 2022r1.
It doesnt have to be Richmond all the teams in the competition value every player in the draft differently so if whoever ends up picking at 8 has a lot of players they like still on the board then they might be pretty open to trading their pick. If they think they can trade back and still get a player they like it might not even cost that much.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
In the past I would have agreed with you. The pointy end of the draft is always tasty. But in this draft it looks like an even pool from 5-20 so I wouldn't support us trading up.

You typically loose a lot and we just don't need to. There will be tall options available at 13

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
In the past I would have agreed with you. The pointy end of the draft is always tasty. But in this draft it looks like an even pool from 5-20 so I wouldn't support us trading up.

You typically loose a lot and we just don't need to. There will be tall options available at 13
It all depends on the cost of course and how far we're moving up and to what player we're moving up for. If we we're to move up 3-5 spots and it wasn't going to cost us our future first or any key players (highly unlikely we'd trade any player) to secure a target like Amiss then I think that would be a sound decision.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
It all depends on the cost of course and how far we're moving up and to what player we're moving up for. If we we're to move up 3-5 spots and it wasn't going to cost us our future first or any key players (highly unlikely we'd trade any player) to secure a target like Amiss then I think that would be a sound decision.
It wont be an empty cubboard is what im saying.

There will be a few options left around that pick

Back