Dan Andrews vs Gladys Berejiklian: Whose damage is worse?

Who caused more damage:

• Dan Andrews

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Glad Berijiklian

Votes: 68 66.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually it has retained some of its random wandering weirdos aspect, which I kind of enjoy. But the purportedly high end was just chain outlets at the toorak road end and they were already leaving premises prior to any pandemic as much more accessible elsewhere (especially online) and the smaller designers with promise have been decamping for over a decade too. And I do find it a bit sad to see, but these things happen to great regions all the time

Chapel was never high end, what it was was cool fashion. Lots of hip and eclectic places. Just imo, what killed them was the death of chapel as a club destination. The loss of the gay nightclubs on commercial road, places like the Conti disappearing, and the nightclubs becoming dated hurt the place. All of that made it the home of celebs and footballers (many women used to drive out of their way to the Coles because of the male talent who used to go there :p). Remember the jam factory used to be where all Melbourne's film premiere occured.

By the 2000s those crowds had moved elsewhere in melbourne. Crown, stkilda, and the Melbourne CBD revitalisation all played their part. Sad, because I spent most weekends in the 90s being at chapel for at least one night, but it's what happens when you take crowds for granted.

Chapel was never high end, what it was was cool fashion. Lots of hip and eclectic places. Just imo, what killed them was the death of chapel as a club destination. The loss of the gay nightclubs on commercial road, places like the Conti disappearing, and the nightclubs becoming dated hurt the place. All of that made it the home of celebs and footballers (many women used to drive out of their way to the Coles because of the male talent who used to go there :p). Remember the jam factory used to be where all Melbourne's film premiere occured.

By the 2000s those crowds had moved elsewhere in melbourne. Crown, stkilda, and the Melbourne CBD revitalisation all played their part. Sad, because I spent most weekends in the 90s being at chapel for at least one night, but it's what happens when you take crowds for granted.
Yeah. I’ve never had any claim to the cool set but the nightclub scene moving on has hurt. And the cool, hipster set have moved their browsing to places like Fitzroy / Brunswick for record shops and off-the-wall clothing ideas. It’s been that way for as long as I have been here - since 2012 the for lease signs and pop up stores have been abundant.

Having said that, I am really sad for smaller retailers going under everywhere over the past 18 months. This pandemic has been devastating and we won’t know the full impact in terms of mental health, impact on younger generations, for years to come.

Lol country road isn't high end fashion. That's not even high end in ******* Myer. Better than Kmart isn't high end fashion.

The high end places are where

The food is meh these days. As Proper Gander said it's the pop ups providing most of the value.

The main drag of chapel killed chapel, because it's a headfu** to go to.
FMD. Do you argue just for the sake of it? I said 64 shops closed during 2020 lockdown and you then said it is a “low budget” strip. I can tell you most low budget outlets could not afford to rent in Chapel St. but what would I know?

Dinosaur designs is a nice outfit, but can be visited in CBD, Chadstone etc. likewise there are a few higher priced franchise shops like Zimmerman etc, but again present at every mall and selling through David Jones. They’re disappearing fast and moving prior to lockdowns. Eateries are good, especially on a budget, but I can’t really think of anything high end about the food on Chapel street. You can get a decent Pho but if you’re a real Vietnamese food lover you would be advised to visit a dozen spots in Richmond first. Likewise for other cuisines
Forget “high” end. All I was saying is that it has NOT been a “low budget” strip as Ned_Flanders suggests. Tokyo Tina is one of my favourite Japanese in Melbourne. Thirty Eight Chairs serves one of the best pizzas (Bond st off Chapel). Hawker Hall, Maha East, Omnia

FMD. Do you argue just for the sake of it? I said 64 shops closed during 2020 lockdown and you then said it is a “low budget” strip. I can tell you most low budget outlets could not afford to rent in Chapel St. but what would I know?

you were the one who said it had plenty of high end fashion outlets - not me

chapel has been struggling for years. covid just made it worse, as it has all struggling retail precincts

High end hasn’t rented in Chapel street for decades? It’s a place of franchise outlets at the northern end, and vulnerable strugglers elsewhere for decades now.

Nobody, well me at least, has an issue with the statement that the closure of smaller business is devastating. I just think Chapel street itself is a bad choice as a poster child. Pick somewhere else for your example and we can put it to bed.

Or let’s just put it to bed. Business going under is horrible and I think we probably share some common ground on this

High end hasn’t rented in Chapel street for decades? It’s a place of franchise outlets at the northern end, and vulnerable strugglers elsewhere for decades now.

Nobody, well me at least, has an issue with the statement that the closure of smaller business is devastating. I just think Chapel street itself is a bad choice as a poster child. Pick somewhere else for your example and we can put it to bed.

Or let’s just put it to bed. Business going under is horrible and I think we probably share some common ground on this
Agree. Wasn’t me who raised Chapel St.

its too early to pick a symbol, as we are still in lockdown. The Melbourne Star maybe, but it’s location didn’t help. It was attracting 300,000 visitor pre lockdowns

Agree. Wasn’t me who raised Chapel St.

its too early to pick a symbol, as we are still in lockdown. The Melbourne Star maybe, but it’s location didn’t help. It was attracting 300,000 visitor pre lockdowns
Wait for your symbol. I have no doubt the impact of the last couple of years will be with us for years. I’m only guessing what it could be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gladys hasn't killed 820* people yet

So Dan Andrews is far worse.

Gladys won't escape unscathed. her ignorance about the seriousness of Delta has screwed Australia over.
*screwed NSW over

Blaming NSW for an outbreak spreading elsewhere is moronic in a global pandemic.

You're waffling. I suggest you re-read your post because it is all over the place.

If you use deaths for people with covid: Vic 823 to NSW 194.

340 Kids a week are admitted to hospital in Victoria for self harm because of a sense of helplessness
for baseline comparison it would appear to be 50/ week

Intentional self-harm hospitalisations by states & territories - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (aihw.gov.au)

although I don't know if my link is admissions only compared to ED presentations (it seems on the low side to me, but is official government data)
the reason this is significant is a few high risk patients who recurrently self harm, psychiatrists will have admitted in the past and find that the patient doesn't gain anything from admission, so ED will just patch up harm and discharge back to community follow up.

Good on Andrews? The same man who said a few weeks back, before our numbers started rising, that he agreed, supported, and did nothing to stop NSW getting priority over dosage supplies?

The only reason Andrews raised this yesterday was to get some "limelight points" because the Opposition had appointed a new leader and media outlets were focusing on that. Pure political grandstanding

As long as the imbalance with VIC is now corrected, and it bloody better be

I thought it was a response to the media report the night before. I don't think he could have ignored it. ANd victoria are now needing at least per capita distribution because our need is now as great (in terms of cases) as NSW when they started getting more than per capita share.

I thought it was a response to the media report the night before. I don't think he could have ignored it. ANd victoria are now needing at least per capita distribution because our need is now as great (in terms of cases) as NSW when they started getting more than per capita share.
Fair enough, and what if I told you Andrews was fully aware of what vac distributions NSW was getting, but only made a song and dance about it after the Herald Sun (yes, a Murdoch paper) published its report?

Fair enough, and what if I told you Andrews was fully aware of what vac distributions NSW was getting, but only made a song and dance about it after the Herald Sun (yes, a Murdoch paper) published its report?
Maybe aware they were getting more maybe wasn’t aware of the full amount but I think we are in full speculative area now

Back