Roast Our medical team / Injury prevention and conditioning staff

Mute Point

Team Captain
Apr 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's essential that guys like Scott, Taylor, Chom, Powell, etc add 3-4kg of muscle during the off season. Too many of our guys can't hold a tackle & not enough of our players can stand up in a tackle. An Indictment on the fitness staff that players in the system 3+ years don't look noticeably bigger than when they first arrived.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's essential that guys like Scott, Taylor, Chom, Powell, etc add 3-4kg of muscle during the off season. Too many of our guys can't hold a tackle & not enough of our players can stand up in a tackle. An Indictment on the fitness staff that players in the system 3+ years don't look noticeably bigger than when they first arrived.
I've mentioned this before but a knock on Curtis in his draft year was his tank and he had turned that around by last pre-season to the point where was finishing in the top few in the time trials. Presumably he's focused on that over size til now.

I've mentioned this before but a knock on Curtis in his draft year was his tank and he had turned that around by last pre-season to the point where was finishing in the top few in the time trials. Presumably he's focused on that over size til now.
Yeh it’s a bit of a conundrum trying to be super fit but also stack on the kegs

trying to find the right balance etc

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Agree. There's always a balancing act but none of those guys are going to suddenly be overdeveloped bodybuilders with 4kg more mass.

Someone like Spicer would need a bit more precision. Like a reverse Zurhaar - they need to refine their build somewhat but you don't want to mess with their special recipe.

Agree. There's always a balancing act but none of those guys are going to suddenly be overdeveloped bodybuilders with 4kg more mass.

Someone like Spicer would need a bit more precision. Like a reverse Zurhaar - they need to refine their build somewhat but you don't want to mess with their special recipe.
For spicer you would stick to 1-3/5 rep range for his fast twitch muscles, too many inexperienced guys in the gym think 12 reps will make you fast, so they pack on all this size but the catch is that their have worked their slow twitch muscles so they lose all their speed.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
David Noble was "irritated".....not a mood you want to put him in clearly.

I wonder if he was irritated or just slightly miffed when he heard about Jaidyn's mountain bike mishap.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
I get the sense that under the calm persona there's a ruthless campaigner that isn't gonna let anyone stop him from winning, no matter what colour your polo is.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
For spicer you would stick to 1-3/5 rep range for his fast twitch muscles, too many inexperienced guys in the gym think 12 reps will make you fast, so they pack on all this size but the catch is that their have worked their slow twitch muscles so they lose all their speed.

I agree re working on his power (though Themanbun previous comments about how different bodytypes might derive force in different ways has me reconsidering every assumption I have about this) but Phoenix probably does need some straight up hypertrophy too.

So he might yet get to have a summer of bro-weights, pizza and protein shakes while guys like Zurhaar get to enjoy a preseason of steamed broccoli with a side of white fish.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was thinking that we could just leave the roles vacant and save on soft cap spending. If we do this, our results in this area literally couldn't be worse than they have been for the past four years.
If they keep their receipts from the physio we could just reimburse the players, smart thinking.

I agree re working on his power (though Themanbun previous comments about how different bodytypes might derive force in different ways has me reconsidering every assumption I have about this) but Phoenix probably does need some straight up hypertrophy too.

So he might yet get to have a summer of bro-weights, pizza and protein shakes while guys like Zurhaar get to enjoy a preseason of steamed broccoli with a side of white fish.
His size will come even with his standard training plan now in addition with a slight calorie surplus. I’m just very cautious because I don’t wand him to lose his speed.

it happened to a player (I forgot who) at Carlton, Teague was saying how the players strength was his speed. One off-season/preseason he put on a ton of size and when he came back to training and was literally so slow and not mobile as he used to.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His size will come even with his standard training plan now in addition with a slight calorie surplus. I’m just very cautious because I don’t wand him to lose his speed.

it happened to a player (I forgot who) at Carlton, Teague was saying how the players strength was his speed. One off-season/preseason he put on a ton of size and when he came back to training and was literally so slow and not mobile as he used to.
Paul Ahern?

Eggs11

All Australian
Jul 18, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So have we made any progress at all with our entire (strength and conditioning) list rebuild?

20210928_144003.jpg

Back