Society/Culture Victoria Cross winner Ben Roberts-Smith - Allegations of war crimes

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course the Murdoch press is hailing this as vindication! Innocence! Heroes!

Pretty much just further proof that we’ll never end up prosecuting our own.
I get where you are coming from, but that these two sentences ar side by side should trigger alarm bells about objectivity.

New book out by reporter Mark Willacy:

Looks like an ADF witness/whistleblower to alleged Australian warcrimes has been 'sent a message' about her whistleblowing...

Defence Force relocates key war crimes witness after blast at her NSW home

August 26 2021

A witness in the Brereton Inquiry into alleged war crimes in Afghanistan has had her house targeted in an early morning incident that blew in windows and embedded glass in floors, ceilings and walls.

The Defence Force immediately relocated the witness and her family after the incident because of fears for their safety.

The witness — Captain Louise* — is a former special operations intelligence officer who deployed to Afghanistan in 2012-2013.
Broken window

New South Wales Police failed to find any suspects, and in responding to a complaint by the witness acknowledged that the investigating officer had "dropped the ball".

Captain Louise said that in November last year, she and her family were woken at 3:15am by several large blasts or crashes.

"I don't know how to describe that noise. It was shatteringly loud. And there was almost like three immediately following one another," she said.

Three windows at the front of the house were shattered, each containing two panes of glass.

"We had wooden floors. It had gouged the wooden floors underneath, it was embedded in the ceiling, over two-and-a-half metres [away].

"It was embedded in the ceiling and embedded all in the wall opposite. It was embedded in a wall immediately adjacent to the window as well. And in some spots, the glass was powder.

"Whatever they did required an awful lot of force."

During her deployment to Afghanistan in 2012-2013, Captain Louise was told by an SAS operator about a mass killing just hours after his patrol had returned to base.

The SAS operator, known as Soldier C, is the former husband of Captain Louise.

Soldier C is under investigation by the Australian Federal Police after Four Corners last year broadcast footage of him killing an unarmed and frightened Afghan in a wheat field in May 2012...

New book out by reporter Mark Willacy:

Have just finished this and can strongly recommend - elevates the soldiers (and others) who courageously spoke out against the vile culture being encouraged and facilitated by the NCOs.

Hastie, whatever you think of his personal and political beliefs, is also revealed as a pretty decent human being who faced some pretty challenging circumstances.

Some clarification about the disinformation campaign being run by News Corp, 7 News and the Daily Mail:

The “revelation” last week that all those SAS accused had been “cleared of any wrongdoing” and got an apology from Dutton is total nonsense. They are all still under active investigation.

There’s an active campaign to destroy confidence in the Brereton Report and the war crimes prosecutions.

Some clarification about the disinformation campaign being run by News Corp, 7 News and the Daily Mail:

The “revelation” last week that all those SAS accused had been “cleared of any wrongdoing” and got an apology from Dutton is total nonsense. They are all still under active investigation.

There’s an active campaign to destroy confidence in the Brereton Report and the war crimes prosecutions.
Everything this government touches gets covered in s**t.

Have just finished this and can strongly recommend - elevates the soldiers (and others) who courageously spoke out against the vile culture being encouraged and facilitated by the NCOs.

Hastie, whatever you think of his personal and political beliefs, is also revealed as a pretty decent human being who faced some pretty challenging circumstances.

I’ve just finished it too.

What struck me was the fact all of those who blew the whistle (and were interviewed for the book) have suffered irreparable mental or physical damage which will stay with them for life. A virtual life sentence if you will.

Whilst those who perpetrated the acts seem less likely to be held to account with every passing day. Now they have strong backing in some media circles to win their PR battle and hope the government quietly drop investigations.

Spoiler Alert - what shocked me was the book contains details of a meeting between the author and a soldier accused of war crimes. I didn’t expect any of them would be willing to talk, but one did. I won’t reveal details of what was said, but it gave a great insight into what was running through the heads of those perpetrating these acts.

Probably the best Australian book I’ve read in years, reveals far more background info than what’s been reported in the media.

Looks like his ex is in deep poo. Lies layered upon lies slowly being dismantled. It would not be fun being her friend, Danielle Scott. Wont be long before she has to go before a Supreme Court Judge and say how she came across Ben's email login and password...

Looks like his ex is in deep poo. Lies layered upon lies slowly being dismantled. It would not be fun being her friend, Danielle Scott. Wont be long before she has to go before a Supreme Court Judge and say how she came across Ben's email login and password...
Probably found it by digging in his backyard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Further reports from Kabul say there was one suicide bomber, not two, and eyewitness accounts say US guards indiscriminately lit up the area after the bomb went off, materially increasing the body/casualty count.

Yeah I'd probably start firing too if terrorists were taking over my city and people were running towards me and blowing themselves up.

Trespass and theft as well as perjury. She is quite the catch !

I guess with her ex looking at facing murder charges they are a match for each other.

This case is separate to the defamation case he has launched against 9 (the one in which 21 of his former SAS colleagues will testify against him), and the current investigation by the AFP for war crimes.

I’ve just finished it too.

What struck me was the fact all of those who blew the whistle (and were interviewed for the book) have suffered irreparable mental or physical damage which will stay with them for life. A virtual life sentence if you will.

Whilst those who perpetrated the acts seem less likely to be held to account with every passing day. Now they have strong backing in some media circles to win their PR battle and hope the government quietly drop investigations.

Spoiler Alert - what shocked me was the book contains details of a meeting between the author and a soldier accused of war crimes. I didn’t expect any of them would be willing to talk, but one did. I won’t reveal details of what was said, but it gave a great insight into what was running through the heads of those perpetrating these acts.

Probably the best Australian book I’ve read in years, reveals far more background info than what’s been reported in the media.
Do you think that the Australian government tries to protect negative military stories being published much more than other countries in this position?

We seem to try and hold the military forces at a very high level in terms of culture and respect.

Do you think that the Australian government tries to protect negative military stories being published much more than other countries in this position?

We seem to try and hold the military forces at a very high level in terms of culture and respect.

Yeah.

It was the ADF that wanted to strip the Meritorious Unit Citation from the SOTG. It was Dutton who overruled that after an intensive campaign led by Murdoch media and Channel 7.

There’s an active pressure campaign to deflect, downplay and ultimately bury the Brereton Inquiry and any possible criminal trials. It’s being carried out by several media organisations and political figures and lobbyists who have a vested interest in keeping the truth hidden.

A lot of populist media love to portray our diggers as infallible heroes, the facts don’t exactly match this so they need to be kept quiet. The Daily Mail, Channel 7 and News Corp got caught out with this last week when they ran those articles implying all the accused soldiers were “exonerated” as their employment show cause notices were withdrawn, whereas the truth was this was mostly due to them resigning from the military, and they are all under active criminal investigation by the AFP.

A lot of ex-SF have made a lucrative career out of public speaking and promotions, video footage of their colleagues executing civilians destroys their image so they need attack the Brereton Inquiry to protect their business model. Heston Russell, an ex Commando who does promotional speaking, has even posted pics on his social media showing people doing an incredibly childish thing, hiding copies of Mark Willacy’s book “Rogue Forces” in bookstores.

And the government needs to portray our heroes as perfect again to convince another generation of kids to enlist. Education Minister Alan Tudge went on Triple J’s Hack program and bemoaned the fact the curriculum isn’t 100% pro-digger. He basically wanted no negative material about the Australian military or Anzac Day to be taught in schools.

There are powerful vested interests who want this war crimes inquiry to fail.

EDIT:

Funny I should mention Heston Russell, as look who has just been exposed today as running a scam charity to fund a political career boosted by his mates on Sky News:

Last edited:
Unconfirmed reports out of Afghanistan tonight that the Chinese have reactivated Bagram for the Taliban.

Denied last week, but there was an Indian newspaper report last month saying that an agreement had been reached for them to do so (again denied).

We'll see what comes out in the next couple of days.

Unconfirmed reports out of Afghanistan tonight that the Chinese have reactivated Bagram for the Taliban.

Denied last week, but there was an Indian newspaper report last month saying that an agreement had been reached for them to do so (again denied).

We'll see what comes out in the next couple of days.

Contradicted:

The report was a Daily Mail article of some social media posts about the lights being turned on at Bagram, which then somehow was speculated into Chinese military aircraft arriving there.

Even if it was true it’s pretty obvious why.

China actually seems to deliver promptly on their infrastructure projects. The Western forces didn’t, their attempts to build infrastructure were mired in corruption, kickbacks to contractors, delays, lack of willpower to finish project, and no emphasis on infrastructure to help transition Afghanistan’s economy to the modern world.

Added to that the fact it’s hard to maintain infrastructure when it’ll be bombed from the air or blown up by western forces on the ground.

The Afghans would love to have modern highways, railways, telecommunications infrastructure linking them to the world’s biggest economy they share a border with don’t you reckon? Maybe sell all those mineral resources. It’ll be mining boom 2.0.

EDIT: There’s also suggestions it could be Chinese foreign aid being given to their neighbour.

Last edited:

A Channel Seven legal report that "summarises all of the known rumours and allegations" about war veteran Ben Roberts-Smith will remain private, after a court ruling today.
Key points:
  • Journalist Ross Coulthart compiled the report in 2017 and 2018
  • It will not be made public
  • Mr Roberts-Smith's defamation trial has been delayed due to COVID-19

Yeah.

It was the ADF that wanted to strip the Meritorious Unit Citation from the SOTG. It was Dutton who overruled that after an intensive campaign led by Murdoch media and Channel 7.

There’s an active pressure campaign to deflect, downplay and ultimately bury the Brereton Inquiry and any possible criminal trials. It’s being carried out by several media organisations and political figures and lobbyists who have a vested interest in keeping the truth hidden.

A lot of populist media love to portray our diggers as infallible heroes, the facts don’t exactly match this so they need to be kept quiet. The Daily Mail, Channel 7 and News Corp got caught out with this last week when they ran those articles implying all the accused soldiers were “exonerated” as their employment show cause notices were withdrawn, whereas the truth was this was mostly due to them resigning from the military, and they are all under active criminal investigation by the AFP.

A lot of ex-SF have made a lucrative career out of public speaking and promotions, video footage of their colleagues executing civilians destroys their image so they need attack the Brereton Inquiry to protect their business model. Heston Russell, an ex Commando who does promotional speaking, has even posted pics on his social media showing people doing an incredibly childish thing, hiding copies of Mark Willacy’s book “Rogue Forces” in bookstores.

And the government needs to portray our heroes as perfect again to convince another generation of kids to enlist. Education Minister Alan Tudge went on Triple J’s Hack program and bemoaned the fact the curriculum isn’t 100% pro-digger. He basically wanted no negative material about the Australian military or Anzac Day to be taught in schools.

There are powerful vested interests who want this war crimes inquiry to fail.

EDIT:

Funny I should mention Heston Russell, as look who has just been exposed today as running a scam charity to fund a political career boosted by his mates on Sky News:

Retired Special Forces Officer and former November Platoon Commander Heston Russell told Ben Fordham the ABC needs to do the right thing.

“This absolutely never happened.

“Our platoon, the only thing you can search about them on the internet is this story that defames us and calls us war criminals.

“There has been absolute negligence here and unethical conduct.”

Just another action against the ABC, with its 25-30 in house legal team.

Retired Special Forces Officer and former November Platoon Commander Heston Russell told Ben Fordham the ABC needs to do the right thing.

“This absolutely never happened.

“Our platoon, the only thing you can search about them on the internet is this story that defames us and calls us war criminals.

“There has been absolute negligence here and unethical conduct.”

Just another action against the ABC, with its 25-30 in house legal team.

That's in relation to a separate allegation, against 2 CDO (not SASR) isnt it?

There are no 'November Platoons' in SASR. Not only are there no Platoons (they have Squadrons and Troops instead) the Sabre Squadrons are numbered, and the Troops are lettered Alphabetically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back