Phantom Draft Hazardinho's 2021 Phantom Draft (Top 30) Selections

Hazardinho

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd thought I'd like to give this a try, my knowledge on the draft pool isn't great but thought may as well have some fun. I'm gonna base my selections for your club on list needs, best available talent, who are i prefer over other draft prospects at a specific draft range, from what I've read from experts, fans of your club so I can best try to gauge where these players may end up. I'm gonna assume Cerra goes to Carlton in exchange for Pick 6 and pick 25, so they will be occupied by Fremantle and I'm gonna assume Neale stays at Brisbane. I'm not gonna speculate on other trades like Free Agency as I'm not overly sure what's gonna happen on that front.

Round 1:

Pick 1: North Melbourne; Jason Horne-Francis
Pick 2: Collingwood; Nick Daicos (Bid Matched)
Pick 3: Western Bulldogs; Sam Darcy (Bid Matched)
Pick 4: GWS; Josh Gibcus
Pick 5: Gold Coast; Finn Callaghan
Pick 6: Adelaide; Ben Hobbs
Pick 7:Hawthorn; Neil Erasmus
Pick 8: Fremantle; Jye Amiss
Pick 9: Richmond; Mathew Roberts
Pick 10: Fremantle; Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
Pick 11: St Kilda; Josh Ward
Pick 12: West Coast Eagles; Arlo Draper
Pick 13: Essendon; Josh Rachele
Pick 14: Sydney; Josh Goater
Pick 15: GWS; Mac Andrew
Pick 16: Brisbane; Campbell Chesser
Pick 17: Richmond; Josh Sinn
Pick 18: Port Adelaide; Tyler Sonsie
Pick 19: Brisbane; Mathew Johnson

Second Round:

Pick 20: Gold Coast; Jack Avery
Pick 21: North Melbourne; Darcy Wilmot
Pick 22: Hawthorn; Connor Mcdonald
Pick 23: Gold Coast; Toby Conway
Pick 24: St Kilda; Marcus Windhager (Bid Matched)
Pick 25: Adelaide; Hugh Jackson
Pick 26: Hawthorn; Jack Williams
Pick 27: Fremantle; Jesse Motlop
Pick 28: St Kilda; Mitch Owens (Bid Matched)
Pick 29: Richmond; Sam Butler
Pick 30: GWS: Josh Fahey (Bid Matched)

Ok that's my first 30 draft selections, obviously don't expect it to go anything like this on the actual night but i hope you like the selections i have made for your club. Let me know if you agree/disagree with the selections, i may opt to make another Phantom Draft closer to draft night just to make it look more realistic.

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd thought I'd like to give this a try, my knowledge on the draft pool isn't great but thought may as well have some fun. I'm gonna base my selections for your club on list needs, best available talent, who are i prefer over other draft prospects at a specific draft range, from what I've read from experts, fans of your club so I can best try to gauge where these players may end up. I'm gonna assume Cerra goes to Carlton in exchange for Pick 6 and pick 25, so they will be occupied by Fremantle and I'm gonna assume Neale stays at Brisbane. I'm not gonna speculate on other trades like Free Agency as I'm not overly sure what's gonna happen on that front.

Round 1:

Second Round:

Ok that's my first 30 draft selections, obviously don't expect it to go anything like this on the actual night but i hope you like the selections i have made for your club. Let me know if you agree/disagree with the selections, i may opt to make another Phantom Draft closer to draft night just to make it look more realistic.
Jack Williams is a good player. But won't be taken by hawthorn. He is a carbon copy stylistically of Mitch Lewis who is 22 and just starting to come on.

I think hawks fan are keener on the classy mids available. I know connor macdonald is a good player but probably not a desperate need for us in the second round.

Good on u for having a crack.

Hazardinho

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Jack Williams is a good player. But won't be taken by hawthorn. He is a carbon copy stylistically of Mitch Lewis who is 22 and just starting to come on.

I think hawks fan are keener on the classy mids available. I know connor macdonald is a good player but probably not a desperate need for us in the second round.

Good on u for having a crack.
Yeah it gets tough to pick a player you haven't got any understanding on, like considering how they play and also when looking at players further out the first round. As everything is very speculative like, what's their upside, how they translate their form from youth level into the AFL. My draft phantom its more so basing it of who's seen these players play, which the scouts will never openly say they're bad players per se. I more so just put the profile of player Hawthorn might have a look at, instead of who i felt should go in the draft range.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

Round 1:

Second Round:

Erasmus and MacDonald are good picks, but IF we were to go tall we'd go Jacob Van Rooyen or Toby Conway over a slow KPF in Williams, or even Knevitt a strong tall inside mid with high footy IQ, but good job.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Well, I don't mind Fremantle's picks, including the reach for Wanganeen-Milera. Exciting, and definitely hitting our needs.

My only comment is that, given Motlop becomes matchable after pick 40, I would opt for JVR at pick 27. We could also consider Motlop with our next pick, but JVR I feel less confident about (I think he is undervalued generally).

Gratees

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Round 1:

Second Round:

Not upset with the haul for the tiges, i just thought Sinn and Roberts would be more reversed with their picks

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Round 1:

Second Round:

For Brisbane, I would prefer Sinn over Chesser if both are available at our first pick. Could start his career at halfback or wing, and if he shows he can play inside, he could transition to the midfield as Neale and Lyons move on/retire.

We definitely have a need for more developing KPP’s on our list. Jacob Van Rooyen or Rhett Bazzo both fill needs.

For Gold Coast, no issue with their first pick, but they to need KPP’s. They picked up a young ruck in the mid season draft. Definitely need a key defender and forward ruck.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Good job overall.

TBH, I'm not sure how GWS will jump with its selections - as you have them, Gibcus and Andrew would be perfectly reasonable options. I think we'd be around 50/50 to go Gibcus or Finn Callaghan with that first pick; and presume that a tall would be there at the second ... as you have it here.

I do think JVR is likely to go before 30, possibly Bazzo too (Gold Coast surely options for either, or both! if they keep their picks).

Swiggy

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Round 1:

Second Round:

Would take this for freo

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
I do think JVR is likely to go before 30, possibly Bazzo too (Gold Coast surely options for either, or both! if they keep their picks).

I reckon Collingwood would be extremely keen too.

Personally I hope they trade back into the draft in the very unlikely event they are still available so late.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't mind Brisbane's picks. As stated above, KPF is a need we might like to address now, but I can also see the hierarchy kicking the can along the road for another year or two. Mostly I'm just disappointed Josh Goater went two picks before us 😭

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
Second Round:

[/B]

Gosh, Windhager at 24 and Owens at 28.

Saints will be happy to match the bids but they are barely outside the top 20. That makes me nervous.

Back