Universal Love Welcome BACK to Hawthorn: Andy Collins - Head of development

A club legend, back at Hawthorn after spending 2021 with Sam Mitchell at Box Hill.

Mentor :heavycheck:
Developer of talent :heavycheck:
Premiership coach :heavycheck:

Hard not to love this appointment.

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seeing a lot of positive comments about this appointment... is that for sentimental reasons or is Collins genuinely a good get?

Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Seeing a lot of positive comments about this appointment... is that for sentimental reasons or is Collins genuinely a good get?
Collins whilst being a true Hawk offers a lot

many years of experience as a head coach at VFL level
Identifies talent and knows how to nurture it

great communicator

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos

He has a very good reputation as a development coach, and more importantly a great talent spotter. Bramble is one who came through as a result of Collins at Wililamstown.

In addition to the other points, he helped identify Bramble and Newcombe. Great mind to have at the club. Can’t wait to see him and McKenzie work together.

Sep 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Australia Any Sport
In the 1996 Merger game Alastair Clarkson played for Melbourne in the back Pocket. Andy Collins played for Hawthorn in the back pocket.
And Collins was also strongly on the side of the No Vote along with Chris Langford (whom I would also love to see back at the club).
Just wish Kennett, Dunstall, Crawford and Holland had a little more faith - although Bung has done some great things for the club since then.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Feel like Collins could be the Ying to Mitchell's Yang.

I believe strongly that a coaching panel needs balance (like a good midfield) and this is a fine example of this.

Like when we had Fagan to smooth of some of Clarkos rougher edges, every top dog needs a trusted ally to act as a cool head.

In the 1996 Merger game Alastair Clarkson played for Melbourne in the back Pocket. Andy Collins played for Hawthorn in the back pocket.
And Collins was also strongly on the side of the No Vote along with Chris Langford (whom I would also love to see back at the club).
Just wish Kennett, Dunstall, Crawford and Holland had a little more faith - although Bung has done some great things for the club since then.

In those player’s defence they were heavily influenced to tow the board’s line and it would have likely been the more independent thinkers and scholarly types who’d have spoken out against it.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I believe strongly that a coaching panel needs balance (like a good midfield) and this is a fine example of this.

Like when we had Fagan to smooth of some of Clarkos rougher edges, every top dog needs a trusted ally to act as a cool head.
100000000%

Toasted

All Australian
Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

And someone who is a bit older and wiser and, most importantly, isn’t afraid to tell them when their wrong.

I agree. This seems like an excellent selection.

Dave Id

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
Some Australian Mountain Range
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao FC
Words fail me ...... YES!
Tough as nails Hawthorn back pocket.
Reckon he will get along real well with Blake Hardwick.

In addition to the other points, he helped identify Bramble and Newcombe. Great mind to have at the club. Can’t wait to see him and McKenzie work together.

More than just those guys, Williamstown were successful and he helped get a lot of people drafted. In addition to bringing Bramble across, he also had an existing relationship with Fergus Greene who had trained with Williamstown as a 19 yr old. Lachie Schulz from Freo was another one drafted from that system, and likely a big part of why we were interested.

Really good appointment imo.

natio

Senior List
Sep 13, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I honestly didn'tnt know much about what Collins has done since his playing days. But from what I've heard this year, and just watching that small interview there, I am wrapped. Seems like a ripper bloke. Genuine and caring. And obviously successful if teaching/development. Great appointment.
(He had some nice words to say about Sammy too!)

Back