Best 22 in ‘22

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming Neale trade happens & Birchall retires.

Best 22 (Everyone available)
FB: Starcevich, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Rich, Adams, K. Coleman
C: McCluggage, Lyons, Prior
HF: McCarthy, Hipwood, Rayner
FF: Cameron, Daniher, McStay
FOLL: McInerney, Zorko, Bailey
INT: J. Berry, Cockatoo, Robertson, Ah Chee.

Best of the rest: Lester, Payne, Mathieson, Robinson

Hopefully we can add a Luke Parker or someone to replace Neale but if not we will probably have 4 first round picks. Gone more a bit more speed and better kicking thats why I went Prior over Robbo and Coleman over Lester.
I would like Dunstan.....a cheap version ($$$$$$$$$$$$ savings to spend on some other gun) and stronger body than Neale....he absolutely tore us apart with his vigour when the Saints played us............3 votes ....L Dunstan. Also wanting out of Saintland.

Wouldn't be averse to giving Harris Andrews a good run in the front half next year, at least while Eric is out. Dizz, Marcus Adams and Jack Payne can cover the key defensive posts.

Yeah I’d like to see it happen. Harris looked good up forward for that little bit against the dogs.

Payne played pretty well in the Harris role when he was out iirc.

Yeah I’d like to see it happen. Harris looked good up forward for that little bit against the dogs.

Payne played pretty well in the Harris role when he was out iirc.
I don't disagree, as I think Payne who hasn't played more than 5 or 6 consecutive games needs to fit in the side from the beginning of 2022, so we can hopefully see what he can offer long term. I think he will be like Coleman and gain confidence and his performances will improve upon feeling settled in the side. Watching the game at the GABBA, Payne got some separation from his opponent and was in the open a couple of times, but was not kicked to, but he also ran back towards the post a couple of times when he should have lead out to the fat side. I could see him with a preseason of training possibly playing in the forward line.
Agree Harris looked good going forward and played junior footy as a forward. If Harris goes forward at the beginning of the year that means McStay or more likely Joe is relieving ruck? That means Fullerton misses out, who I think has something to offer but needs a good season or two on the weights.

Round 1, 2022
HB: Rich, Adams, Answerth
C: McCluggage, Lyons, Robinson
HF: Rayner, McStay, Zorko
FF: Cameron, Daniher, McCarthy
FOLL: McInerney, J. Berry, Bailey
INT: 2nd Ruck (Fullerton/New), Robertson, Ah Chee, K.Coleman
EMG: Cockatoo, Lester, Payne, Matheson, Prior
Injured: Hipwood

Will Answerth get a full pre-season? I'm not really sure where he's at. His groin issues seem to have had his status as TBC for the entire year.
Hopefully. He was essentially put on ice this year so he could get it fixed. Hopefully with a full pre-season, he can get more game so Starce can transition into the midfield.

This is the whole video jackess was referring to, looks like apart from Eric Hipwood the whole list will be ready to go(with some minor modifications for Cam pre Christmas) come pre season training in November, great position to be in to launch our 2022 flag tilt.

Round 1, 2022
HB: Rich, Adams, Answerth
C: McCluggage, Lyons, Robinson
HF: Rayner, McStay, Zorko
FF: Cameron, Daniher, McCarthy
FOLL: McInerney, J. Berry, Bailey
INT: 2nd Ruck (Fullerton/New), Robertson, Ah Chee, K.Coleman
EMG: Cockatoo, Lester, Payne, Matheson, Prior
I rate this

B Starc Andrews Gardiner
HB Rich Adams Coleman

C Robinson Lyons Robertson
Foll McInerney McCluggage Neale

HF Bailey Daniher McCarthy
F Cameron McStay Hipwood/Cockatoo

Int Zorko Rayner Berry Ah Chee

Em (from) Prior Sharp Lester Answerth

I think we need to get more games into Sharp next year to increase our ability to spread.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
2022 best 23:

B: Gardiner Adams Answerth
HB: Rich Andrews Starcevich
C: McCluggage Lyons Robinson
HF: Rayner Daniher Bailey
F: Cameron McStay McCarthy
Fol: McInerney Zorko Neale
IC: Berry, Coleman, Payne, Cockatoo
MS: Ah Chee

Notable Depth: Lester, Robertson, Fullarton, Mathieson, Berry, Ellis-Yolmen, Prior, Sharp, Madden, Joyce

I reckon we need to pick up a recycled ruckman over the off-season. We got away with it this year but if McInerney goes down, we’ll be in all sorts of trouble. Also could see us picking up Tom Lynch in the rookie draft.

I'm guessing there might be a few new posts here today putting Lachie back into some best 22 lineups.

They all certainly look a lot stronger with him in there.

I'm guessing there might be a few new posts here today putting Lachie back into some best 22 lineups.

They all certainly look a lot stronger with him in there.
They absolutely look a lot stronger but I think we still need to do something to change up the midfield, ideally we can split Neale and Lyons up as much as possible and pair them with Berry, McCluggage, Bailey, Rayner and Zorko at different times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They absolutely look a lot stronger but I think we still need to do something to change up the midfield, ideally we can split Neale and Lyons up as much as possible and pair them with Berry, McCluggage, Bailey, Rayner and Zorko at different times.
Agree. The AFL.com piece today/ yesterday suggested that was our plan this year. Rayner and regular injuries to Neale meant we went away from that plan. It might be a stretch to expect Rayner to hit the ground running though. Certainly need Clugga and Bailey in there more regularly.

I wonder how much work Rayner has and can do on building his tank while finishing his recovery? Obviously most fitness work is fairly low intensity but rather repetitive. How does that work on the later stages of coming back from an ACL?

Defence

Darcy Gardiner- Marcus Adams- Jack Payne

Brandon Starcevich- Harris Andrews- Daniel Rich

Midfield

Hugh McCluggage- Jarryd Lyons- Jarrod Berry

Big O- Lachie Neale - Zac Bailey

Forward

Dayne Zorko- Dan Mcstay- Nakia Cockatoo

Charlie Cameron- Joe Daniher- Cam Rayner

Interchange

Cal Ah Chee, Linc McCarthy, Mitch Robinson, Keidian Coleman

Next in:

Gen Def- Answerth/Madden
Key Defender- Lester
Wing- Sharp/Prior
Mid- Robertson/Mathieson
Small Fwd- Tom Berry

To me, our depth across the wing and small fwd look the weakest. Hopefully, we can sure that up in the draft. The dream draft haul for me would be Josh Rachelle and Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera. I feel like we can't really go wrong with where our picks are considering the depth in the 1st round.

Defence

Darcy Gardiner- Marcus Adams- Jack Payne

Brandon Starcevich- Harris Andrews- Daniel Rich

Midfield

Hugh McCluggage- Jarryd Lyons- Jarrod Berry

Big O- Lachie Neale - Zac Bailey

Forward

Dayne Zorko- Dan Mcstay- Nakia Cockatoo

Charlie Cameron- Joe Daniher- Cam Rayner

Interchange

Cal Ah Chee, Linc McCarthy, Mitch Robinson, Keidian Coleman

Next in:

Gen Def- Answerth/Madden
Key Defender- Lester
Wing- Sharp/Prior
Mid- Robertson/Mathieson
Small Fwd- Tom Berry

To me, our depth across the wing and small fwd look the weakest. Hopefully, we can sure that up in the draft. The dream draft haul for me would be Josh Rachelle and Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera. I feel like we can't really go wrong with where our picks are considering the depth in the 1st round.
I like the team, I think the coaches are pretty set on a 3 tall forward set-up and will probably start the season with it so we don't have to change structure once Hipwood is back. I've also been starting to think that with Payne's athleticism and Adams ability to play a bit smaller we might be able to fit the 4 key defenders in. It might also help Gardiner protect his shoulder playing smaller and if I recall he used to his best work a couple years ago on smaller opponents. A dream season would hopefully involve Sharp replacing Robinson on the wing allowing Hugh and Bez to get some genuine on ball minutes.

B: Gardiner, Andrews, Madden
HB: Starcevich, Adams, Rich
C: McLuggage, Neale, Robinson
HF: Zorko, McStay, Rayner
F: Cameron, Daniher, McCarthy
R: McInerney, Lyons, Bailey
Int: Ah Chee, Coleman, Berry, Robertson

Missing a second ruck which is a concern. Would prefer to see Daniher spend 20-30% in the ruck, include Payne on the bench, and shuffle the pieces around (can’t carry Payne, Gardiner, Andrews, Adams in defence at any one time).

Robinson to eventually phase out of the side. The two other elder statesmen in Rich and Zorko remain far too important to us at present.

Hopefully Coleman, Prior, Berry, Ah Chee, Madden, Robertson step up. Probably only 4 spots available for those 6 at present. Answerth the great unknown. Sharp to get more game time? Gardiner and Berry need a full injury-free pre season. Both need some serious conditioning.

Can either Neale or Lyons play more time up forward?? I can’t see it but I’d prefer to get Bailey, McLuggage, Starc more time on the ball.

Reckon McCarthy is also seriously underrated by the football world. I’d love to see him play a bit closer to the ball next year as well. Reckon he can get close to the arbitrary tier just below elite.

B Starc Andrews Gardiner
HB Rich Adams Coleman

C McCluggage Lyons Robertson
Foll McInerney Neale J Berry

HF Bailey Daniher McCarthy
F Cameron McStay Hipwood/Cockatoo

Int Zorko Rayner Ah Chee Cockatoo/Hipwood

Em (from) Prior Sharp Madden Answerth

As well as some of the work-ons already mentioned, a key priority needs to be developing kick off HB. With Birch retiring and Rich 31, we need the next version of that to be ready. Keidean Coleman averaged 77% DE, but doesn't strike me as the 'take on a game opening kick through the corridor' type kick. Mind you, I don't think Birch was either, especially in the last year.

Would love to see how Payne goes as a forward. Didn't think he would translate but that little patch where he led to the ball and created a contest. Not sure if he marked it or not but he certainly looked like a forward there. Think it might be a good opportunity for Payne to potentially be the forward we have been looking for while Hippy is out. Certainly worth a try if he shows aptitude there.

Would love to see how Payne goes as a forward. Didn't think he would translate but that little patch where he led to the ball and created a contest. Not sure if he marked it or not but he certainly looked like a forward there. Think it might be a good opportunity for Payne to potentially be the forward we have been looking for while Hippy is out. Certainly worth a try if he shows aptitude there.

Has the body to compete in the ruck too.

I think we move Payne back and use Andrews up Fwd in the Hippwood role, Andrews showed his strong marking ability against the dogs.

I would also test Starc in the midfield, with Coleman and Answorth coming back to cover him and Birch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back