Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Rightly so.

I'm quite happy for the Taliban to be "cancelled".

Tough one. Ultimately the right decision but the test series was arranged before the most recent Taliban takeover. Going to really hurt Afghan cricket if they are excluded from competition going forward.

I am curious where the moral line in the sand is drawn for national sports teams. It's clearly a long way from a Taliban bad, everyone else good binary. Are we going to sanction China or Saudi Arabia? Wouldn't have thought so.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tough one. Ultimately the right decision but the test series was arranged before the most recent Taliban takeover. Going to really hurt Afghan cricket if they are excluded from competition going forward.

I am curious where the moral line in the sand is drawn for national sports teams. It's clearly a long way from a Taliban bad, everyone else good binary. Are we going to sanction China or Saudi Arabia? Wouldn't have thought so.
Would be a lot more gold medals up for grabs at the Oh lympics that's for sure. China is smashing it lately.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast

Afghanistan fails a simple test by not letting women play. Sport is equipped to respond to that failure.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Socceroos are playing Saudi Arabia soon in a WC qualifier. Are we equipped to respond?
To what?

My understanding is that Saudi Arabia are moving slowly towards a women's football team and more women's sport in general. I would have no problem pressuring them further but they do appear to be slowly reforming in that regard.

Last edited:

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
Socceroos are playing Saudi Arabia soon in a WC qualifier. Are we equipped to respond?
That's an interesting question. Where do you draw the line?

Disqualifying ourselves from the WC would be a big statement.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
That's not the issue.

I'm not saying we should only play sport against liberal democracies.

Nor am I.

That's an interesting question. Where do you draw the line?

Disqualifying ourselves from the WC would be a big statement.

This is the point I was getting at.

Afghanistan's cricket team are low hanging fruit in the 'making a stand' game.

The Saudis don't have a national women's soccer team and the govt sure as hell doesn't support women's participation. Is that sufficient reason to boycott playing them in soccer? China puts their own citizens in concentration camps and the global sporting community allows them to host Summer and Winter Olympic Games.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
Nor am I.

This is the point I was getting at.

Afghanistan's cricket team are low hanging fruit in the 'making a stand' game.

The Saudis don't have a national women's soccer team and the govt sure as hell doesn't support women's participation. Is that sufficient reason to boycott playing them in soccer? China puts their own citizens in concentration camps and the global sporting community allows them to host Summer and Winter Olympic Games.
You always take the low hanging fruit. The decision to cancel the test was absolutely the right thing to do.

As for Australia boycotting Chinese or Saudi Arabian sport, it won't move the dial. It would be shooting ourselves in the foot for nothing.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Should be removed from the non fiction section at least, yes.

The way I see it you have Dark Emu AND you have Farmers and Hunters and then allow kids to debate the merits of the evidence put forth. Pascoe to his credit has welcomed criticism of his work. This is how research pushes along knowledge and how we help develop critical thinking.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
The way I see it you have Dark Emu AND you have Farmers and Hunters and then allow kids to debate the merits of the evidence put forth. Pascoe to his credit has welcomed criticism of his work. This is how research pushes along knowledge and how we help develop critical thinking.

Can you have Mein Kampf? Or Dr Seuss?

Back