Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

Not this one.

5feab358ec90530a4c2434fa2365107ec1c4cb4f

If it comes down to coming up with a better offer AND Port beat us tomorrow the crows dont need to go anywhere near their pick 4 to get this deal done and have a more attractive offer than Port. They need to get in Sam Powers ear and get a trade done for our first rounder which we'll clearly be selling.

That and whatever random swaps/sweeteners on top are needed and it's done.

Cheers Sydney. Port will be happy to take him off your hands for a second rounder? Just like Aliir last year. Or have they learnt their lesson? Either way, port land him or make crows pay massive overs.

Will walk in and be in Adelaides top 5 players next seasons. Perfectly rounded footballer. Has best kicking at our club since malceski.

This thread... "oh yeeeaaaah, ummm i think he is worth a late second rounda". Bigfooty never change.
Friendly reminder you let Aliir Aliir walk for a 2nd rounder after supposedly offering him 200k a year. Sydney swans never change umm ohhh yeahhh hurrr

Report is he hasn't decided which club yet due to being in quarantine so hasn't had the chance to meet with either club in person.

Exactly the kind of player Adelaide needs, Nicks needs to find a way to sell his vision here because clearly Port are the more attractive club for immediate success while the Crows are at least one more season from making a push for finals. The ability to offer better money and security is hopefully a big selling point in our favour.

Also I don't know if I can take how unbearably smug Kane and port supporters in general will be if they beat us to another big signing.

Tell me the scenario, where port get him for a second rounder.
Have noticed a few of your supporters mentioning Marshall. Marshall and a future 2nd rounder. Personally i wouldnt do it but i wouldnt put anything past the swans after we pulled their pants down with Aliir and you will be desperate to offload Dawson off your books. That squeeze is awfully tight down their.

So basically you backtracked. The best argument you can come up with is that you would pay a decent player and second rounder.

I don't think there is a major cap squeeze at all. I think journalist are full of sh*t, they have no sources within our club and lie to fill papers.
This will only ensure that we re-sign our legion of talent. There is going to be a lot of cash available over the next few years.
I used an example in my original post of how Sydney traded a player for peanuts. Whats not to say they dont do it again?

No major cap squeeze but Dawson walks out on the club? Please break down your current list and salary cap and id struggle to see how you manage to do it legally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers Sydney. Port will be happy to take him off your hands for a second rounder? Just like Aliir last year. Or have they learnt their lesson? Either way, port land him or make crows pay massive overs.
Maybe he was leaning toward going to the crows but port have come over the top with a massive overs contract?…

Who knows..

he’s probably more of a need for port than adelaide.. adelaide are flush with running HB/wing types and still need to squeeze Milera back in..

ITK poster on our board who always has very good intel says its genuinely 50/50.. the lad hasnt decided and is in quarantine waiting to get out and meet in person with the clubs.. said his family are all mad crows supporters and want him to go to the crows.. not sure that has a say in his decision or not..

If Port offer him more money and there is obviously more chance of playing finals at port in the next year or two.. maybe he goes that way..

What either club can offer swans in a trade is irrelevant/insignificant when it comes to Dawson making his final decision.. but both the SA clubs have traditionally been fair to deal with when it comes to trading players in and out.

Last edited:
but trading up to acquire another first round pick in the teens. We could easily do that by giving up some sort of combo of Pick 23, Pick 37, the impending Jake Kelly compo pick, or even utilising our 2022 second rounder in combination with Pick 23.
If he chooses the crows I would hope port consider offering their first rounder for pick 23 and crows future 2nd. I would love to pick up a future pick to move back a bit in this draft.
Marshall would be one that Sydney would look at I imagine. A NSW boy and obviously talented. Port probably would not give him but it is worth asking.
Marshall is from Deniliquin. That’s almost smack bang in between Adelaide and Sydney. Georgiades and Marshall is our forward line for years to come. We would be stupid to trade out Marshall and have to hit the draft hard to find another partner for Georgiades before butters and rozees waste the best part of their career.
Exactly the kind of player Adelaide needs, Nicks needs to find a way to sell his vision here because clearly Port are the more attractive club for immediate success while the Crows are at least one more season from making a push for finals.
if you were to design a player based on exactly what the crows needed to add he would end up exactly like dawson.
Also do crows fans really think they’re one year away from playing finals? :0
Maybe he was leaning toward going to the crows but port have come over the top with a massive overs contract?…

Who knows..

he’s probably more of a need for port than adelaide.. adelaide are flush with running HB/wing types and still need to squeeze Milera back in..

ITK poster on our board who always has very good intel says its genuinely 50/50.. the lad hasnt decided and is in quarantine waiting to get out and meet in person with the clubs.. said his family are all mad crows supporters and want him to go to the crows.. not sure that has a say in his decision or not..

If Port offer him more money and there is obviously more chance of playing finals at port in the next year or two.. maybe he goes that way..

What either club can offer swans in a trade is irrelevant/insignificant when it comes to Dawson making his final decision.. but both the SA clubs have traditionally been fair to deal with when it comes to trading players in and out.
Why would port need to offer more money to dawson than the crows to get him to sign with us? What a weird take.

I see adelaides stocks as really needing an outside runner / great kick / intercepting player. Seedsman is older. Milera coming back from injury. Sholl is decent. It’s not a long list.

Houston, Amon , duursma , rozee , Bergman, Farrell, Bonner at port. Though dawson is quality and you take quality when you can get it.

What was the last A grade quality player the crows traded for?

What did they part with?
Its not really as simple as that though is it.. there are so many different variables, every single trade is different and comes at times when teams have different draft hands and different amounts of spare money in their cap.. also different coaches and management at the helm.. what the crows did in the past is really irrelevant. Theres been a huge amount of change in coaches and administration at the club in the last 2 years..

Crows havent really been able to attract any big names in the last few years due to a maxed out salary cap.. its actually resulted in them losing players.. guys like lever, cameron, mcgovern, keath, Greenwood.. all left for significantly more coin.. coin the crows simply could not match. Brad crouch went because, in a rebuild, the club simply wouldnt match the length of contract he wanted.

A hell of a lot of money tied up in guys like tex, lynch, talia, sloane, gibbs, betts, josh jenkins, the crouch’s..

Come the end of this year all moneys for lynch, talia, betts, gibbs, JJ will finally be freed up.. plus less paid to mcrouch… Dmac and Kelly moved on.. and little more than a team full of youngsters, who are already contracted anyway, to spend it on..

Different times.. different people.. different situations.. and thus different opportunities… all make it difficult to just say “what have the crows done in the past” as if to somehow assume that thats what they will do in the future..

For all we know the crows might be keen on Dawson but not that keen that they will fight hard, and give up a heap in a trade/salary war with port, to get him.. after all there’s a couple of other young SA players they currently have their eyes on and are saving for..
one of whom also plays a HB/wing type role too and who recently splashed big coin on a house just down the road from the clubs training grounds..

Assuming Sydney want salary cap relief footballer plus a 2nd rounder. They can also burn a list spot on Lewis Taylor on Sydney’s behalf too

Maybe McAsey plus a 2nd rounder with Adelaide keeping both McAsey on there cap for a year for Taylor and Dawson. McAsey can be a future KPP and Sydney can save the coin required to keep McLean and Hewett

Great get for whatever SA clubs lands him. Good footballer and big loss for the Swans.

If the Crows, great get for whatever clubs picks him up afterwards.
Strange second sentence but then again.. we crows BF supporters are used to that from you 747!…

Players we trade in we generally hold onto until they are clearly cooked and either retire or go play a final season somewhere else.. we got the best out of betts, jenkins, jacobs, lynch, thomo before retiring them or allowing them to go play twilight years elsewhere.. gibbs was a disaster.. but we let him go play for Souths in the sanfl this year!.

Back