Autopsy AFL 2021 First Preliminary Final - Demons v Cats Fri September 10th 7:50pm EST / 5:50pm WST (Optus)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 76 40.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
You’ve been caught out that many times it’s embarrassing. Use of the word “honest” is ironic.

Look at all the other “Sainters” on here defending Geelong and Chris Scott at 6:30am...

Lock down and nothing to do.

staffonly posting record:
- 26 posts with positive Geelong sentiment
- 23 posts with positive St.Kilda sentiment
- 26 posts with negative Melbourne sentiment

And this is the best bit.

3BA01B04-1BA6-4D1A-89C4-3DA2CE876AC0.jpeg

If you’re going to make troll accounts, try and get your post sentiment ratios in some sort of order.

Also, don’t immediately contradict yourself on the same day in the same thread.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
You’ve been caught out that many times it’s embarrassing. Use of the word “honest” is ironic.

Look at all the other “Sainters” on here defending Geelong and Chris Scott at 6:30am...

Not defending anyone just responding to the rubbish. What did he want Scott to say. Everyone with a brain knew Geelongs last twi months were a train wreck.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lock down and nothing to do.

staffonly posting record:
- 26 posts with positive Geelong sentiment
- 23 posts with positive St.Kilda sentiment
- 26 posts with negative Melbourne sentiment

And this is the best bit.

View attachment 1232320

If you’re going to make troll accounts, try and get your post sentiment ratios in some sort of order.

Also, don’t immediately contradict yourself on the same day in the same thread.

Yeah I remember that you posted I can’t barrack for StKilda as I’d only just opened a BF account.

jameses

All Australian
Jun 29, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are there any truth to the rumours of Scott leaving? Because if he is, he has just cut and run now he knows the list is precariously close to a cliff. No one will want to touch it and attempt to rebuild it. The Geelong senior coaching job would nearly be as unappealing as the Carlton one.

I get people don't like Scott but seriously don't see anything wrong with his presser last night. He looked like a man who had just watched the heart get rippped out of his club and his players. The emotion was raw and he was just trying to keep it together for fifteen minutes while being scrutinised after the game.

I think it would actually be good to know your coach cares that much about the club.

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Well done Dees, a great performance that had all the hallmarks of a team out for redemption and on a mission to write history.

The Cats looked cooked and simply came up against a better outfit on the night. Its easy to pull the sword out and start swinging after last nights performance, but they’ve been in the frame to add silverware for a number of years, so to keep pushing and give yourself a chance was the only option.

The cats will look to reset a little now and hopefully add a bit more youth. It’s very hard to add elite talent to an ageing core pushing, unless the team dips or trades out

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Are there any truth to the rumours of Scott leaving? Because if he is, he has just cut and run now he knows the list is precariously close to a cliff. No one will want to touch it and attempt to rebuild it. The Geelong senior coaching job would nearly be as unappealing as the Carlton one.

Thing that’s hysteria. There list is still loaded they have the best return home factor of any Vic club. I’m not writing them off. In fact get rid of donkeys like Dalhaus Rohan Henderson they’ll improve straight away.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I get people don't like Scott but seriously don't see anything wrong with his presser last night. He looked like a man who had just watched the heart get rippped out of his club and his players. The emotion was raw and he was just trying to keep it together for fifteen minutes while being scrutinised after the game.

I think it would actually be good to know your coach cares that much about the club.

I agree, he did about as good of a job as I thought he could.

I watched expecting him to be salty, or make excuses, but he seemed very controlled given.

Yes, he strongly hinted key players were banged up, but nobody would’ve been surprised by that anyway.

He was in a no win situation in the eyes of someone that was watching and wanting to be critical of him.

If he says nothing and doesn’t answer the questions, he’s sulking and a bad loser.

If he gives or even hints at what are probably genuine contributing factors for why his team lost, he’s making excuses.

I thought his opening statement was a smart move too as it gave him a chance to say something he’d at least had a little time to prepare rather than get caught off guard.

May 19, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong have had another very good year but an embarrassing loss tonight. Down at sleepy hollow there is a tendency to think the players are better than they are. The quality of the list drops off dramatically after the top 10 to 12 players and you have selectors who continue to pick mediocre role players even when they underperform. Tonight was hard to explain. Dangerfield and Smith played well and Selwood tried hard but we were pretty much beaten in every other position. Rohan and Ratugolea were non events and it meant that Hawkins and Cameron could be double teamed. Melbourne's midfield got so on top that in an act of desperation Atkins was thrown into the midfield and was like a fish out of water. More than once Selwood and Atkins chased forlornly after Petracca as he accelerated away from them. You could see early on that Geelong was in trouble. Dropped marks and missed tackle after missed tackle. It reminded me of the first final against Port Adelaide. And like that match it became contagious and continued four 4 quarters. Falling apart under finals pressure seems to be a problem. You wonder if they ever try to simulate that kind of pressure in training.
Good summary. The attributes Rohan offers are too good to just dispose of; gotta find a way to get more out of him mentally. Sav is actually progressing well I think, but still needs a lot of footy development. He learnt a few things this year that wil help him going forward. To be honest, I’m at a bit of a loss. Everyone says play the kids, and that clearly needs to happen - but plenty of opportunities have been afforded and only Holmes seemed to really want to grab his; then he was found wanting too last night. One thing I know for sure is that some poor selections occurred this year which have contributed to us being here, and they mostly revolve around players like Dahl and Higgins getting too many unjustified games. If it’s even line ball, give the younger players precedence - it ain’t about finals at this point in 2022, it’s about finding players who will deliver and we know many of the current selected just can’t. Use whatever soft cap you’ve got to invest in some sports psych. Expect to see a lot of Kreuger, Stephens, Holmes, DeKoning, Okunbor, Jarvis (pressure on Rohan spot), possibly Constable if a retirement occurs, hopefully Clarke and Narkle. Back them in and add some freshness. Give players like Dahl, Higgins, Rohan, Atkins some VFL time - switch it around and make the older players force their way in

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
The Geelong senior coaching job would nearly be as unappealing as the Carlton one.

Yeah, nah. Just nah.

If Scott left, so long as prospective coaches and the Board were on the same page about dropping down for a few years to rebuild vs. try and go again with this group, Geelong is far more appealing than Carlton.

Cartlon right now appear to have more player personnel to work with for the 2-5 year horizon, but out-of-control and unrealistic Board make it very unpalatable.

Good summary. The attributes Rohan offers are too good to just dispose of; gotta find a way to get more out of him mentally. Sav is actually progressing well I think, but still needs a lot of footy development. He learnt a few things this year that wil help him going forward. To be honest, I’m at a bit of a loss. Everyone says play the kids, and that clearly needs to happen - but plenty of opportunities have been afforded and only Holmes seemed to really want to grab his; then he was found wanting too last night. One thing I know for sure is that some poor selections occurred this year which have contributed to us being here, and they mostly revolve around players like Dahl and Higgins getting too many unjustified games. If it’s even line ball, give the younger players precedence - it ain’t about finals at this point in 2022, it’s about finding players who will deliver and we know many of the current selected just can’t. Use whatever soft cap you’ve got to invest in some sports psych. Expect to see a lot of Kreuger, Stephens, Holmes, DeKoning, Okunbor, Jarvis (pressure on Rohan spot), possibly Constable if a retirement occurs, hopefully Clarke and Narkle. Back them in and add some freshness. Give players like Dahl, Higgins, Rohan, Atkins some VFL time - switch it around and make the older players force their way in
I think it’s as much about that midfield reload factor.

The problem isn’t so much that the kids haven’t come on, it’s that there has been zero attempts to bring the kids on. So they get a game here or there but don’t develop, or develop to a point where if they were playing ones they’d go to the next level, but they’re stuck in the VFL because there hasn’t been that commitment to bring them on for various reasons.

What it means in practice is a hollowing out of the list in the 23-26 bracket because blokes either leave or get delisted because they are judged not good enough.

Honestly, it raises big questions about Geelong’s development program. Wells drafting the talent is one thing but they aren’t turning into AFL players, which is a huge problem. And it’s a question for the coach as much as the dev team.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda

The problem isn’t so much that the kids haven’t come on, it’s that there has been zero attempts to bring the kids on. So they get a game here or there but don’t develop, or develop to a point where if they were playing ones they’d go to the next level, but they’re stuck in the VFL because there hasn’t been that commitment to bring them on for various reasons.

What it means in practice is a hollowing out of the list in the 23-26 bracket because blokes either leave or get delisted because they are judged not good enough.

Honestly, it raises big questions about Geelong’s development program. Wells drafting the talent is one thing but they aren’t turning into AFL players, which is a huge problem. And it’s a question for the coach as much as the dev team.

Dont know that’s entirely fair or true.

Need a a ruck badly and a clean out the Catters.

Luke Jackson choice one, then i'd be asking the Giants about Flynn or Briggs

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond

was definitely ok presser and one of his best efforts,no problem wuth that presser

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Need a a ruck badly and a clean out the Catters.

Luke Jackson choice one, then i'd be asking the Giants about Flynn or Briggs

I think they first need to make a hard call about whether they try to go one more time with Hawkins, Selwood, Dangerfield etc. or bite the bullet and accept a few years of missing finals to rebuild.

As good as Jackson looks, if you’re having (another) last hurrah, you don’t go for him. He will be 20 next year and flashes in and out of games. Instead you’d go for a mature ruck.

If they are going rebuild, you’d go Jackson but I can’t see him leaving what will be either the premier or runners up for a stint of mid to lower table finishes - plus I cannot see how Geelong could get that deal done anyway.

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks Demons. You saved us from another boring Geelong grand final.

At least now it will be a good game. Hopefully Port get up as Bulldogs are limping to the line and would get destroyed.

Melbourne vs Port will be a decent Grand Final for a neutral perspective.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

May 19, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong

Good points. Scott has mentioned many times, and did again last night post-match, about using the VFL as development. Some of those players who may have been thrust in might have been to their detriment if they weren’t quite ready. A couple of years of development might prime them a little more for success. I think of players like those I’ve mentioned, if you can hold onto them, they should be better prepared to make an impact than if they were just thrown in too early. We really are guessing a bit here, but now that Geelong are likely to need to bring these players in next year more, then perhaps they will have stronger bodies, better physical preparedness and knowledge of the system to perform at the level more consistently. He made the point that a lot of those 2007 Premiership players like Chapman, Bartel and Ablett played a number of seasons predominantly in the VFL. We’ve also been up for a long time and that meant high draft picks, top 5 or even top 10, just haven’t been in our wheelhouse like they had been for some other clubs. Geelong have definitely gone about things differently and time will tell, but plenty of clubs didn’t make the prelim and haven’t made prelims for a while. No doubt though, there are big questions to be asked as they should be each year you don’t win a premiership

May 19, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong

Yep, that would have been one of the toughest gigs of the night and he performed extremely well given the circumstances. Your boys were brilliant where it counted, on the park! Congrats and best of luck

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Good points. Scott has mentioned many times, and did again last night post-match, about using the VFL as development. Some of those players who may have been thrust in might have been to their detriment if they weren’t quite ready. A couple of years of development might prime them a little more for success. I think of players like those I’ve mentioned, if you can hold onto them, they should be better prepared to make an impact than if they were just thrown in too early. We really are guessing a bit here, but now that Geelong are likely to need to bring these players in next year more, then perhaps they will have stronger bodies, better physical preparedness and knowledge of the system to perform at the level more consistently. He made the point that a lot of those 2007 Premiership players like Chapman, Bartel and Ablett played a number of seasons predominantly in the VFL. We’ve also been up for a long time and that meant high draft picks, top 5 or even top 10, just haven’t been in our wheelhouse like they had been for some other clubs. Geelong have definitely gone about things differently and time will tell, but plenty of clubs didn’t make the prelim and haven’t made prelims for a while. No doubt though, there are big questions to be asked as they should be each year you don’t win a premiership
You gave us three first rounders for a 28 year old. You’ll only have yourselves to blame.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
You gave us three first rounders for a 28 year old. You’ll only have yourselves to blame.

A big gamble and price to pay no doubt, but if Geelong had taken out the premiership this year or do it next year nobody would have cared.

Geelong are in an all or nothing window and I think gambling away the medium term future for a last couple of shots at a flag was the right move.

Back