Autopsy AFL 2021 First Preliminary Final - Demons v Cats Fri September 10th 7:50pm EST / 5:50pm WST (Optus)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 76 40.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
A very clinical demons performance. We were absolutely switched on from the outset. The midfield stood up and the defensive unit was almost impossible to penetrate. Loved the pressure We put on to. And Max Gawn. There was a lot talk about the battle with Stanley. Gawn wiped the floor with him.
Sure Geelong could go again. But they need a refresh and to play some young players.
I guess this also means Tom Stewart doesn’t blow his foot up trying to play in a grand final.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A very clinical demons performance. We were absolutely switched on from the outset. The midfield stood up and the defensive unit was almost impossible to penetrate. Loved the pressure We put on to. And Max Gawn. There was a lot talk about the battle with Stanley. Gawn wiped the floor with him.
Sure Geelong could go again. But they need a refresh and to play some young players.
I guess this also means Tom Stewart doesn’t blow his foot up trying to play in a grand final.

Best you've played this year?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Funny listening to Cats fans trying to map out their future… “we’ve got Charlie Constable etc” lol… they should take a look at some of the other young midfields and compare talent. Eg Bulldogs, Suns, Bombers, Giants, Power, etc
Their midfield will be getting belted for at least the next five years.

Last edited:

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Melbourne's speed and pressure proved to be irresistible against a Geelong outfit which fielded 12 players aged 30 or over, including a trio of 33-year-olds in Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins and medical substitute Shaun Higgins.

Scott labelled concerns about the ageing list as "superficial", saying the club needed to dig deep in analysing where it needed to improve.

"I think that's always going to be an observation ... that when you get beaten, you look old and when you win, it's because of your experience," he said.

"I don't think either are necessarily true."

Maybe a change of direction is needed!

Last edited:

MisterB

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2008
Melboune
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Favourite bits of last night's game:
  • Lever telling Rivers that "we need you going for the ball" or words to that effect after he had given away a totally unnecessary free kick to Miers and was having a whinge to the umpire about it. Great leadership
  • Oliver gently pointing out the scoreboard to Atkins after Atkins was trying to give him a gob full after a contest with the ball resulting in going out of bounds. Atkins wouldn't have got a kick out of an electric chair last night, and what's the point of "sledging" when you are more than 10 goals behind? Bit like giving a send off to a batsman that has just made a double century, and you dropped him on 10.

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
While not the most enjoyable game to watch, it was an amazing game to watch in how Melbourne just destroyed a fairly good side in Geelong.

Halfway through the first I said if it's not going to be close, I hope the dees smash em by 20 goals. Close enough!

Felt a bit privileged to see such a performance. It was as good as I've seen ever in a big game, and feel a bit for dees supporters who have waited for this for so long but are stuck in Vic.

Never thought I would be chanting GAWNY at Optus Stadium but here we are! That was one of the all-time games from him.

Hopefully they back it up in a fortnight, feel that like myself most other neutrals are on the dees bandwagon and won't jump off it for Port or Dogs.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
What would you like him to say? Yeah we were wrapt when Duncan went down for 8 weeks then lost Cameron and Touhy in the last month or so. Then when our most important player got injured a week out from finals we were super excited it gave Zac Guthrie a chance. Losing our run with player in O’Connor didn’t disrupt us either did losing a starting mid last week.
LOL I’m surprised you even watched us, that must have hurt. Very brave of you.

Anyway how good was Petracca? And Brayshaw? Lever and Neal-Bullen too.

2014 draft, what a cracker that was.
And you plucked McCartin, Hugh Goddard and some other packets of s**t.

LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
What would you like him to say? Yeah we were wrapt when Duncan went down for 8 weeks then lost Cameron and Touhy in the last month or so. Then when our most important player got injured a week out from finals we were super excited it gave Zac Guthrie a chance. Losing our run with player in O’Connor didn’t disrupt us either did losing a starting mid last week.
that would be a bizarro thing to say, by some miracle once again Geelong had all their important players bar Stewart available, and especially all their older experienced leaders all on the field, AND Melbourne lost one of their most important players to injury in the first five minutes.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Favourite bits of last night's game:
  • Lever telling Rivers that "we need you going for the ball" or words to that effect after he had given away a totally unnecessary free kick to Miers and was having a whinge to the umpire about it. Great leadership
  • Oliver gently pointing out the scoreboard to Atkins after Atkins was trying to give him a gob full after a contest with the ball resulting in going out of bounds. Atkins wouldn't have got a kick out of an electric chair last night, and what's the point of "sledging" when you are more than 10 goals behind? Bit like giving a send off to a batsman that has just made a double century, and you dropped him on 10.
Lever is next captain material. Loses his voice every game.
I also liked the play where Selwood was trying to get to Oliver. So Trac told Oliver to go to Menagola. Confused the Geelong mids and Trac got the clearance leading to a Brown goal.

SupercededMan

Team Captain
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I dont think anyone can absorb their pressure and ive still got skin in the game, i want my mob there but we better turn up.
We've got to get over your lot first, but the Dogs beat the Dees last we played them. But since then we've lost our FF and FB. I don't see how we can be favourites for either tonight's game or next week.

Hope we beat you, but if not, I've got a soft spot for Port. That means I'll have conflicted feelings 'cause I'd love to see the Dees break their drought, too (know what it feels like!).

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
LOL I’m surprised you even watched us, that must have hurt. Very brave of you.

Anyway how good was Petracca? And Brayshaw? Lever and Neal-Bullen too.

2014 draft, what a cracker that was.
And you plucked McCartin, Hugh Goddard and some other packets of sh*t.

LOL
What’s the term they use is it Injury troll??

Like like the Demons were dominating drafts Scully Trengove Tapscott Toumpas.

SupercededMan

Team Captain
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well done for fronting up all night mate - that would have been hard. Not only to lose, but the manner of the loss and probably the realisation that the approach is probably going to have to change.

P.S. Also thought Isaac Smith did ok. 33 year old outside player who ran hard and got 23 and 1.
Poor old Isaac (well, not really,given he had success at Hawthorn):

In 2016 he had a deadset easy shot for goal after the siren to win the game against Geelong, and put them into a Prelim (?). Instead, he fluffed it, putting them into a match against the Bulldogs, but they were still favourites to beat the Dogs and be a chance for the fourpeat.

The Dogs ended their run at four consecutive flags, and broke a 62 year drought.

Fast forward a couple of years. He's traded to the same team that beat the Hawks in 2016. Hmm, perhaps a flag or two at the Cattery? We know how that turned out.

A personal sidenote: In 2016 I had a Hawk-supporting colleague at work who would absolutely give it to me at any opportunity about the Doggies' poor history, and how great his beloved Hawks were.

I had great pleasure in nicknaming him "Isaac" from that point onward :) (EDIT: I'd alternately call him "Straight Sets").

Last edited:

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
I want an AFL calendar with Gary Rohan pictured in the month of september

Back