Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

yeh but as someone said above, not if you redrafted tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that's the point.

Even if you redrafted tomorrow, he's not going more than 10 spots higher.

I mean, we took another mid before him ffs.

yeh but as someone said above, not if you redrafted tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that's the point.

spot on. On sen last Friday they were talking about how SA players were of high value because of there ability to play last year but they said last year Powell didn’t play under 19’s or something like that? And that would have impacted recruiters decisions. They went onto say had COVID not affected the games and he played in the U/19s or he would have gone at 8 or lower.

Even if you redrafted tomorrow, he's not going more than 10 spots higher.

I mean, we took another mid before him ffs.

If you were sitting at the draft table with the next pick and were deciding between Powell and Phillips with all that we have seen this season, which way would you go?

I suspect if there was a redraft, Powell would be at least in the top 8.

If you were sitting at the draft table with the next pick and were deciding between Powell and Phillips with all that we have seen this season, which way would you go?

I suspect if there was a redraft, Powell would be at least in the top 8.

Philips still.

The big surprise was Adelaide taking Pedlar at 11.

Early days, but Bruhn & Powell would have been rated above him on basically all talent orders IMO (bar Adelaide's LOL).

which is odd as there were rumours, boarding conspiracy, that Adelaide were aware of Powell and we almost trying to hide him from national recruiters in the lower levels of the SANFL.

No you don't.

A top ten pick is the most valuable recruitment tool there is.

There's no steals in the top 10.
Joel Selwood would be declared a steal when he went at pick 7. Especially after most recruiters (obviously not Geelong) were scared off due to the knee fears

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They both look great. Powell more advanced initially, sure, but Phillips will be on the same level very soon.

They both just add something to our overall midfield mix. Don’t get the comparison need.

What both have in spades though is time and vision in the contest. Outside of Cunners that’s been a rarity at the Roos for years.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Powell clearly for mine based off exposed form. He looks complete whereas Philips hasn’t shown an outside game and looks tentative. But year 1 so much to play out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Given Powell has smarts in spades i guess he didn't have to rely on developing as much,his best work was in traffic nad with his spacial awareness didnt have to rely on strength as much. Phillips looks like more of a LDU case where he may need to develop a bit to show his junior form against better bodies. regardless it great to have both,

Strange debate over semantics. Steal v lucky break v good value. The point trying to be made is that he was pick 13 and on exposed form looks is currently in the best half dozen players in his draft.

Call it what you like, but Powell was a great pickup and very few people would give him back in return for a draft pick later than 6.

Yeah with pick 13.

So if he ends up better than WillPhill (pick 3), LDU (pick 4), TT (pick 8) and Jy (pick 12) then he's a bloody steal..
That is a big if tho. Some good players there.

If he ends up better than Campbell, Hollands, Perkins, Pedlar (especially) and Bruhn or even some of them I'd consider that a bit of a steal too.

McKay turned out alright - more than 6 years though.
He was pick 21. Tho technically still a first rounder. He has turned out good tho. Before those two it was Bread, Garns and Ats. Some might say that turned out poorly. That is back to 2010 i think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back