FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

spoke to mike earlier this year. he reiterated that gary lyon wont go on the program. carey was supposed to go on, all agreed to. Then showtime came and went. No carey. no contact. Later MS bumped into carey and asked wtf happened.....carey got cold feet.

spoke to mike earlier this year. he reiterated that gary lyon wont go on the program. carey was supposed to go on, all agreed to. Then showtime came and went. No carey. no contact. Later MS bumped into carey and asked wtf happened.....carey got cold feet.
I assume Carey doesn't wanna rehash all the dirt he spoke about on Denton all those years ago.

Ian Stewart ( replayed recently ) was fascinating.
That story about him and Tony Jewell watering Moorabin oval on Friday night before the game beers in hand and the disco raging in the background is absolute gold....and during his very short tenure as Carlton coach him trying to tell Jezza to do more defensive stuff and Jezza just giving him that ominous Eastern European stare.

Stewart seemed like an incredibly humble, honest guy. Shame that a lot of people just remember one moment of his life, apparently when he was in the midst of a breakdown.

Dane Swan was #5 last night for anybody still watching

My memories of watching that one were "what a colossal waste of time". Crap questions and crap responses. Lots of interactions like:

MS: You and Dusty have been to Vegas together, obviously good mates?

DS: Nah, we've gone there three or four times, we hate each other.

I mean, not the greatest question ever by Sheahan, but just classic Dane Swan. You've made the effort to go on the show, how about you give your supporters something? The teacher and the class rebel in the back row.

I've truly never got the appeal of Swan as an interview subject, panellist or social media commentator. He just seems like a complete knob.

My memories of watching that one were "what a colossal waste of time". Crap questions and crap responses. Lots of interactions like:

I mean, not the greatest question ever by Sheahan, but just classic Dane Swan. You've made the effort to go on the show, how about you give your supporters something? The teacher and the class rebel in the back row.

I've truly never got the appeal of Swan as an interview subject, panellist or social media commentator. He just seems like a complete knob.
Was pretty ordinary on The Footy Show too. Would sit there and give bugger all like he was too cool for it, while they tried to pump him up as a 'different cat', a 'character', etc and manufacture this personality that wasn't there.

There is something strangely compelling about this interview. I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time it was on and still do. I think part of it is just how completely opposite he is to today's media-managed robots. He was also disarmingly honest about things - the line about Peter Knights as a coach sounds harsh but from many reports it wasn't too far from the truth - really nice bloke who wasn't suited to coaching.
MS - so what was your relationship with Leanne ?
WC - just good friends , he is with Brie now anyway
MS - Brynn ............brie is a type of cheese
WC - same thing really
MS - well not really
🤦‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was pretty ordinary on The Footy Show too. Would sit there and give bugger all like he was too cool for it, while they tried to pump him up as a 'different cat', a 'character', etc and manufacture this personality that wasn't there.

You can guarantee Dane Swan will still be hanging around the fringes of the AFL media for the next 10-15 years being increasingly cringeworthy - much like a Sam Newman but even less articulate/interesting. Classic example of someone who would have ended up in prison had he not been a decent footballer. Shocking person.

My favourite Open Mike's from memory (usually the older players - who have picked up a bit more wisdom in their older years)

Chris Lewis (WCE) - was surprised at this one as I never liked him as a player at all, but seemed very humble and genuine
Rene Kink (Coll/Ess) - love his honesty and for calling out Sheedy as a ''weak man'' - which indeed he is
David Rhys-Jones - again, surprising given that he was a fairly unlikeable player - his rivalry with Williams was interesting
Greg Williams - not particularly verbose, but interesting just from how clearly driven he was as a player
Warwick Capper - Obviously Capper puts on a persona, but again was interesting to hear his story
Phil Carman - another 'wild man' of his era who seems very interesting/humble/insightful now in his older years

Worst:
Mark Jackson - like a broken clock, occasionally right about some things but completely unhinged/ordinary person in my view
Don Scott - Complete weirdo/contrarian - e.g. ''I never spoke more than two sentences to Kennedy/Matthews and havent spoken to them since I retired" - then in same sentence ''the bond with your premiership team mates is closer than family''. Sure, Don.

You can guarantee Dane Swan will still be hanging around the fringes of the AFL media for the next 10-15 years being increasingly cringeworthy - much like a Sam Newman but even less articulate/interesting. Classic example of someone who would have ended up in prison had he not been a decent footballer. Shocking person.

My favourite Open Mike's from memory (usually the older players - who have picked up a bit more wisdom in their older years)

Chris Lewis (WCE) - was surprised at this one as I never liked him as a player at all, but seemed very humble and genuine
Rene Kink (Coll/Ess) - love his honesty and for calling out Sheedy as a ''weak man'' - which indeed he is
David Rhys-Jones - again, surprising given that he was a fairly unlikeable player - his rivalry with Williams was interesting
Greg Williams - not particularly verbose, but interesting just from how clearly driven he was as a player
Warwick Capper - Obviously Capper puts on a persona, but again was interesting to hear his story
Phil Carman - another 'wild man' of his era who seems very interesting/humble/insightful now in his older years

Worst:
Mark Jackson - like a broken clock, occasionally right about some things but completely unhinged/ordinary person in my view
Don Scott - Complete weirdo/contrarian - e.g. ''I never spoke more than two sentences to Kennedy/Matthews and havent spoken to them since I retired" - then in same sentence ''the bond with your premiership team mates is closer than family''. Sure, Don.

The open Mike’s I remember are :

Robert Walls - not a huge fan, but a very good story teller.

Mark Eustace - horrific the spiral he went into. Incredible respect for what Diesel Williams + wife did to help him at rock bottom.

Peter Schwab - So sad when he talked about his daughter.

I watched so many of these when I was getting into footy. I loved the Parko one - I remember him talking about how he'd stay up to all hours in the morning writing individual reports for each player in the days when technology wasn't so advanced.

Who nowadays has the credentials to pull this show off? Only Whateley springs to mind unless you brought someone in from news/entertainment who is skilled at interviewing.

Worst:
Re Capper - he does not put on a persona - that is him.

He was in hiding after banging a bikies mrs.

But now back in Adelaide, coaching down south somewhere.

Not sure if he had to pay bikie out or what happened.
Morphettville Park Roos

so south of the city as opposed to " down " south

Worst:

I remember the Lewis and Rhys-Jones ones were very good.

The Greg Williams one to me was by far the best. No pretension and no bullshit.

At its peak, it was brilliant and there were some cracking interviews.

As time progressed, Mike became more concerned with the subject's pay packets, plus they were dipping lower into the pool of available and willing guests, and the quality diminished.

The issue nowadays would be too many of the current crop that have been sanitised through years of media training and being silenced when trying to be an individual character (and not the manufactured Dane Swan character, sitting there smirking with some form of detached "too cool for this" approach).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back