News Jake Kelly departs to Essendon as a free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Context is the key.

Jake was talking up the club, club ambassador Cornsey in that light then asked based on that and all that’s been said about the camp can you shed some light on it.

Kelly used that to dispel a lot of the stories in the media and most part was a good camp.

Cornsey got what he wanted as that’s what he and the club had said all along but we know that’s bullshit given the fall out.
No, we don’t know given the fallout.

Why doesn’t anyone listen to the guys who had no problem with the camp?

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

Not going to rehash the whole thing but clearly there were some that didn't have a problem with it and others that did. You choose to believe there was no fallout if you like.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
The proof will of course be in the pudding but it feels like the club is (finally) starting to get more of the decisions right.

Talia, Mackay, Lynch, Crouch (2 yr deal on reduced terms) and now Kelly are all IMHO exactly the right calls to be made at this stage of our list build.

Confidence slowly building...

we wanted mackay to play on. He saved us from ourselves. Otherwise, I agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nick's moving out the deadwood one by one. Very similar feeling to when Blight came in. Create opportunities for young players and back them in.

Think we had an offer to Kelly though. And Mackay. It’s only Lynch and Talia. And who knows whether we’d have kept them but preliminary discussions had us in different ballparks so we just moved on.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good luck to the guy but can't hide my happiness at getting rid of him. Same with Mackay.

Think he developed quite well aerially, but with ball in hand I would never trust him under pressure. Also looks strong but isn't.

I’m not fussed he’s going, defenders are easy to replace. Defenders with attacking flair through hard running or quality disposal is harder. But I really don’t think there was anything wrong with his disposal on field play. In fact, he was very reliable in that area. His only issue was calling for the sideways kick and then holding up our advance before kicking sideways again or long to a contest.

If he never took a mark and all his possessions were in open play, I doubt I’d have a single criticism of him as a player.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Accidentally caught a few minutes of Cornes and KG this morning.

"Yet another player leaving the Crows, they have a serious problem, they can't hold their players, what is going on down there?"

Jake was then interviewed by them. He said the club is now in really good hands, on the right track, and he's returning to Melbourne for family and security.

"So can you answer some questions about the camp?"

Wouldn’t surprise if they did that, zero self awareness those 2. They’d decry a Vic journo bringing up the camp, “ggggggee Studley, it wwwwwas years ago, Pppppppyke, Bbbbbbburton, Ffffffffagan, they’ve all moved on. Bbbbbbbut these bloody Vvvvvic journos just keep bringing it up. It’s oooooover.” “Sssso Jjjjakey boy, you’re leaving, ttttel us about that ccccamp”

they did that over the prison bars. Complaining that it keeps coming up, why do port supporters bother, it’s a guernsey it’s no big deal, they wear it at their home showdown. Just move on. Now, would they just move on if AFL granted wearing at both showdowns? If their responses to people asking for that is anything to go buy, they’d be threatening to set themselves on fire outside of AFL House.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Or all the workers at workplaces that haven’t been bullied or sexually harassed. What about all the people that serial killers didn’t murder. Why won’t anybody listen to them? That is the most moronic argument that can be put forward. And it’s not like it didn’t happen anyway. Don’t you remember Sloane saying it made him a better father, son, brother, husband, teammate etc etc. So the other side of the coin got plenty of airtime. In fact, all the sanctioned air time.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Or all the workers at workplaces that haven’t been bullied or sexually harassed. What about all the people that serial killers didn’t murder. Why won’t anybody listen to them? That is the most moronic argument that can be put forward. And it’s not like it didn’t happen anyway. Don’t you remember Sloane saying it made him a better father, son, brother, husband, teammate etc etc. So the other side of the coin got plenty of airtime. In fact, all the sanctioned air time.

Listen to the retirement interviews of Talia, Lynch and Mackay with Rucci/Dillon on SEN and I’m pretty sure all 3 admit that the camp was a massive failure or words to that effect. Generally done with the right intentions, but very poorly executed. This despite Dillon trying to preach that it was a case of “nothing to see here”, none agreed with him. Sadly, there was “plenty to see there”…

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m not fussed he’s going, defenders are easy to replace. Defenders with attacking flair through hard running or quality disposal is harder. But I really don’t think there was anything wrong with his disposal on field play. In fact, he was very reliable in that area. His only issue was calling for the sideways kick and then holding up our advance before kicking sideways again or long to a contest.

If he never took a mark and all his possessions were in open play, I doubt I’d have a single criticism of him as a player.
He was sound under no pressure with safe kicks. Prone to the odd blunder.

The issue I always had with him is that under pressure he begins to make poor decisions and his skills deteriorate. You can easily tell between the players that handle pressure and those that don't. Kelly is the latter.

A solid player, but in finals you need to handle pressure (just look at last night).

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Living in Adelaide I’ve seen plenty of him and although no world beater he will play a role for us for no damage to our draft collateral. 3 year deal offers him security and we have a boot load of cap space so I see it as a win for all parties. Hope you guys get some half decent compo for him

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Living in Adelaide I’ve seen plenty of him and although no world beater he will play a role for us for no damage to our draft collateral. 3 year deal offers him security and we have a boot load of cap space so I see it as a win for all parties. Hope you guys get some half decent compo for him

Agreed, I really think this is a win win. We needed to clear out some space to play some more kids and hopefully bring in Dawson, he’ll fill a gap for you guys to try and push further into finals next year. If we get a decent compo pick that’ll be icing on the cake.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh ******* please. Jesus.

Back