Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't trying to take a potshot at Richmond, honestly with first rounders like Rance, Riewoldt, Cochin and Martin (the latter two very early first round picks) they've done the build through the draft thing about as well as you can these days. Just a comment that it's not really set up for teams to solely build through the draft and you're probably going to end up with at least a handful of imports in your best side.
This is not intended to debate nor detract from the conversation - just a semi-interesting observation - but there were actually a number of games this season where Richmond did not have a single player named who'd been traded in from another AFL club (admittedly Lynch was there as a FA). I can't recall that ever previously occurring to any team in living memory? Ron The Bear might shed some light?

This is not intended to debate nor detract from the conversation - just a semi-interesting observation - but there were actually a number of games this season where Richmond did not have a single player named who'd been traded in from another AFL club (admittedly Lynch was there as a FA). I can't recall that ever previously occurring to any team in living memory? Ron The Bear might shed some light?

I don't have a record of whether players were traded or not, but Fremantle & Geelong in R23 2015 were the last teams not to contain a single player who had played seniors for another AFL club.

Last time for each club:

Adel never
Bris 2011 R11
Carl 1988 R8
Coll 2013 R18
Ess 2012 R23
Frem 2015 R23
Geel 2015 R23
G.C. never
GWS never
Haw 1993 R3
Melb 1972 R22
N.M. 2013 R9
P.A. 2011 R20
Rich 1990 R20
St.K 1982 R6
Syd 1975 R6
W.C. 2012 R17
W.B. 2012 R1
Fitz 1987 R20
Univ 1913 R1

Last edited:
The main issue for me is the players that are supposed to be in the prime age group for Geelong. In a different thread (i think) it stated that Geelong only had 2 players aged in the 25-27 yr old age bracket when players are at their prime and ready to dominate. These were Narkle and O'Connor of which one is likely to be gone. This an absolute indictment on the list management team and doesn't look good for the club in the next few years.

Great post.
Sure, its not fun to bottom out as a club - and as a member, not fun to see you win so few games in a season. But at least you can pick young players at the draft and hope to watch them improve over a decade. To see Rayner and Bailey at the lions, the young stars at port, Naughton and Bailey smith at the Bulldogs, how a melb supporter would have loved to see Petracca, Oliver and Viney last night, Will Day for us, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance and Cotchin for the Tigers.

Or you can barrack for Tuohy, Shaun Higgins, Isaac Smith, Jack Stevens, Josh Jenkins at the Cats.

You forgot the joy and ecstasy we get from watching Gary Rohan in September.

I've been repeatedly told by Geelong fans it's what he does when he doesn't have the ball that is so important. I guess Friday night was a stellar performance then.

“It was a virus that went through the playing group ”

I'd probably give this slightly more credibility if we hadn't been treated to a mini version of the Melbourne smashing two weeks ago by Port. Or if uncompetitive losses in the first and third week of finals hadn't been a trademark of this club over the past five years.

I don't have a record of whether players were traded or not, but Fremantle & Geelong in R23 2015 were the last teams not to contain a single player who had played seniors for another AFL club.

Last time for each club:

Adel never
Bris 2011 R11
Carl 1988 R8
Coll 2013 R18
Ess 2012 R23
Frem 2015 R23
Geel 2015 R23
G.C. never
GWS never
Haw 1993 R3
Melb 1972 R22
N.M. 2013 R9
P.A. 2011 R20
Rich 1990 R20
St.K 1982 R6
Syd 1975 R6
W.C. 2012 R17
W.B. 2012 R1
Fitz 1987 R20
Univ 1913 R1
Brilliant Ron. It's a far more common occurrence than I thought. Cheers mate.

Reckon Geelong and Hawthorn will be seriously considering going “full Melbourne” right about now …
How the worm has turned …
Hardly. Full Melbourne equates to not winning a thing, openly tanking and one of the worst teams for the last 50 years. They've had that many top 10 picks they've wasted and only now are actually benefiting from good picks. Historically Not really a club to aspire to but lets hope that'll change in a fortnight.

Selwood playing for free kicks is hilarious, take that from his game and he is an ordinary mid. Vics wont call out the ducking though, cause selwood
Vic bias, FFS are you serious. Everyone bar Geelong flogs hate duckwood with a passion.

Great post.
Sure, its not fun to bottom out as a club - and as a member, not fun to see you win so few games in a season. But at least you can pick young players at the draft and hope to watch them improve over a decade. To see Rayner and Bailey at the lions, the young stars at port, Naughton and Bailey smith at the Bulldogs, how a melb supporter would have loved to see Petracca, Oliver and Viney last night, Will Day for us, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance and Cotchin for the Tigers.

Or you can barrack for Tuohy, Shaun Higgins, Isaac Smith, Jack Stevens, Josh Jenkins at the Cats.
Dustin?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do Geelong do with this?

All the folks saying Geelong must rebuild, what does that look like? Fine, they can move on some of those guys who are out contract at the end of 2021 but beyond that you're talking about a fire sale of players who are still contracted. That's probably not going to happen.

As a result, I think Geelong will do the basics - some older guys will finish up, they'll do some trades if guys want to leave and they'll go to the draft with whatever they've got. But fundamentally, they'll be obliged to front up again in 2022 having retained most of the mature talent that's currently on the list. And they'll probably play finals again.

It's a bit similar to WC, although Geelong have of course been better performed in the past few years. But it's similar in that they can't simply swing the pendulum to a massive rebuild. They'll emphasise youth incrementally but you can't just burn it all down while you've still got all that mature talent, most of whom are still contracted.

1631602750672.png

Geelong isn't far off it, but time and time again, they get shown up in finals, but as the group matures and develops more experience, they could go all the way. But a few more 30+ veterans wouldn't hurt them either to give them that composure and steely resolve they seem to be lacking come the pointy end of the season.

All the folks saying Geelong must rebuild, what does that look like? Fine, they can move on some of those guys who are out contract at the end of 2021 but beyond that you're talking about a fire sale of players who are still contracted. That's probably not going to happen.

As a result, I think Geelong will do the basics - some older guys will finish up, they'll do some trades if guys want to leave and they'll go to the draft with whatever they've got. But fundamentally, they'll be obliged to front up again in 2022 having retained most of the mature talent that's currently on the list. And they'll probably play finals again.

It's a bit similar to WC, although Geelong have of course been better performed in the past few years. But it's similar in that they can't simply swing the pendulum to a massive rebuild. They'll emphasise youth incrementally but you can't just burn it all down while you've still got all that mature talent, most of whom are still contracted.

View attachment 1235689
Dangerfield 3 more full seasons. Wow.

That's worse than the Buddy contract.

He will be absolutely cooked for 2023 & 24.

Will be hobbling.

Last edited:
You forgot the joy and ecstasy we get from watching Gary Rohan in September.

I've been repeatedly told by Geelong fans it's what he does when he doesn't have the ball that is so important. I guess Friday night was a stellar performance then.
To be fair to Gary, he is according to no other luminaries than Brian (wowee) Taylor a big game player and a prelim is not a big game

View attachment 1235689
Short answer is they need to hit the draft now.

If they go for another mature recruit it will just be embarrassing.

Dangerfield 3 more full seasons. Wow.

That's worse than the Buddy contract.

He will be absolutely cooked for 2023 & 23.
You could make a case for Hawkins playing 2-3 more as well.

He comes out of contract at the end of 2022 - hard to imagine he retires given his form.

Short answer is they need to hit the draft now.
Right, but that's just called drafting. That's not a rebuild. And they won't have any picks until the 30s. Are they going to somehow add a first-rounder by trading? Good luck.

Rebuilding is when you tip out older guys and accumulate more draft picks, particularly first-rounders. It is a conscious strategy to prioritise youth, even if it means losing experience and sacrificing short-term results.

Is Geelong doing that? I can't see how. They're at least another year away from doing that seriously. They'll front up again next year expecting to play finals, probably eyeing the top 4. The list will be too experienced for them to set expectations lower than that. Imagine telling Patrick Dangerfield, who's 31-32 and still wants to win a flag, "nah we're not interested in contending anymore - time to rebuild".

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back