AFL Club
Richmond
20210911_170018.jpg

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
The Farne were pretty lucky Huonville kicked poorly and put the cue in the rack in the last, they were very poor. Wouldda gone down by 100 otherwise, got a few junk time freebies to make it look better than 11 goals.
Speaking of very poor - game shockingly over umpired again. Smith and Razor Ray O'Donaghue doing their best to make themselves overshadow the players and take centre stage again.

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
The Farne were pretty lucky Huonville kicked poorly and put the cue in the rack in the last, they were very poor. Wouldda gone down by 100 otherwise, got a few junk time freebies to make it look better than 11 goals.
Speaking of very poor - game shockingly over umpired again. Smith and Razor Ray O'Donaghue doing their best to make themselves overshadow the players and take centre stage again.
I was going for Huonville and stopped watching due to the umpires. Over reaction to OS granny maybe

mr incredibe

Senior List
Oct 13, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood

Spot on assessment

Totally neutral spectator today and the umpiring was horrendous.
The egos were out of control, something needs to change as what I witnessed today was laughable from the umps.

The stupidity in some of the decisions causing tempers to boil over, paying free kicks that weren’t there, Smith just making things up as he sees fit.

Actually felt for Cassidy today he copped it from the crowd and the umps and it wasn’t deserved. He did well not to completely lose it with them.

Cha_Ching_00

Debutant
Jul 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Spot on assessment

The egos were out of control, something needs to change as what I witnessed today was laughable from the umps.

The stupidity in some of the decisions causing tempers to boil over, paying free kicks that weren’t there, Smith just making things up as he sees fit.

Actually felt for Cassidy today he copped it from the crowd and the umps and it wasn’t deserved. He did well not to completely lose it with them.

Well said, neutral fan here also and I have seen better umpiring from from umpires that the TFUA send to the ODFA. Actually turned me off watch the footy.

Smith, Donoghue and Roberts collectively need to realise it’s not about them. We love the umpires and there wouldn’t be a game without them, but you have to call out ridiculous performances! A player or fan will lose it one day..... not good

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Spot on assessment

I watched the game. I'd say the 50meter penalty Cassidy got then reversed when he ran into the player jogging to the new mark was wrong on my understanding of the rules & how usually umpires rule on it. It should have been another 50meter penalty. Cassidy had every right to get to the new mark. The player had no right to get in his way. The umpires were on his case for some reason.

Lindisfarne just lost themselves under pressure. They couldn't take a trick. A bugger of a day for them.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah I also agree. Smith in particular has a showpony ego the size of Texas and has a history of it.
He was the one who handed out something like ten 50m penalties and about four or five send-offs on the opening day match up at the TCA and got carpeted by the umpires boss for over-umpiring it completely.
By in large they do a pretty good job all up, but there's three or four in the league that think they're in the AFL. Smith and that old umpire that only does Huon games in the Reserves and Colts by far the worst.

mr incredibe

Senior List
Oct 13, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I also agree. Smith in particular has a showpony ego the size of Texas and has a history of it.
He was the one who handed out something like ten 50m penalties and about four or five send-offs on the opening day match up at the TCA and got carpeted by the umpires boss for over-umpiring it completely.
By in large they do a pretty good job all up, but there's three or four in the league that think they're in the AFL. Smith and that old umpire that only does Huon games in the Reserves and Colts by far the worst.

Rodney Guy I assume you mean haha
Umpires games his kids are involved in and is that ridiculously biased.

Incident when huon played sorell a while back this year he tried to report a reserves player from sorell for hurting his son in the twos game whilst he wasn’t even the umpire, was watching the game as he was then to be the senior ump, proceeded to abuse supporters and state that sorell won’t get any favors from him! Literally in front of about 30 people this went on.

In saying this the reserves umpires yesterday were great, Scott and Williams in particular, clearly have football experience, didn’t buy into a few blokes staging and just called what they saw consistently. That’s all the seniors need. Blokes like that. Given there is three umps in finals surely some less athletic guys like Jason Williams, Matthew Scott would be much better options

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond

Incident when huon played sorell a while back this year he tried to report a reserves player from sorell for hurting his son in the twos game whilst he wasn’t even the umpire, was watching the game as he was then to be the senior ump, proceeded to abuse supporters and state that sorell won’t get any favors from him! Literally in front of about 30 people this went on.

In saying this the reserves umpires yesterday were great, Scott and Williams in particular, clearly have football experience, didn’t buy into a few blokes staging and just called what they saw consistently. That’s all the seniors need. Blokes like that. Given there is three umps in finals surely some less athletic guys like Jason Williams, Matthew Scott would be much better options
I'm not sure what his name his, but he's a short, fat, bald guy with a grey moustache that generally only does Colts and Reserves games at Huonville or Cygnet. Looks a bit like the Monopoly Man!
Once gave Huonville a 100m penalty in a Reserves game for abuse by the Hobart bench after a Hobart player got knocked out behind play and he didn't report the Huonville player, nor did he even pay a free kick! A short time later he paid another 50m penalty for abuse by the same bench, but it was actually a spectator sitting in his car about 10m around from the bench in the pocket who had yelled out to him asking him if he was being delivered another load of firewood this week by Huonville for doing a good job.
This guy was just on a power-trip, bigtime.
Yes, the Reserves game yesterday was a bit of a ticking timebomb there for awhile in the last quarter, #48 for New Norfolk was swinging punches like a rusty gate near the end and got sent off, doubt he'll be lining up next week.
Thought Huonville were going to pinch it at the death but the Eagles held on.
Colts game was another where the umpires just got on with the job and didn't try to stand out. Did a good job.
I see Lindisfarne's put a formal complaint in over yesterday.

mr incredibe

Senior List
Oct 13, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not sure what his name his, but he's a short, fat, bald guy with a grey moustache that generally only does Colts and Reserves games at Huonville or Cygnet. Looks a bit like the Monopoly Man!
Once gave Huonville a 100m penalty in a Reserves game for abuse by the Hobart bench after a Hobart player got knocked out behind play and he didn't report the Huonville player, nor did he even pay a free kick! A short time later he paid another 50m penalty for abuse by the same bench, but it was actually a spectator sitting in his car about 10m around from the bench in the pocket who had yelled out to him asking him if he was being delivered another load of firewood this week by Huonville for doing a good job.
Yes, the Reserves game yesterday was a bit of a ticking timebomb there for awhile in the last quarter, #48 for New Norfolk was swinging punches like a rusty gate near the end and got sent off, doubt he'll be lining up next week.
Colts game was another where the umpires just got on with the job and didn't try to stand out. Did a good job.
Oh wow it’s a different bloke then, few like it these days unfortunately.

On a funnier not I did see a volunteer umpire in the colts cop abuse from a player and responded with “ shut your mouth or I’ll shut it for you” needless to say the players were quite respectful after that 😂😂

How do you know they put in a complaint is that visible somewhere?

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
SFL women’s point system made the gf in Div 1 a joke. Glenorchy girls playing with less on ground while perfectly fit other girls have to sit and watch.
Love Claremont bleating about the fact they want to play in a relaxed league. What about the girls who weren’t allowed to play due to no fault of their own?
Just an excuse not to have to run and train. The women’s game gets held back continually from clubs and people with only self interest in mind.
I hope the SFL felt uncomfortable watching that. Players not being allowed to play who have played all year. Just a joke.
Oh and now Claremont beat Clarence I assume they’ll have less points then Clarence next year?

Disgusting.

Phil49

Senior List
Apr 9, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
SFL women’s point system made the gf in Div 1 a joke. Glenorchy girls playing with less on ground while perfectly fit other girls have to sit and watch.
Love Claremont bleating about the fact they want to play in a relaxed league. What about the girls who weren’t allowed to play due to no fault of their own?
Just an excuse not to have to run and train. The women’s game gets held back continually from clubs and people with only self interest in mind.
I hope the SFL felt uncomfortable watching that. Players not being allowed to play who have played all year. Just a joke.
Oh and now Claremont beat Clarence I assume they’ll have less points then Clarence next year?

Disgusting.
Can you blame the sfl? Or should the blame be with glenorchy? They chose to play a player down.

The points system is great and the best system available to make sure teams can't just chase and pay whoever they want.

Instead of your blame being on the league, maybe it should be directed towards the glenorchy staff who decided they would play with one less and force those to watch.

Obviously it's hard and it's a grand final. They chose to do something and it worked well for them. Just think it's a bit misdirected...

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
The Women's competition was a bit messy this year but probably understandable given that the TSL Womens comp had collapsed at the end of last season and the Old Scholars clubs opted to nuzzle in on joining it as well.
All of a sudden the SFL had to try and reconfigure a competition of three seperate womens divisions consisting of varying skill levels to try and accomodate all the teams coming in, so it was a bit all over the shop with scheduling but by in large, they did pretty well to run a tri-division competition in all truth.
It would be something they would continue to review in the coming seasons I would think.

I've heard that Dodges Ferry are now intending on putting a team into SFLW next season, one would wonder what that means for the South East Suns given that they were a seperate entity representing both Sorell and Dodges Ferry's region.
Am not sure whether Hobart is interested in putting another team together after the previous two attempts haven't worked out.
Hobart doesn't have the manpower with volunteers to run another team on top of what they already have, most of the club's small number of volunteers are aging, some over the age of 85, and most have been there for decades.
The previous women's team never brought anyone along to help with volunteering, nor did any themselves, so it was an even greater workload thrown onto an already stretched volunteer base.
My opinion is AFL Tasmania should run a proper womens competition, consisting of accredited coaches, governed by women with only the better teams invited to participate.
That would free up the more "social" teams to play in the SFLW.

Last edited:

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
How do you know they put in a complaint is that visible somewhere?
The Colts volunteer umpires they had during the season did a fab job I reckon. Just paid the obvious stuff and didn't overdo it.
Was like a throwback to SFL Colts footy from pre-2000.
I read in the Sunday Tasmanian today that they were intending on making a formal complaint, not that it'll do any good, never had any effect on the result.

footynuffy

Draftee
Aug 7, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Can you blame the sfl? Or should the blame be with glenorchy? They chose to play a player down.

The points system is great and the best system available to make sure teams can't just chase and pay whoever they want.

Instead of your blame being on the league, maybe it should be directed towards the glenorchy staff who decided they would play with one less and force those to watch.

i think you maybe slightly misinformed glenorchy had no choice but to play short as the players they had mad up the allocated points.

agree the points system is the best way to control teams "loading up" and trying to attract juniors who left to play statewide league.

the women's point system has been flawed from day one and does it seem right to penalize a club and its players because the statewide league folded i think not !!!

the sfl has 6 months have another crack at it and get it right, you don't see that happening in the men's game

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong

Obviously it's hard and it's a grand final. They chose to do something and it worked well for them. Just think it's a bit misdirected...
They didn’t and haven’t chased anyone. Both Glenorchy and Clarence were set up to fail. The ex TSL players should never have been 4 points. They should of been 3 just like Eaton, Duffy etc in Claremont.
Glenorchy played their best team possible which meant they were 1 short.
It’s not even playing short it’s the fact that girls are on the sideline in tears either way because of a flawed system.

Either way players had to miss out for Glenorchy and it was ridiculous. It’s a game and I was stunned Claremont didn’t just say ply your full compliment.

footynuffy

Draftee
Aug 7, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond

i know the umpire your referring to he is not a bad umpire that would be being generous, he is a plan and simply a cheat and doesn't hide the fact if you get him down the huon your screwed.... much the same can be said for the other guy who looks like the paddle pop lion and used to coach at hobart.

Cha_Ching_00

Debutant
Jul 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

Agreed, for a bloke who was a very, very average footballer and a real abrasive personality, Mathew Scott makes a good umpire! (Maybe there’s something in that)

I can’t see Umpire Smith and the Razor Chamber...... sorry I mean Donoghue doing the Senior Grand Final this week, I’d nearly take Rodney “Hollywood” Guy over these and that’s saying something......

Jul 16, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hobart Tigers, Hurricanes,
They didn’t and haven’t chased anyone. Both Glenorchy and Clarence were set up to fail. The ex TSL players should never have been 4 points. They should of been 3 just like Eaton, Duffy etc in Claremont.
Glenorchy played their best team possible which meant they were 1 short.
It’s not even playing short it’s the fact that girls are on the sideline in tears either way because of a flawed system.

Either way players had to miss out for Glenorchy and it was ridiculous. It’s a game and I was stunned Claremont didn’t just say ply your full compliment.
The "flawed system" was surely better than just permitting the TSLW to roll back into the competition and belt everyone by 200+ pts every week.
Glenorchy chose to play one short at the end of the day, they could have played other lesser point players and had a full 18.
They essentially made the decision that some of their better players were good enough that playing short was better than having a full side with lesser quality players.

Also the rules are very clear about the points, there's not opportunity for an opposing club to waive the requirement.

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
The "flawed system" was surely better than just permitting the TSLW to roll back into the competition and belt everyone by 200+ pts every week.
Glenorchy chose to play one short at the end of the day, they could have played other lesser point players and had a full 18.
They essentially made the decision that some of their better players were good enough that playing short was better than having a full side with lesser quality players.

Also the rules are very clear about the points, there's not opportunity for an opposing club to waive the requirement.
Funny that it was ok for Claremont, Brighton and others though to smash teams in previous years. Or for Hutchins to steamroll teams this year.

Everyone should have the same points, with promotion and relegation.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm not sure what 'choice' Glenorchy had.

Speaking to a few people it appeared the points system was introduced because a few years ago an SFL club went & recruited a heap of TSLW players to win a flag.

Thats fine. However the TSLW teams came into the competition & had no way of recruiting 1 point players at that stage. Consequently they had to juggle their players as best they could.

I'm told during the season they played games against SFL clubs with no interchange & a number of very young girls played to fit under the cap. Come finals time some of the young 1 point players had been injured or become unavailable. Indeed one was injured early in the GF so Glenorchy were 2 short on the field with no interchange!

Applying that points system seems a bit ridiculous as the TSL teams only had the players who'd trained & were ready for the TSLW season.

The SFL should have allowed for that situation instead of penalising the girls, who just wanted to play in their team.

The question may be, whats the point of a 1st division if its not the top level for the girls to play in? What hope did Glenorchy have of getting a full team?

Another point mentioned was the SFL forced the TSL clubs to comply which left them short of players, ie no bench. So where was the player welfare in all that? Getting a knock then they couldn't come off. Thats a bad situation.

The SFL were happy to have the TSLW players play in the representative games but then slammed down in the Grand Final!!

The Northern comps didn't have such a points penalty. They just let them play. Its the way to see the others improve against the best.

I think it was dangerous to not work out how to have interchange players. It was an embarrassment to the both the SFL & AFLTas to see so few playing, yet so many available.

jj15

All Australian
Jan 10, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not sure what 'choice' Glenorchy had.

Speaking to a few people it appeared the points system was introduced because a few years ago an SFL club went & recruited a heap of TSLW players to win a flag.

Thats fine. However the TSLW teams came into the competition & had no way of recruiting 1 point players at that stage. Consequently they had to juggle their players as best they could.

I'm told during the season they played games against SFL clubs with no interchange & a number of very young girls played to fit under the cap. Come finals time some of the young 1 point players had been injured or become unavailable. Indeed one was injured early in the GF so Glenorchy were 2 short on the field with no interchange!

Applying that points system seems a bit ridiculous as the TSL teams only had the players who'd trained & were ready for the TSLW season.

The SFL should have allowed for that situation instead of penalising the girls, who just wanted to play in their team.

The question may be, whats the point of a 1st division if its not the top level for the girls to play in? What hope did Glenorchy have of getting a full team?

Another point mentioned was the SFL forced the TSL clubs to comply which left them short of players, ie no bench. So where was the player welfare in all that? Getting a knock then they couldn't come off. Thats a bad situation.

The SFL were happy to have the TSLW players play in the representative games but then slammed down in the Grand Final!!

The Northern comps didn't have such a points penalty. They just let them play. Its the way to see the others improve against the best.

I think it was dangerous to not work out how to have interchange players. It was an embarrassment to the both the SFL & AFLTas to see so few playing, yet so many available.
Correct.

I brought it up as I could not believe what I was seeing.Seeing 10 players on the sidelines not allowed to play is ridiculous.
If I was coach of Claremont I would of allowed them to pick the same amount of players as I had. They are all Glenorchy girls originally, different to what Brighton did a few years back.

anyways I assume those players like Skinner, Barwicks etc will now be 3 point players next year and not 4?

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Correct.

I brought it up as I could not believe what I was seeing.Seeing 10 players on the sidelines not allowed to play is ridiculous.
If I was coach of Claremont I would of allowed them to pick the same amount of players as I had. They are all Glenorchy girls originally, different to what Brighton did a few years back.

anyways I assume those players like Skinner, Barwicks etc will now be 3 point players next year and not 4?

Given the Premier's comment about the TSL then maybe it'd be best if AFLTas made the effort to reform the TSLW which they pushed hard to start about 6 years ago.

Then the SFL can go back to local footy & not worry about players wanting to train & improve themselves.

Maybe a 6 team TSLW. Ulverstone, Launceston, North Launy, Clarence, Glenorchy & Kingston. I think North Hobart will soon be up to that level too!

Back