Players who have gone on one year too long

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually agree now. He played some excellent footy at times this year. He doesn’t have anything more to give though and he’s playing on instinct nothing more.

What Geelong need is a phased retirement of their players, they don’t want a large chunk going in one or two years. It is not an easy job, but it must be some out, some in.

Do you play on and slide down the other side, tainting your image ?. Better to go with some fuel left in the tank.

Will Joel take one for the team, opening up a team spot for next season ?.

Lachie Neale according to the recent trade speculation thread ;)

Robbie gray

Travis Boak. I knew he was getting slower but his kicking has to be up there with Powell-Pepper for worst in the competition.

Charlie dixon
Tom Jonas

Charlie Dixon and Ken Hinkley should both retire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t really understand the point of Dixon. What does he actually do on the field that contributes to a winning brand of football? Acting tough and kicking a few junk time goals isn’t really cutting it.

He does a good enough job bringing the ball to ground for their smalls, but the way the commentators cream themselves over "BIG CHARLIE" you'd think he's on the level of Hawkins/Kennedy.

As a goal kicking threat, Port could well be better off with the King George/Marshall going forward.

Geelong are dangerously close to becoming the Fitzroy of the next 5 years! They have approximately 5 players playing next year who shouldn't. No young players are coming through like the Dogs and Demons, it's going to be a very tough few years, i think North Melbourne has a better future.

So they can use pick #88? Not likely.

I’m worried that Geelong will end up with a pile of retirements over one or two seasons. The retirements need to be spread out over 3 - 4 years.

Joel has done so much, what more can he offer, experience ?. With his tiring body not able to get to where his mind wants it, will his experience be negated.

Sometimes it’s better to retire with a bit of fuel in the tank.

Geelong are dangerously close to becoming the Fitzroy of the next 5 years! They have approximately 5 players playing next year who shouldn't. No young players are coming through like the Dogs and Demons, it's going to be a very tough few years, i think North Melbourne has a better future.

I agree in relation to North, maybe another 2 seasons before they start to really charge upwards.

I’m worried that Geelong will end up with a pile of retirements over one or two seasons. The retirements need to be spread out over 3 - 4 years.

Joel has done so much, what more can he offer, experience ?. With his tiring body not able to get to where his mind wants it, will his experience be negated.

Sometimes it’s better to retire with a bit of fuel in the tank.

He had a pretty good season but like most teammates, struggled to raise the bar in finals. Others have more pressing cases for retirement.

I agree in relation to North, maybe another 2 seasons before they start to really charge upwards.
Cats have a few good players to be competitive in some matches as long as they don't have the fish! I can't see them winning more than 8-10 games in 2022 and it will be 4 or 5 in 2023...None of Geelong's draft picks have taken the bit between the teeth in 2020 and 2021. They have three picks in the 30s at this year's draft so this will test Wells and Co who haven't set the world on fire recruiting-wise for a long time! They have run out of band-aids!

I could see them doubling down and going to the trade table.

If the neale discussion taught anyone anything it is that people grossly overrate picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back