Universal Love Grand final week general discussion - Opposition supporters welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaz represents the fan base perfectly, he's a non believing forever worried nuffy like all of us. His heart bleeds red and blue, tell me anyone who couldn't feel how proud he was to be a Melbourne man in the rooms on Friday night, holding back tears.

People get upset when garry is critical of the dees, it's not because he hates the club it's the opposite. Could see he had been crying when he was in the rooms.

It's going to be a long two weeks last night's results makes me feel so uneasy. Seeing some of the vision being broke down makes me feel a lot better. Not taking away from the western Bulldogs they came out to play but Port were so lazy they would have lost to anyone with that effort or lack of. I'll probably fall back into doom and gloom mode over the next few days.

Gaz represents the fan base perfectly, he's a non believing forever worried nuffy like all of us. His heart bleeds red and blue, tell me anyone who couldn't feel how proud he was to be a Melbourne man in the rooms on Friday night, holding back tears.
Gaz laughing when Gawny was taking the piss was almost exactly the same thing I was doing.

We were belted by a younger, tougher, more committed side. Can add more talented to that list too if I'm honest.
May sound like a copout but with gun to head, if I had to pick a club to do that to us, it'd probably be yours.

You will obviously have a huge amount of well-wishers like me, having witnessed and felt some measure of the disappointment of 2000, '88, and of course '87. Admired from afar the Flowers, Stynes, Neitzs, Greens, McDonalds, Jones' and more. Think it'd be pretty accurate to say I've like almost every Dees supporter I've met. Long-suffering as we were for so long, humble due to that (as we once were), but as passionate as any going around. I guess it's the nature of our clubs to have your supporters overwhelmingly rusted-on, legacy type people, not too many gloryhunters hang on for this long. Just good people. With that wait comes the tendency to be many's '2nd team' - again as we were at one point in time, hard as it is to imagine now.

I imagine many reading this would love to be rid of that tag - to be again disliked, feared even, due to overwhelming onfield success. To be a powerhouse of the competition once more. I think you may have all the pieces in place to do just that over the next few years.

Now as I've said to my real life diehard mates - go on and win the damned thing!

Definitely rooting for your lot, just far too long between drinks and the best team all year long.

I remember coming in here a few weeks back and saying how your 2nd quarter against us earlier in the season was the best footy I'd seen all year, well you basically did that for 4 quarters on Friday. Simply amazing.

As Lunchlady Doris said above me, this will be the last year of supporters coming in here wishing you well. Once you win the cup this year, it's rivals only, which I'm sure is what you guys would absolutely want.

Hope we can have another QF rematch next year, best of luck in the Granny!

Ok, let's go through what we know:

Bont:- Their best player. He'll find the ball but we need to limit him forward of centre.

Caleb Daniel:- He will look to hit up dangerous kicks. As soon as the ball is in his hands, get the zone set up.

Weightman/Hunter/Macrae: The ducking trio. We need to make sure that our tackles are low and we don't fall into their backs. Specifically for these 3. They get goals and clearances from this staging and it's a real thing. We need to be mindful of it.

Naughton:- No running and jumping at the ball. This is obvious. May needs to be fit and block his run early in the contest to throw his timing off.

Bailey Smith: Need to be accountable when he runs forward of centre. Great player but has been left alone the last 2 weeks. Needs time to be put into him.

Gawn: He will dominate English/Martin. He must push them off the ball and kick it fwd at every opportunity.

Pickett: Big game player. He just needs to be lively and get to as many contests as possible.

Petracca and Oliver and Viney: We generally concede clearances but we can't do that against the dogs as their fwds and mids are too good to concede that.

Ok, let's go through what we know:

Bont:- Their best player. He'll find the ball but we need to limit him forward of centre.

Caleb Daniel:- He will look to hit up dangerous kicks. As soon as the ball is in his hands, get the zone set up.

Weightman/Hunter/Macrae: The ducking trio. We need to make sure that our tackles are low and we don't fall into their backs. Specifically for these 3. They get goals and clearances from this staging and it's a real thing. We need to be mindful of it.

Naughton:- No running and jumping at the ball. This is obvious. May needs to be fit and block his run early in the contest to throw his timing off.

Bailey Smith: Need to be accountable when he runs forward of centre. Great player but has been left alone the last 2 weeks. Needs time to be put into him.

Gawn: He will dominate English/Martin. He must push them off the ball and kick it fwd at every opportunity.

Pickett: Big game player. He just needs to be lively and get to as many contests as possible.

Petracca and Oliver and Viney: We generally concede clearances but we can't do that against the dogs as their fwds and mids are too good to concede that.

We conceded the clearances against them when we beat them comfortably. The clearance number itself doesn't matter, what matters is what type of clearances they are.

We were belted by a younger, tougher, more committed side. Can add more talented to that list too if I'm honest.
May sound like a copout but with gun to head, if I had to pick a club to do that to us, it'd probably be yours.

You will obviously have a huge amount of well-wishers like me, having witnessed and felt some measure of the disappointment of 2000, '88, and of course '87. Admired from afar the Flowers, Stynes, Neitzs, Greens, McDonalds, Jones' and more. Think it'd be pretty accurate to say I've like almost every Dees supporter I've met. Long-suffering as we were for so long, humble due to that (as we once were), but as passionate as any going around. I guess it's the nature of our clubs to have your supporters overwhelmingly rusted-on, legacy type people, not too many gloryhunters hang on for this long. Just good people. With that wait comes the tendency to be many's '2nd team' - again as we were at one point in time, hard as it is to imagine now.

I imagine many reading this would love to be rid of that tag - to be again disliked, feared even, due to overwhelming onfield success. To be a powerhouse of the competition once more. I think you may have all the pieces in place to do just that over the next few years.

Now as I've said to my real life diehard mates - go on and win the damned thing!
Thanks for the kind words Doris, and there's always room for you on the Pre-emptive Bandwagon ♥️

Gaz laughing when Gawny was taking the piss was almost exactly the same thing I was doing.
All week I was a wreck. Feeling the trepidation of bursting into tears no matter the result but that third quarter had me laughing for the rest of the night. A hell of a lot of fun!

On Lyon, I reckon he’s unfairly maligned by a lot of supporters (mostly our own) on forums. He gave his all for our club as a player, made his decision to focus on his media career in retirement and has helped us out where he could and when he could. Too early to be quibbling about cup handouts but there’s no doubt that Gaddy is an MFC legend and deserves our thanks and respect.

Last edited:
Just want to say that when I first joined BF some 7 years ago, I made a blunder by posting on this board something I meant to post on ours (had multiple tabs open and so on).

Obviously the Dees weren’t crash hot at this point in time, and you were going down to Carlton. I posted something like ‘losing to Carlton? That’s a paddling’ (simpsons reference). I panicked when I realised I’d posted something antagonistic on an opposition board and was anticipating a whack in return.

By the time I’d checked it had been given a bunch of likes with some replies that found it funny. Always appreciated that, even though I genuinely didn’t intend to post it here. Most boards would have just given me a swift boot.

I know we now have to try and be the foil to the team looking to break the drought, and it’ll be on, but just wanted to share that little anecdote.

Sucks that we miss the game being at the G and the parade, especially for you lot, since we at least had it in 16. On the bright side, at least both teams get an extra week to soak it all in before one of us gets our hearts broken, I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just want to say that when I first joined BF some 7 years ago, I made a blunder by posting on this board something I meant to post on ours (had multiple tabs open and so on).

Obviously the Dees weren’t crash hot at this point in time, and you were going down to Carlton. I posted something like ‘losing to Carlton? That’s a paddling’ (simpsons reference). I panicked when I realised I’d posted something antagonistic on an opposition board and was anticipating a whack in return.

By the time I’d checked it had been given a bunch of likes with some replies that found it funny. Always appreciated that, even though I genuinely didn’t intend to post it here. Most boards would have just given me a swift boot.

I know we now have to try and be the foil to the team looking to break the drought, and it’ll be on, but just wanted to share that little anecdote.

Sucks that we miss the game being at the G and the parade, especially for you lot, since we at least had it in 16. On the bright side, at least both teams get an extra week to soak it all in before one of us gets our hearts broken, I guess.

You give us a Smipsons reference in s**t times and we will likely still love anyone who does if done in a funny manner.

does anybody know how early the queue usually opens up before the tickets go on sale? I suffer from anxiety something wicked so if I knew a time it'd save me a few years and checking every 2 minutes

does anybody know how early the queue usually opens up before the tickets go on sale? I suffer from anxiety something wicked so if I knew a time it'd save me a few years and checking every 2 minutes

Not sure if Grand Final is different but throughout the year when I was buying tickets I had to time my run as you get about 10 minutes once you actually get in and can't go back into the queue from the browser. If tickets aren't available while you're in bad luck. So you want to get in as close to the hour as possible.

What I would suggest from now until then open up the queue at different times in different browsers. like do one in chrome now, then in 5 minutes open up the window in microsoft edge, five minutes after that do the phone app, if you have two computers you could utilise that as well.

The only issue with that idea is if they track your ip. In which case I would make sure you are using mobile data on your phone so you have a different ip to your computer.

Good luck mate.

Not sure if Grand Final is different but throughout the year when I was buying tickets I had to time my run as you get about 10 minutes once you actually get in and can't go back into the queue from the browser. If tickets aren't available while you're in bad luck. So you want to get in as close to the hour as possible.

What I would suggest from now until then open up the queue at different times in different browsers. like do one in chrome now, then in 5 minutes open up the window in microsoft edge, five minutes after that do the phone app, if you have two computers you could utilise that as well.

The only issue with that idea is if they track your ip. In which case I would make sure you are using mobile data on your phone so you have a different ip to your computer.

Good luck mate.
if they track IP's that actually ****ed, they still get all the cash regardless

if they track IP's that actually f’ed, they still get all the cash regardless

I highly doubt they do as the browser swapping has worked for me in the past and it would be silly as so many people would buy their tickets from the office.

Still I'd turn off wifi on my phone just in case.

Much more likely they just give your browser session a cookie so you can't just open fifty tabs. That's why you use different browsers.

I highly doubt they do as the browser swapping has worked for me in the past and it would be silly as so many people would buy their tickets from the office.

Still I'd turn off wifi on my phone just in case.

Much more likely they just give your browser session a cookie so you can't just open fifty tabs. That's why you use different browsers.

They give your browser a cookie.

Opening additional sessions isn’t against their terms and conditions, so they aren’t blocking IP’s.

the issue you could get is IF you try and pay at the same time on multiple windows. Services like PayPal and banks, will likely end your session and not process these requests. This is due to the potential fraud that multiple session can cause. This can cause your IP to be blocked for a short time by the payment provider.

So, multiple session = YES. simultaneous payments = NO.

They give your browser a cookie.

Opening additional sessions isn’t against their terms and conditions, so they aren’t blocking IP’s.

the issue you could get is IF you try and pay at the same time on multiple windows. Services like PayPal and banks, will likely end your session and not process these requests. This is due to the potential fraud that multiple session can cause. This can cause your IP to be blocked for a short time by the payment provider.

So, multiple session = YES. simultaneous payments = NO.

Yeah makes sense. Not sure why you would want to do simultaneous payments though. Once you've got a good session just go for it surely

Thinking we'd be pissed off at a Simpsons reference?? That's a paddlin'

paddlin.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back