News Jake Kelly departs to Essendon as a free agent

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tbh, Ive always wanted to try Kelly as the defender who could also play on smalls. I think this is great thinking by Essendon. The great thing if this comes off for them is that Kelly can also play on medium forwards should they go down there.

This is an area where Brown continually struggled for us. Throwing Dusty or Danger down to the forward line would cause major reshuffling for us.

Could be an excellent get for Essendon if this tactic comes off.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Listen to the retirement interviews of Talia, Lynch and Mackay with Rucci/Dillon on SEN and I’m pretty sure all 3 admit that the camp was a massive failure or words to that effect. Generally done with the right intentions, but very poorly executed. This despite Dillon trying to preach that it was a case of “nothing to see here”, none agreed with him. Sadly, there was “plenty to see there”…

To me, it likely went a bit wrong, nothing huge, but any concerns would have fallen on the deaf ears of Pyke, Campo, Burton and Fagan. If the next point of complaint was to Football Director then the deafness would only have gotten worse. Then we silence the complainants and deny any issues occurred whatsoever. Then the aggrieved leak, so we trot out guys like Sloane who'll do anything to please Chapman, who in his eyes is the "godfather and protector of our footy club".

I don't doubt there were some utensil ups, but I do doubt that if handled properly it'd not made it into the public sphere. The entire reason it happened in the first place was because the coaches blamed our running out of petrol tickets on the 22 being weak of mind. The die was cast before we even booked ourselves into the camp. Whatever happened there just accelerated the unavoidable outcome.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
To me, it likely went a bit wrong, nothing huge, but any concerns would have fallen on the deaf ears of Pyke, Campo, Burton and Fagan. If the next point of complaint was to Football Director then the deafness would only have gotten worse. Then we silence the complainants and deny any issues occurred whatsoever. Then the aggrieved leak, so we trot out guys like Sloane who'll do anything to please Chapman, who in his eyes is the "godfather and protector of our footy club".

I don't doubt there were some utensil ups, but I do doubt that if handled properly it'd not made it into the public sphere. The entire reason it happened in the first place was because the coaches blamed our running out of petrol tickets on the 22 being weak of mind. The die was cast before we even booked ourselves into the camp. Whatever happened there just accelerated the unavoidable outcome.
Will interesting to listen to Milera's exit media interviews when the time comes. I think that the indigenous players were the ones that were effected the most. Then it slowly effected other players. Our 2018 season was such a poor effort after that grand final loss followed by the clean out in 2019. We really dont know what happened but it had a massive impact on our club.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh ******* please. Jesus.

And yet sadly, that's the totality of your argument. If most weren't upset, then those that were have no reason to be upset themselves. You know, because most had no issues. Dumbest argument ever. And, as I posted, the only people that were allowed to talk about it on the record were those that had no problem with it.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
And yet sadly, that's the totality of your argument. If most weren't upset, then those that were have no reason to be upset themselves. You know, because most had no issues. Dumbest argument ever. And, as I posted, the only people that were allowed to talk about it on the record were those that had no problem with it.
Only those who were ok with it were allowed to talk about it? Said who?

you’re obsessed, and wrong again with another bullshit argument.

please show me where I said that because the majority weren’t upset that those who were upset had no reason to be upset themselves.

yours is an invented argument based on your assumption that you know what I believe, which you don’t. You’ve completely misread my original post and used it again to peddle your utter bullshit.

other than that… love your posting 😂

Last edited:

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Everyone know CM isn't for everyone, hence it's controversial. The one who didn't like it also talked about it through the media resulting in what happened end of 2019.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2010
Ngunnawal
AFL Club
Adelaide
So Brad Crouch wants out, we think he's awesome and worth band 1 compo, but Vic media down rate him something fierce and we end up with Band 3.

One of our whipping boys in Kelly wants out, Vic media is calling him a star, and we could possibly end up with Band 3?

As I said earlier, both same age at departure. I'm guessing Crouch's contract was at the top of Band 3 in the formula, and wouldn't surprise me if Kelly's deal was at the bottom of that range.

Apparently Joe Daniher (also 26) was on 700-750k at Ess, and the Brisbane offer was probably in the same ballpark, which was Band 1. We know Atkins who was only 6 months younger than Crouch/Kelly got a 5 year $400k deal at GC, which was enough for Band 4. Crouch deal was reported as $600-650k per season, which was band 3. Where Kelly goes, if his $$ get reported, will give us a fourth data point on the smoke and mirrors of the compensation formula for a 26 year old FA.

conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Pretty sure Atkins received four years guaranteed at the Suns, which is what would’ve been assessed for FA compo.

Would be very happy with an end of second rounder for Kelly, thrilled with a second rounder immediately following ours.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Champion Data has Kelly as the 2nd best one-on-one defender in the competition.
Always liked his courage and determination. Go well, Bull. Hope you have a good rest of career.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
His defensive work is great.

Ball in hand is the issue.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Listen to the retirement interviews of Talia, Lynch and Mackay with Rucci/Dillon on SEN and I’m pretty sure all 3 admit that the camp was a massive failure or words to that effect. Generally done with the right intentions, but very poorly executed. This despite Dillon trying to preach that it was a case of “nothing to see here”, none agreed with him. Sadly, there was “plenty to see there”…
The aspect of the camp I have been told was the biggest issue was the truth telling session they had.

The guys had to sit in a circle and each had a turn to stand up in the middle with those seated telling them negative aspects of their lives. Not just Footy related.

A lot of trusts broken through that.

The CM guys berated the players into telling some pretty horrible things.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty sure Atkins received four years guaranteed at the Suns, which is what would’ve been assessed for FA compo.

Would be very happy with an end of second rounder for Kelly, thrilled with a second rounder immediately following ours.

Years don't matter once the qualifying period of 2 is achieved. It's based solely on the yearly rate, length irrelevant.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
The aspect of the camp I have been told was the biggest issue was the truth telling session they had.

The guys had to sit in a circle and each had a turn to stand up in the middle with those seated telling them negative aspects of their lives. Not just Footy related.

Wouldn't your leaders just tell them to GAGF though? Would be another wedge shoved between senior and junior players. The senior players likely have had their ratbag years and settled down with missus and kids. So you'd think if this occurred there'd be an imbalance of finger pointing at current lifestyle choices.

He's also not the best one on one defender in the league, he's the best (or second best or whatever) at winning his one on one contests

If Jake Kelly was played on the Aaron Naughtons of the world, his "one on one defensive win rate" would plummet. Being constantly given roles on the opposition's 4th or 5th most dangerous forward and being generally a competent defender is going to lead to a pretty good one on one defensive win rate, but that's relative to the role he plays and opponents he is given

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wouldn't your leaders just tell them to GAGF though? Would be another wedge shoved between senior and junior players. The senior players likely have had their ratbag years and settled down with missus and kids. So you'd think if this occurred there'd be an imbalance of finger pointing at current lifestyle choices.
This session was part of the "Black Ops" part where mainly senior players present.

But no doubt that division filters through.

I think the concept was to break the guys down and remove the ego. Build them back up.

Our guys, like Port on Saturday, thought we had the GF won before taking the field. Played like it, fell apart with a bit of resistance and not able to just play our champagne football.

The theory behind the camp was to fix that mentality.

Failed big time.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
He's also not the best one on one defender in the league, he's the best (or second best or whatever) at winning his one on one contests

If Jake Kelly was played on the Aaron Naughtons of the world, his "one on one defensive win rate" would plummet. Being constantly given roles on the opposition's 4th or 5th most dangerous forward and being generally a competent defender is going to lead to a pretty good one on one defensive win rate, but that's relative to the role he plays and opponents he is given
Yeah I agree. He plays his defensive role though.

But his issues with ball in hand far outweigh his ability to defend the opposition's third forward.

Better to give a younger guy that role. Or see how Hinge goes.

Kelly leaving us win/win.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers

Its ball in hand when he gets a free or is paid a mark thats the problem.

As soon as he walks back off a mark his brain engages its handbrake and he takes an eternity to make a decision.. and then he generally *s up because he overthinks it or tries something cute that his skills arent up to.

Ball in hand on the run in a play on situation, when under pressure and he hasnt got time to think and just plays on instinct, is actually pretty *in good..

Oct 12, 2006
Far West SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Panthers, Double Blues

going back some years my workplace employed Leading Teams [which I believe had connections to the crew that ran the camp} we also had a session where you sat out the front and "colleagues" "mates" "bit$hes" were brutally honest or dishonest to you - it was brutal and in my eyes incredibly damaging rather than positive - still uncomfortable when thinking about it. It was poorly organised and very poorly run which caused big issues. It was shut down and never spoken about again.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
going back some years my workplace employed Leading Teams [which I believe had connections to the crew that ran the camp} we also had a session where you sat out the front and "colleagues" "mates" "bit$hes" were brutally honest or dishonest to you - it was brutal and in my eyes incredibly damaging rather than positive - still uncomfortable when thinking about it. It was poorly organised and very poorly run which caused big issues. It was shut down and never spoken about again.
Pretty sure leading teams has nothing to do with CM.

Leading teams is the Ray McLean mob that many AFL teams have used. Love them or hate them they have a lot of experience and employ practices and techniques which are industry accepted. Feedback is a big part of what they do.

CM were just cowboys with limited experience and no scientific basis. I remember one of them was a web administrator or something before deciding he was now leadership expert.

Jun 23, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty sure leading teams has nothing to do with CM.

Leading teams is the Ray McLean mob that many AFL teams have used. Love them or hate them they have a lot of experience and employ practices and techniques which are industry accepted. Feedback is a big part of what they do.

CM were just cowboys with limited experience and no scientific basis. I remember one of them was a web administrator or something before deciding he was now leadership expert.

We did the equivalent of going to a Naturopath for Cancer treatment.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Right, so contract length doesn’t matter but age does? (Which tends to impact on contract length but not always)

yep, the way it works is that each player that's 25 or over is ranked from 0 to 100 according to their contract rate. Extrapolating out from us as an example, we had 15 players 25 and over, so league wide assume about 300 players. This means that there's about 3 players at each ranking point. Then based on age, you get extra points. 12 for a 25 year old, 10 at 26 and so on to zero for a 31 year old. So if $450k/year puts Jake at 50 points, he then gets another 10 for age, putting him at 60, which lands him in the middle of the highest 30-50% of players, equalling band 4.

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kelly is fine defensively...on the least damaging tall or playing on a small. Put him on a crafty player or an decent key forward and he shits the bed.

I still blame him for at least 1 loss this year (Showdown 2 I think). I'll be glad to see him give dumb free kicks away for another team. How many times did he slide in stupidly when the ball was already locked in and give away a high then spray the umpires or teammates?

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back