FTA-TV Wayne Carey

Remove this Banner Ad

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Does anyone else find it perplexing how easy this guy seems to hold down his 'special comments' role on 7 and MMM?

Find he offers very little insight, and at best very generic commentary. Was an absolute superstar in the 90's, possibly one of the best, but how long can 7 and the various radio commentary team keep plodding down the 'yeah they were a good player, here's a commentary role'. It's led to the commentary of the game being at its arguably worst for years, which could be a whole different thread in itself.

Putting his off-field indiscretions to the side, I don't understand how this guy continues to get such a plum job.

He's one of the boys I guess. Offers very little compared to someone like Justin Leppitsch. Ling is another one but he seems to have been phased out.

I don't mind him as a game day commentator. He's made some dumb calls before for Taking Footy, but that's just for ratings, or to fill airtime.

As a game day commentator I'd say Richo, Hamish, Darcy are all worse than him.

Carey does offer some insight, and as a guy who's literally done it all, people want his opinion. He is good at identifying players who have an impact, for example on Friday night he pinpointed Petracca even when Gawn was on fire. A lot of commentators go over the top in their praise during the game but he normally keeps that in check. Therefore it seems more genuine to me.

Last edited:

I pretty much agree with the OP, but Richardson, Bartel and Ling are worse.

Leppitsch puts them all to shame.

Edit: How could I forget Jobe Watson?

Last edited:
on Friday night he pinpointed Petracca even when Gawn was on fire.

.... how is that AT ALL an insight? Petracca was blatantly playing well, a glance at the stats can tell you that. The problem with much of modern AFL commentary is it's just ex-players going "yeah wow that thing he just did was good hey". I want an informed opinion on how a team could turn around a deficit, or genuine analysis of WHY a team is playing well. Not "jeez he's good, did you see that pick-up, one touch, wowee".

.... how is that AT ALL an insight? Petracca was blatantly playing well, a glance at the stats can tell you that. The problem with much of modern AFL commentary is it's just ex-players going "yeah wow that thing he just did was good hey". I want an informed opinion on how a team could turn around a deficit, or genuine analysis of WHY a team is playing well. Not "jeez he's good, did you see that pick-up, one touch, wowee".

My exact thoughts. My GF who hardly watches football made the comments that Gawn was killing it on Friday night, but unfortunately Channel 7 isn't paying her 200+ k a year for this.

Distinct lack of purposeful 'special' comments, breaking down plays and structures as they happen, not generic 'gee X or Y is having a good game'

...and the special comments become so much more important when you can hardly see anything that’s happening away from the constantly zoomed in camera shots.

I think it went beyond gushing over an executed skill, that's the kind of thing Darcy does. Carey was talking mostly about impact.
His comment on how to get back into the game was that the Cats need to get their hands on the ball. I suppose that's basic but maybe it's as simple as that. Perhaps he could have identified a player like Guthrie or Menegola that needed to step up.

...and the special comments become so much more important when you can hardly see anything that’s happening away from the constantly zoomed in camera shots.

This. Another topic probably but what is up with the constant close ups? During 2002 to 2006, Channel 9 were shocking in that regard, particularly with the Friday night games. But 7 have taken it to an all time low the last few seasons.

Does anyone else find it perplexing how easy this guy seems to hold down his 'special comments' role on 7 and MMM?

Find he offers very little insight, and at best very generic commentary. Was an absolute superstar in the 90's, possibly one of the best, but how long can 7 and the various radio commentary team keep plodding down the 'yeah they were a good player, here's a commentary role'. It's led to the commentary of the game being at its arguably worst for years, which could be a whole different thread in itself.

Putting his off-field indiscretions to the side, I don't understand how this guy continues to get such a plum job.
I have some good news he will not be doing the GF for seven this year.

Personally I think Wayne Carey is good on Triple M which obviously suits listeners who like the Triple M style with the blokey style having a laugh with BT, JB, Billy Brownless etc.

I think though if you analysed all the AFL special comments people Carey would be in the top half, there are some pretty bad ones - I don’t think Carey is in the bottom half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's the biggest fence sitter in the football commentary world. Genuinely adds zero to any coverage.

If he wasn't Wayne Carey then he wouldn't be anywhere near a commentary box.

I pretty much agree with the OP, but Richardson, Bartel and Ling are worse.

Leppitsch puts them all to shame.

Edit: How could I forget Jobe Watson?

It's hilarious, they literally stumbled over a guy like Leppitsch through his radio work with the dork on SEN.

Far better options out there rather than Carey, Ling etc.

Can’t think of the last time he made a comment which was not stating the bleeding obvious. The only worse offender is Ling but Carey is second in line.

Can’t think of the last time he made a comment which was not stating the bleeding obvious. The only worse offender is Ling but Carey is second in line.
Literally the whole channel 7 special comments team are so vanilla. It is beyond me how Daisy got the gong for best special comments. She points out the most obvious s**t, it's frightening. One who is half decent is probably leppa, he definitely saw the greener grass on the other side. Cannot stand channel 7 and their cringey broadcasting, it's so controlled, people are afraid to say something that might upset somebody so they play a straight bat every single time. Jason Bennett is by far their best play by play commentator, but hardly gets a decent crack at it. Would be on a fraction of the money as the other callers and delivers a much better product.

Literally the whole channel 7 special comments team are so vanilla. It is beyond me how Daisy got the gong for best special comments. She points out the most obvious sh*t, it's frightening. One who is half decent is probably leppa, he definitely saw the greener grass on the other side. Cannot stand channel 7 and their cringey broadcasting, it's so controlled, people are afraid to say something that might upset somebody so they play a straight bat every single time. Jason Bennett is by far their best play by play commentator, but hardly gets a decent crack at it. Would be on a fraction of the money as the other callers and delivers a much better product.
Everything you said is spot on.

Why does he keep saying players mark the ball "at it's highest point"? Surely he can see it went miles higher than where it is when someone marks it? And then the other dills/sheep say the same thing!

That refers to the player's highest point. It's a misleading term but it's always meant the players natural leap and arms outstretched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back