List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Keefe probably won't given he was injured in around May (?) and would need at least 8-12 months for an ACL. Even if he was on the quicker end of that timeframe, he'd still miss at the very least most of the pre-season.
The club showed a clip of Keeffe running a couple of weeks ago.
Hopefully he stays on track and is experienced enough to quickly find his form.

From my reading of the situation the club has been very cautious with players returning from ACLs and it would be 12 months minimum

He could be back for the start of the reserves comp depending on recovery so rd 4-8 return to AFL if things go according to plan

I am unsure on the clubs approach with Buntine, 8 games this year and he is not AFL quality but as a leader in the reserves he could play as a onfield coach and mentor to the younger players and for the salary he would be on it adds a way to have another coach without effecting the soft cap, it would be him or Reid for this position imo as the club should play Stone and Bruhn over Reid next season

From my reading of the situation the club has been very cautious with players returning from ACLs and it would be 12 months minimum

He could be back for the start of the reserves comp depending on recovery so rd 4-8 return to AFL if things go according to plan

I am unsure on the clubs approach with Buntine, 8 games this year and he is not AFL quality but as a leader in the reserves he could play as a onfield coach and mentor to the younger players and for the salary he would be on it adds a way to have another coach without effecting the soft cap, it would be him or Reid for this position imo as the club should play Stone and Bruhn over Reid next season
What is Buntines on field leadership actually like? I can't recall the last time I was at a game he was playing in to actually notice it, but if it's not exceptional I don't see the purpose of it. If we're being real, unless the off season does him a world of good Davis isn't a 22 game a year player anymore so he should be playing more reserves than previously and could be that on field coach in that regard

What is Buntines on field leadership actually like? I can't recall the last time I was at a game he was playing in to actually notice it, but if it's not exceptional I don't see the purpose of it. If we're being real, unless the off season does him a world of good Davis isn't a 22 game a year player anymore so he should be playing more reserves than previously and could be that on field coach in that regard

I remember it has always been talked about from early on in his career and he does seem to play well in reserves and organises the defence

Davis will be needed next year but hopefully they dont need to go with a Keefe Davis partnership as mobility will be easily exploited

I see the best defensive line up

Perryman Taylor Haynes
Cumming Buckley Idun

Davis/Keefe/Stein/Whitfield/Ash/Kennedy/Peatling filling in as needed

Article on ruck prospect Driscoll

Sounds a chance but depending on list spots and the "protected talls' list

And not sure on the prospects for Watts

They always talk it up, even in the early days.
But hard thing to assess from.afar.

From what I've seen there'd be nothing wrong with rookie listing Driscoll for the year as a 'break glass in case of emergency' option and then going Madden in next years draft, but I agree with your worry of not just Preuss but Flynn as well being injury prone

That also what worries me ie "Preuss & Flynn" if Preuss can get his body right he is a ripping bloke, heart the size of a whale and has been well schooled by Goldstein & Gawn. He just needs a huge pre-season and a huge amount of support and confidence he can do it.

I actually think we might pursue a forward/ruck option at the right price but we may have to be creative. Lobb? dare I say it?

Some profiles for those linked to the club courtesy of draft central

#3 Finn Callaghan
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro | Balanced Midfielder
26/04/2003 | 189cm | 82kg

August Ranking:

Snapshot: Callaghan is a classy mover with great agility for his size, and has shown a high level of development to prove his balance of outside and inside traits.

One who seems destined to crack the top five picks come year’s end, Callaghan has enjoyed a substantial rise in stocks in the first half of 2021. The flying wingman/half-back has recently transitioned to an inside role, but continues to prove difficult to stop at full flight with his blend of straight-line power and swift agility. While he is working on becoming more outwardly damaging with his disposal, the 18-year-old is quite a clean user of the ball by hand and foot. He is capable of gaining good meterage on the outer with speed and his clean kicking, and seems to manufacture time on the ball in the clinches.

Last month:

While there ended up being no football for Victoria’s metropolitan regions, Callaghan was arguably set for a pretty steady August in any case. The smooth mover was due to return from a foot injury which kept him from representative honours in July, but can now rest up ahead of the combine.

#6 Josh Gibcus
GWV Rebels/Vic Country | Tall Defender
4/04/2003 | 195cm | 84kg

August Ranking:

Snapshot: An intercept marking defender who reads the play well and has a sizeable leap, Gibcus’ eye-catching form has propelled him into top 10 calculations.

Once again, Gibcus is the second tall prospect on our list and has earned his spot with superb form this year. The Greater Western Victoria (GWV) defender is an intercept type who uses his strengths to advantage; reading the play beautifully and timing his movements to float onto the scene, before rising with his springy vertical leap to take series of marks and force turnovers. While he is working on his ground level game, Gibcus is so clean in the air and usually a sound distributor across the last line, showing great composure on the ball. He was one of the many AFL Academy call-ups and truly held his own in that fixture, as he continues to improve at a great rate.

Last month:

Like Hobbs, Gibcus got on the park for a couple more appearances in GWV colours. He was also consistent in his output, managing 12 and 13 disposals in the respective losses, while also rising for three marks in both games. The tall talent may be quiet at times, but has terrific upside and some eye-catching strengths across the backline.

#14 Jye Amiss
East Perth/Western Australia | Tall Forward
31/07/2003 | 195cm | 85kg

August Ranking:

Snapshot:

You’ll hear plenty of puns regarding the key forward’s ironic surname but it’s true that Amiss is more hit than, well, miss. The East Perth spearhead has dominated the 2021 WAFL Colts season thus far, booting 51 goals in 13 games with a ridiculously good conversion rate of 78 per cent from his scoring shots. He proved undeniable for selection in a West Australian state squad stacked with key position talent, and doesn’t need a wealth of opportunities to make an impact. With sound overhead marking and an improving ground level game, Amiss is an irresistible threat inside attacking 50. He bolted into our rankings with a debut inside the top 20, and makes another move having excelled on the big stage.

Last month:

Amiss has skyrocketed into top 15 contention over the last two months, with his latest patch of form only consolidating said status. He started out with 18 disposals, 11 marks and six goals against the bottom WAFL Colts side after starring in state trials, before snaring two goals on each side of his National Championships outing. As WA’s spearhead, Amiss snared two goals and passed off some gettable opportunities in a terrific display where he constantly found separation on the lead, marked cleanly overhead, and kicked a highlight reel goal.

#16 Campbell Chesser
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Country | Outside Midfielder/Defender
27/04/2003 | 186cm | 83kg

August Ranking:

Snapshot: A speedy and productive mover on the outside, Chesser breaks the lines from half-back or the wing but has also shown a good balance in his ball winning.

A third Sandringham Dragons prospect in the top 20, Chesser also lays claim to damaging outside traits – weaponising his run-and-carry and use by foot. While he hails from Lavington, in Murray’s region, the 18-year-old boards at Melbourne Grammar and thus turns out for the Dragons. He is another of his age group who had NAB League experience under his belt prior to 2021, and has stayed true in terms of position to impact off the wing and half-back line. Chesser had only just cracked Sandringham’s stacked midfield in a bid to showcase his balance, having lacked continuity while battling a knee injury earlier in his campaign.

Last month:

Another who was primed to impress in the back-end of the year, Chesser did not get the chance to prove his worth given the lack of APS and metropolitan NAB League football. He already missed a chunk of time earlier in the year having undergone knee surgery, but will be preparing for the Draft Combine.

#23 Josh Fahey
GWS GIANTS Academy/Allies | Medium Defender
11/11/2003 | 186cm | 76kg

August Ranking:

Snapshot: A run-and-gun rebounding defender who gives his all and boasts a raking left-foot kick, Fahey is arguably this year’s leading Northern Academy talent.

Our top-ranked Northern Academy prospect in 2021, Fahey is clearly the best prospect out of the Allies crop and a real top 25 round contender. He returned to the GWS GIANTS Academy program this year to confirm his eligibility as an academy product, having previously shifted to Queensland and joined forces with the Gold Coast SUNS Academy. The Queanbeyan native has impressed onlookers across both states with his dash out of defence and penetrative kicking, both damaging weapons for a player of his position. He has earned a VFL berth with the GIANTS and was named best afield in April’s AFL Academy showcase against Geelong VFL.

Last month:

The sole NSW-ACT representative on this list, Fahey has also been impacted by lockdown over the last month but managed to sneak in a senior game. He turned out for local, AFL Canberra First Grade outfit, Queanbeyan on August 7 and produced the goods. Fahey snared three goals and was among the Tigers’ best players in a 129-point win over Gungahlin. Opportunities continue to prove scarce though, unfortunately.

#30 Jacob van Rooyen
Claremont/Western Australia | Tall Forward/Defender
16/04/2003 | 194cm | 88kg

August Ranking:
NR

Snapshot: van Rooyen is a tall forward who presents well with strong hands and a booming kick, but has also shown great potential as a swingman and even in midfield.

Having been earmarked as potentially Western Australia’s best tall prospect coming into the season, van Rooyen has overcome some adversity en route to recapturing his best form. He was part of Claremont’s WAFL Colts side which went down in last season’s Grand Final, booting 19 goals in 10 games as a bottom-ager. He donned the Black Ducks jersey in 2020’s West Australian All Stars fixtures and was a lock for the AFL Academy intake in 2021. A glandular fever diagnosis halted his progress a touch, but van Rooyen started out the season at League level and has shown he is physically a level above the Colts grade.

Last month:

van Rooyen was in serious form heading into last week’s National Championships showcase, booting 11.5 from a combined 44 disposals and 16 marks in two WAFL Colts appearances. Having starred in his usual forward post with all the physicality expected of him, van Rooyen translated that form to a defensive swing for WA’s Under 19 side. He was exceptional against South Australia, helping out on the last line and popping up as an aerial force to clunk multiple intercept marks. He was more steady with seven touches and two goals in his latest Colts dig, but has proven his swingman credentials.

That also what worries me ie "Preuss & Flynn" if Preuss can get his body right he is a ripping bloke, heart the size of a whale and has been well schooled by Goldstein & Gawn. He just needs a huge pre-season and a huge amount of support and confidence he can do it.

I actually think we might pursue a forward/ruck option at the right price but we may have to be creative. Lobb? dare I say it?
Lobb’s on too much money .... 700,000 if the word on the street is correct.

Would people prefer with our first 2 picks

1. Callaghan/van rooyen

OR

2. Gibcus/chesser

With Fahey to come as well. Both look like great options, but probably option 1 with Callaghan just pips it for me.

Last edited:
Would people prefer with pur first 2 picks

1. Callaghan/van rooyen

OR

2. Gibcus/chesser

With Fahey to come as well. Both look like great options, but probably option 1 with Callaghan just pips it for me.
I'd take Bazzo or Leek Aller over Van Rooyen for us personally

1. Callaghan/van rooyen

OR

2. Gibcus/chesser

My thoughts flip-flop regularly, but currently I'd tend to go Callaghan/JVR from those options. Callaghan is considered above the next tier of kids (not that it means much once they get into clubs), but should be able to add to our midfield variety. Then we should look at who's available as a tall in that next crop.

#13 (or #15 as it will become) would be likely too late for Josh Gibcus & Jye Amiss but probably too early for most of the rest of them - perhaps Mac Andrew if not taken by then perhaps as a versatile choice. JVR would give some versatility to plug KPF or KPD holes.

I'd take Bazzo or Leek Aller over Van Rooyen for us personally

Since you're our resident draft expert, what's your knock on JVR? He seems to feature higher in some draft watchers' thinking than Bazzo & Alleer.

1. Callaghan/van rooyen

OR

2. Gibcus/chesser

Option 1. You don’t need to use high draft picks to get a high quality key back. Take Callaghan and best available KPP with our natural pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since you're our resident draft expert, what's your knock on JVR? He seems to feature higher in some draft watchers' thinking than Bazzo & Alleer.
General lack of athleticism mainly, I think he'll end up an AFL quality player, but Bazzo and Alleer have more tools to turn into better players imo, especially with those two being predominantly defenders

My thoughts flip-flop regularly, but currently I'd tend to go Callaghan/JVR from those options. Callaghan is considered above the next tier of kids (not that it means much once they get into clubs), but should be able to add to our midfield variety. Then we should look at who's available as a tall in that next crop.

#13 (or #15 as it will become) would be likely too late for Josh Gibcus & Jye Amiss but probably too early for most of the rest of them - perhaps Mac Andrew if not taken by then perhaps as a versatile choice. JVR would give some versatility to plug KPF or KPD holes.

Mac Andrew is the one I think we should take if available at 13 (I don’t think he will be though)

Mac Andrew is the one I think we should take if available at 13 (I don’t think he will be though)
Yeah, hard to tell at this stage (and there will be some draft picks change hands before the night) who clubs will take. Given that a lot of players are perceived as even from that 5 to 20s range - or at least different clubs have different assessments - it's a lot of guessing at this stage.

Just musing about possible order:

1/2/3/4 - Horne-Francis, Daicos, Darcy & Callaghan (likely) in some order
5 - Suns: need ruck, KPF, KPD, so do they go Gibcus, or Andrew? Let's assume Gibcus
6 - Crows: need mids with class, suspect Erasmus fits them best
7 - Hawks: need balanced mids, are Ward & Hobbs too similar to what they've got, do they take Sonsie or Goater? Andrew an option if they want to develop a back-up ruck/forward.
8 - Freo (from Carlton, Cerra trade): if Erasmus is gone, they'll take Jye Amiss
9 - Richmond: Hobbs is probably the best of the mids left (won't take Andrew)
10 - Freo: suspect they'll take Matt Johnson if Erasmus was gone earlier
11 - Saints: really need a mid to help out Steele, perhaps Ward as the best inside/outside mid left
12 - Eagles: dip out on WA mids if Erasmus went to Crows - really don't know who they take now, but would take JVR before Andrew surely. Draper?
13 - Bombers: mids are well set, so are KPDs, perhaps a tall forward - JVR - or small forward, Draper, Rachele, or classy outside user Sinn, Sonsie or NW-M?
14 - Swans: depends on their player departures, don't really see Andrew as a likely choice; perhaps more of a risk they bid on Fahey here to replace Dawson (but hope not). Rachele maybe?

So I'd see Andrew as a chance to be there at #15, who I'd be content to take to see how we could develop him.

I'd probably want to get a young KPD somewhere though, so after matching on Fahey (or before, if he's not gone by mid-20s), see if we can trade back in using future picks to snaffle Rhett Bazzo, or Leek Alleer. (Schlensog could be an option, too, if he has to nominate for the draft and not just go DFA to the club of his choice.)

100% the kid has come along leaps and bounds this year. He was initially a Ruckman but his forward craft has improved out of sight. Plus in my opinion for a big bloke he moves across the ground quite well. If he is still there at 13 perfect, but I have the suspicion he might be gone by then.

100% the kid has come along leaps and bounds this year. He was initially a Ruckman but his forward craft has improved out of sight. Plus in my opinion for a big bloke he moves across the ground quite well. If he is still there at 13 perfect, but I have the suspicion he might be gone by then.
I agree with your thinking, but which clubs in your view might look at him?

Yeah, hard to tell at this stage (and there will be some draft picks change hands before the night) who clubs will take. Given that a lot of players are perceived as even from that 5 to 20s range - or at least different clubs have different assessments - it's a lot of guessing at this stage.

Just musing about possible order:

1/2/3/4 - Horne-Francis, Daicos, Darcy & Callaghan (likely) in some order
5 - Suns: need ruck, KPF, KPD, so do they go Gibcus, or Andrew? Let's assume Gibcus
6 - Crows: need mids with class, suspect Erasmus fits them best
7 - Hawks: need balanced mids, are Ward & Hobbs too similar to what they've got, do they take Sonsie or Goater? Andrew an option if they want to develop a back-up ruck/forward.
8 - Freo (from Carlton, Cerra trade): if Erasmus is gone, they'll take Jye Amiss
9 - Richmond: Hobbs is probably the best of the mids left (won't take Andrew)
10 - Freo: suspect they'll take Matt Johnson if Erasmus was gone earlier
11 - Saints: really need a mid to help out Steele, perhaps Ward as the best inside/outside mid left
12 - Eagles: dip out on WA mids if Erasmus went to Crows - really don't know who they take now, but would take JVR before Andrew surely. Draper?
13 - Bombers: mids are well set, so are KPDs, perhaps a tall forward - JVR - or small forward, Draper, Rachele, or classy outside user Sinn, Sonsie or NW-M?
14 - Swans: depends on their player departures, don't really see Andrew as a likely choice; perhaps more of a risk they bid on Fahey here to replace Dawson (but hope not). Rachele maybe?

So I'd see Andrew as a chance to be there at #15, who I'd be content to take to see how we could develop him.

I'd probably want to get a young KPD somewhere though, so after matching on Fahey (or before, if he's not gone by mid-20s), see if we can trade back in using future picks to snaffle Rhett Bazzo, or Leek Alleer. (Schlensog could be an option, too, if he has to nominate for the draft and not just go DFA to the club of his choice.)
Suns are pretty much guaranteed to take whoever of Horne-Francis, Callaghan or Gibcus are left on the board, the only other option that'd peak their interest is Hobbs. They're also actively looking to get to Pick 1 from my understanding.
For the crows it seems early signs point to Goater, Hawks in a similar way seem to be very into Sonsie (Mitchell very impressed with him when he was around Box Hill training and the game he played).

If I had to put early money on those first few picks it'd be;
1. North - Horne
2. Dogs - Darcy
3. Pies - Daicos
4. GIANTS - Callaghan
5. SUNS - Gibcus
6. Crows - Goater/ Hobbs
7. Hawks - Sonsie

then from there opens up, if Carlton keep that pick I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of Hobbs, Ward or Rachele

I agree with your thinking, but which clubs in your view might look at him?

IMHO because they have two picks - I think real interest starts at Tigers at 7 - its a stretch but I would do it knowing I have 15 up my sleeve to maybe upgrade on the night if a player started to drop they might want.

So I think we are actually at the bottom of the range with 13. I see his genuine range on the night 7-13.

Suns are pretty much guaranteed to take whoever of Horne-Francis, Callaghan or Gibcus are left on the board, the only other option that'd peak their interest is Hobbs. They're also actively looking to get to Pick 1 from my understanding.
For the crows it seems early signs point to Goater, Hawks in a similar way seem to be very into Sonsie (Mitchell very impressed with him when he was around Box Hill training and the game he played).

If I had to put early money on those first few picks it'd be;
1. North - Horne
2. Dogs - Darcy
3. Pies - Daicos
4. GIANTS - Callaghan
5. SUNS - Gibcus
6. Crows - Goater/ Hobbs
7. Hawks - Sonsie

then from there opens up, if Carlton keep that pick I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of Hobbs, Ward or Rachele
Im interested in why the suns would want to trade up to pick 1. Is it just because they have the draft capital to do it and would like the pick rather than multiple picks later on? Any idea how they get it done? It would need to be a VERY attractive deal to convince North to trade pick 1... they would be giving up Horne and their fans would be spewing.

Im interested in why the suns would want to trade up to pick 1. Is it just because they have the draft capital to do it and would like the pick rather than multiple picks later on? Any idea how they get it done? It would need to be a VERY attractive deal to convince North to trade pick 1... they would be giving up Horne and their fans would be spewing.

I cant see Gold coast trading up - the last thing they need is more "kids" with go home factor. They have said numerous times that pick is on the table for ready made AFL players that want to be on the Gold Coast (probably over paid to add to the attraction).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back