List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Clark is a WA boy and not getting opportunities.
No reason to pay overs to get him home.

The jury is still on whether Clark will be anything more than average, if that.

$400 000 for him is pie in the sky stuff.

FYI - Clark was re-signed by Geelong partway through his 1st year for an additional 2 years ( this and next season). Due to his performances during that 1st season, it is strongly rumoured that he would be paid 400k a year for years 3 & 4.

Im discussing the idea of us poaching a free agent or trading in a gun again. We wont lose anyone as the salary cap is in control somewhat. We may lose Rotham but id say thats opportunity based and not money based. Issue is we aint getting a salary cap increase, barring a miracle and without that we are not going to be trading or signing a free agent anytime soon. That is whats pushing the problem further down the road. We are not trading in any good players or free agents until 2025 when we have Kelly and Gaffs contracts clean so to speak.

Mate just stop.

We aren't trading in any good players until 2025?

What a load of trollop.

In two years time, end of the 2023 season we have Nic, Sheppard, Cripps, McGovern and Shuey who will be either retired or on much lower deals.

All are on very good money, some on extremely good money. And none of them will be getting paid what they are now.

JK and Hurn also gone.

Take all those players out who gets the coin in 2024? Answer us that one Batman?

Brady Hough 22 possessions, 9 marks, 5 inside 50s and a goal on league debut last week. Anyone got more information on him? Style? Comparisons?
Handy player, very versatile. Seen him play half back, wing and half forward and perform well in each.
It's pronounced Hoff, and honestly think Westhoff is not a bad comparison. Tall, skinny and just knows how to keep finding the footy. He's not the one you walk away going omg he's a jet, more a consistent performer who you walk away saying he had a decent game.
Thought he looked best on a wing or half forward, good overhead and finding space to be an option. Skills are ok.
But when an u18 produces numbers like that at senior level you take notice.

MJ played reserves and had 23 disposals and a goal.
Van Rooyen kicked 3 for Claremont and Sheldrick was BOG with 24 disposals, 12 tackles and a goal vs Dittmar and Tunstill.

Im discussing the idea of us poaching a free agent or trading in a gun again. We wont lose anyone as the salary cap is in control somewhat. We may lose Rotham but id say thats opportunity based and not money based. Issue is we aint getting a salary cap increase, barring a miracle and without that we are not going to be trading or signing a free agent anytime soon. That is whats pushing the problem further down the road. We are not trading in any good players or free agents until 2025 when we have Kelly and Gaffs contracts clean so to speak.

You were saying we couldn't afford a $400k pa player.

Now its a gun FA we can't trade in? (Pretty bloody obvious)

You are 'moving the goal posts' somewhat. And aren't that good with numbers or time. You wouldn't have previously worked for Collingwood in salary cap management would you?

Mate just stop.

We aren't trading in any good players until 2025?

What a load of trollop.

In two years time, end of the 2023 season we have Nic, Sheppard, Cripps, McGovern and Shuey who will be either retired or on much lower deals.

All are on very good money, some on extremely good money. And none of them will be getting paid what they are now.

JK and Hurn also gone.

Take all those players out who gets the coin in 2024? Answer us that one Batman?

Ive said we backended Gaff and Kellys deals? Kelly on huge coin going forward. No team carries 3 players on 800k+. Wont work. About the below

Sheppard is on a very low wage for his ability. He will get what he gets now
McGovern contract is already eaten up
Nic will get what he gets now
Cripps will get a paycut but not ground breaking
Shuey will get a new deal too but Im predicting that his increase gets eaten by Barass who deserves 600k+ a year

We have backended deals to keep space clear to get Kelly when we did. Remember in 2018 when we had a good list that needed money? That money came from somewhere and it came from the future

You were saying we couldn't afford a $400k pa player.

Now its a gun FA we can't trade in? (Pretty bloody obvious)

You are 'moving the goal posts' somewhat. And aren't that good with numbers or time. You wouldn't have previously worked for Collingwood in salary cap management would you?

To be clear, we cant afford anyone above 400kPA in the next 4 years to waltz in as a big signing. We have got our big signing already. Problem is he isnt as big as he should be

Ive said we backended Gaff and Kellys deals? Kelly on huge coin going forward. No team carries 3 players on 800k+. Wont work. About the below

Sheppard is on a very low wage for his ability. He will get what he gets now
McGovern contract is already eaten up
Nic will get what he gets now
Cripps will get a paycut but not ground breaking
Shuey will get a new deal too but Im predicting that his increase gets eaten by Barass who deserves 600k+ a year

We have backended deals to keep space clear to get Kelly when we did. Remember in 2018 when we had a good list that needed money? That money came from somewhere and it came from the future

The only way you would know any of this is if you are at the club reading the contracts.

And if you are then you should be sacked for coming on here spilling your guts.

I'm guessing you are guessing. Like 99% of people on here.

The only way you would know any of this is if you are at the club reading the contracts.

And if you are then you should be sacked for coming on here spilling your guts.

I'm guessing you are guessing. Like 99% of people on here.

I know a few of those for fact

Kellys insane contract
Sheppard on a low deal for his ability
Gaffs backended deal (very public knowledge this)

Rest is common sense and I dont need to be told any of it, Nics contract is public knowledge as was Cripps. Barass getting 600k+ is me taking a guess but its a fair one to make. Surely he gets that?

Ill just state this one last time

Tim Kelly has a horrible club crushing contract. Stop underestimating how much he is on. He is a top 5 paid player in the entire league over the course of the deal and its about to come mindblowing now he is past the front of it. Its the same impact of Buddys deal, but we have the ability to juggle it better and not lose players thankfully. All it means is we are stuck with what we have for a long time

FYI - Clark was re-signed by Geelong partway through his 1st year for an additional 2 years ( this and next season). Due to his performances during that 1st season, it is strongly rumoured that he would be paid 400k a year for years 3 & 4.
If in fact he is on $400 000, I hope the club passes.
Nowhere near worth it IMO.

Tim Kelly has a horrible club crushing contract. Stop underestimating how much he is on. He is a top 5 paid player in the entire league over the course of the deal and its about to come mindblowing now he is past the front of it. Its the same impact of Buddys deal, but we have the ability to juggle it better and not lose players thankfully. All it means is we are stuck with what we have for a long time
If I remember correctly Kelly was reported to have taken less than what Geelong offered to try keep him .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you think Barrass is worth $600k! Alex Keith is a better full back than Tom.

Tom is king of the marking capability but he is not close to being elite as a full KPD.

Unpopular opinion for a Monday morning:

I think its time Kennedy and Hurn both got the tap on the shoulder im afraid. Have absolutely loved watching them over the years, but lets be real: we arent challenging next year and they wont be apart of the next premiership push.

Lets get some kids in and work on a new gameplan over the next 2-3 years.

A long time.............

Oh well better fold the club then.......

Do you agree that to attract talent you have to pay for it?

Because if we aren't willing to pay for it others will.

Its called matching the market.

And to attract talent that is above average you pay..........guess what...... above average contracts.

And to people posting that established fringe players who have been in the system for years play for minimum wages $80-$90k, IMO that is fanciful.
100% you have to match the market if you want a player.

But I wouldn't pay $1.5m for buddy in the same way that I wouldn't pay $400k for Clark.

I think we can spend our $400k better elsewhere (even if that is on our current underperformed players).

$400k would be top 30-40% of the list territory. For a guy that isn't currently b22 at his club and quite possibly wouldn't be at ours (could also turn out to be a gun, but likelihood is that he doesn't). Alternatively we can get a draftee at $90k who might have a similar chance of making it...

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unpopular opinion for a Monday morning:

I think its time Kennedy and Hurn both got the tap on the shoulder im afraid. Have absolutely loved watching them over the years, but lets be real: we arent challenging next year and they wont be apart of the next premiership push.

Lets get some kids in and work on a new gameplan over the next 2-3 years.

The club and Simpson in particular firmly believes the window is still open and they are going to make one more push at it next year.
My expectations for 2022 will be continued faith in the senior underperforming players, little game time into the younger players other than a fill in type role. Only minor adjustments to the game plan as Simmo still thinks it works.

I have no doubt kelly is on a fair bit but he had 2 fantastic years at Geelong and earned it.
He's come into a different set up with high expectations and basically every other midfielder underperforming.
He'll show his worth over the next few years as more of the veterans retire especially as we seem unable to draft/develop midfielders .
And kelly will definitely benefit if and when we change our game plan
As for the draft hopefully we go best mid available with our first..hobbs,ward,johnson,erasmus
Dittmar with our second
Sheldrick or warner next
Cripps at some stage later in.the draft

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The club and Simpson in particular firmly believes the window is still open and they are going to make one more push at it next year.
What's your opinion on that GWS?

I think it's codswallop and Simpson could be working himself into an early exit from the club. Maybe he feels pressured to do so given the supposed mega-contract Kelly is on?

What's your opinion on that GWS?

I think it's codswallop and Simpson could be working himself into an early exit from the club. Maybe he feels pressured to do so given the supposed mega-contract Kelly is on?

Firstly I think the only reason that Simmo is still the coach is because of the early contract signed. I have no doubt the club regrets doing this now.
Simmo will firmly believe in his game plan and it is difficult for some coaches to change it. What we are hearing at this point is the club is after new assistants, is this because the club wants assistants to challenge him and stand up against him? Has Simmo not had assistants that challenge him?

Do i think we can still win a flag with this group? 98% of me says definitly not, but a change of game plan and more importantly a change of hunger and drive by the players can see radical change sometimes.

Codswallop though is about right mate.

100% you have to match the market if you want a player.

But I wouldn't pay $1.5m for buddy in the same way that I wouldn't pay $400k for Clark.

I think we can spend our $400k better elsewhere (even if that is on our current underperformed players).

$400k would be top 30-40% of the list territory. For a guy that isn't currently b22 at his club and quite possibly wouldn't be at ours (could also turn out to be a gun, but likelihood is that he doesn't). Alternatively we can get a draftee at $90k who might have a similar chance of making it...

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The best players most likely to succeed come in the top 20 picks in the draft.

We normally only get 1 pick in the top 20.

So how does spending $80k on pick 58 give us the 'same chance of a player making it'? It doesn't.

In fact we could spend 4 x $80 k on players picked up in the 3rd round and none of them making it.

You want access to top 20 picks you pay by being crap and getting draft picks or with $$$.

The best players most likely to succeed come in the top 20 picks in the draft.

We normally only get 1 pick in the top 20.

So how does spending $80k on pick 58 give us the 'same chance of a player making it'? It doesn't.

In fact we could spend 4 x $80 k on players picked up in the 3rd round and none of them making it.

You want access to top 20 picks you pay by being crap and getting draft picks or with $$$.

Or shopping around some of your top end talent that probably won't be a part of your next flag push.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back