Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Kate on Netflix (starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Woody Harrelson).

It's tempting it to label it the poor man's (woman's?) John Wick but it really is a slick and stylish movie. Tokyo at night makes for such a great setting, and of course neon and thumping J-Pop is used prominently throughout. Importantly, decent acting, a compelling plot (in spite of the obvious plot hole issues when you're giving the protagonist 24 hours to live) and it's suitably restrained in terms of the action scenes, while still being well done. One of the better Netflix originals of recent times (not a hard bar to clear given the utter dross in the past couple of years).

8/10

Race

One of the few good movies I've seen on the SBS movie channel, it's about Jessie Owens who won 4 gold medals at the Berlin Olympics.

Most of us know that story but this film fleshes out the backstory of Owens and also how he became friends with Luz Long his German long jump rival.

k114otyauzf21.jpg

Kate (Netflix)

Was hypnotising how gorgeously shot the film was. Loved the neon cinematography. You would think after several John Wick films and imitations of late the action choreograph would be a bit stale but this was impressive and stylish.

I thought the battle pr0n was well done but otherwise it didn't have much going for it. There were too many characters spread thinly so there was little emotional engagement. You shouldn't need large captions telling you the character names in the next sequence.

Apart from brief bookend captions the movie didn't get into the rationale behind a US base being set up in a valley surrounded by enemy forces. The end credits turned into an honour-fest for the US soldiers in that battle but where was the reflection that it was a monumental fu** up? And that it was the US forces who were the invaders to Afghanistan? The recent withdrawal of US forces has emphasised what a waste of time, money and lives the whole exercise was.

Agreed on both counts, but such is the state of current American cinema. If you consider the Vietnam War produced some of the great anti-war movies of all time, such as The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Platoon and Full Metal Jacket (or even movies that deal with how broken veterans are on return to the US, such as Taxi Driver), it's especially disappointing now that the equally unpopular and twice as long modern wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have not led to the same, and generally are "America Rah-Rah" propaganda tales of brave soldiers up against it. At best you get something like The Hurt Locker, with a more "I killed lots of people but feel pretty bad about it" story. There've been some better books on the topic, but even like Nico Walker's excellent novel Cherry got smoothed out into a pretty standard, switch your brain off movie.

Matrix Trilogy

Matrix a week ago and 2/3 last night

Matrix holds up quite well and a lot of scenes I had forgotten . Setting up the idea of an existence determined by a simulation was new at the time and well received

2/3 try and follow that theme - sometimes getting it right - but it boils down to an actioner in defending a base against overwhelming odds

I liked the exploration of the God philosophy and the use of the Architect (from the Freemasons) was ok

The biggest take after previously watching Hunger Games series is how similar both franchises were - from Donald Sutherland styling his look after the Architect , overwhelming superiority defeated by hope in a messianistic leader and the philosophy that hope must be controlled otherwise fear will win - all (to me) very similar themes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rewatched one of my favourite movies, Demolition (2015). Jake Gyllenhaal is fantastic as a guy who starts to take everything in his life apart (literally and metaphorically) after the sudden death of his wife. Supporting actors Chris Cooper, Naomi Watts and Judah Lewis are also very good. So many great scenes. It's got a wistful feel like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. There's a great soundtrack too.

Rewatched one of my favourite movies, Demolition (2015). Jake Gyllenhaal is fantastic as a guy who starts to take everything in his life apart (literally and metaphorically) after the sudden death of his wife. Supporting actors Chris Cooper, Naomi Watts and Judah Lewis are also very good. So many great scenes. It's got a wistful feel like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. There's a great soundtrack too.

One of the best actors imo...Donnie Darko, Brokeback Mountain, Jar Head, Source Code, End of Watch, Spiderman: Far From Home I all enjoyed...

...but in Nightcrawler that was truly an acting masterclass. That role and character has stuck with me at just how effectively creepy he was.

The Voyeurs - Didn't find the story line overly gripping for a drama/thriller style film. In saying that Sydney Sweeney is quite attractive.

One of the best actors imo...Donnie Darko, Brokeback Mountain, Jar Head, Source Code, End of Watch, Spiderman: Far From Home I all enjoyed...

...but in Nightcrawler that was truly an acting masterclass. That role and character has stuck with me at just how effectively creepy he was.

He picks his scripts well, and some left field stuff in there, then delivers every time.

Just back to Demolition, how about this sequence?

Kate... serviceable action film in the Taken/John Wick genre, this time with Mary Elizabeth Winstead the girl kicking ass. Nothing groundbreaking and most of the developments are signposted, but location is good, soundtrack is good, and getting there is fine. 7/10.
Agree with this review - have to say, Winstead giving off some strong "Ripley" vibes.

Plus his performances in Southpaw and Stronger.

Rewatched Whiplash yesterday.

Miles Teller is amazing, first time around I was in awe of JK but this time Teller struck me. 9/10 film, it’s SOOOO uncomfortable pretty much the whole time.
Miles Teller being a good actor is a wierd one.

But he is.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back