• Aryna Sabalenka

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Iga Swiatek

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other (Women)

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So now we're judging by character and not his tennis ok... so should we list the amount of off court sh*t Novak has done? Including his selfishness and poor management during the entire Covid pandemic? What about his on court antics & questionable behaviour/sportsmanship? I can go on and on.

I get that Zverev hasn't been charged/found guilty of anything but what on earth is this post?

Of course people judge people on character. Everyone does it.

Apart from a brief run from Thiem a year and a bit ago, Danil has now confirmed he is the big star of the 'next gen' - should we even still call him, Thiem, Zverev and Tsitsipas the next gen? There are others even younger becoming to come through now. Anyway, a side point.

You can only defeat who you're drawn to meet, however Danil certainly benefitted from his run in this tournament. Nole had nothing left. It was very unlike Djokovic. The fatigue was apparent from the outset. Normally he has the mental fortitude to over come a first set sluggish start but not today. Danil is great to watch.

Does Nole still maintain his Slam aura? I think he does. It will take more than just one Slam final loss for this to suddenly disappear. Yes, Fedal and Zvem and Tsitsettini now know he can be beaten, but it's not by them.

Pretty devestated for Novak, even with all of his mental toughness this occassion was just too much for him and proved that he is in fact human.

Looking forward I think this could signal the big 3 era of tennis could be over now that next gen has finally beaten one of them in a slam final. Players like Medvedev and Zverev have closed the gap with Novak on hard courts, will be hard for Novak to win another AO or USO as he's only getting older.

I still think the gap between Novak and the field on grass is quite significant, as evidenced by Wimbledon being his easiest slam run of the 4 this year. If I had to guess I think Novak will get another couple of Wimbledons and another AO and finish on 23 slams.

I think Rafa has one more FO in him, but on hard courts in the last 2 years next gen has already surpassed him so I think he'll finish on 21. Fed is 40 years old and injured so he will finish at 20.

If Stosur had of beaten bloody Schiavone she would have had two slams at each venue.

Singles (1) - US Open 2011

Doubles (4) - US Open 2005, French Open 2006, Australian Open 2019, US Open 2021

Mixed Doubles (3) - Australian Open 2005, Wimbledon 2008, Wimbledon 2014

Pretty devestated for Novak, even with all of his mental toughness this occassion was just too much for him and proved that he is in fact human.

Looking forward I think this could signal the big 3 era of tennis could be over now that next gen has finally beaten one of them in a slam final. Players like Medvedev and Zverev have closed the gap with Novak on hard courts, will be hard for Novak to win another AO or USO as he's only getting older.

I still think the gap between Novak and the field on grass is quite significant, as evidenced by Wimbledon being his easiest slam run of the 4 this year. If I had to guess I think Novak will get another couple of Wimbledons and another AO and finish on 23 slams.

I think Rafa has one more FO in him, but on hard courts in the last 2 years next gen has already surpassed him so I think he'll finish on 21. Fed is 40 years old and injured so he will finish at 20.

I think this is about right, but I wouldn't rule out Rafa winning multiple more FOs, particularly if he completely stops trying to be an all-rounder in his twilight years and just focuses on clay.

The fact is, Nadal has only lost to two men at the FO, one of whom was a one-off 12 years ago, and the other he still overall dominates at the event and will soon be on the decline too. Until we actually see a next gen player beat him at the French, it's too early to assume age will erode his dominance at his pet event as quickly as other events, because the gap is still massive.

I think this is about right, but I wouldn't rule out Rafa winning multiple more FOs, particularly if he completely stops trying to be an all-rounder in his twilight years and just focuses on clay.

The fact is, Nadal has only lost to two men at the FO, one of whom was a one-off 12 years ago, and the other he still overall dominates at the event and will soon be on the decline too. Until we actually see a next gen player beat him at the French, it's too early to assume age will erode his dominance at his pet event as quickly as other events, because the gap is still massive.
Yeah definitely wouldn't be surprised if Nadal gets a couple more RG. The reason I've said only 1 is that I expect him to win next year at age 36. The years after though he will be 37, 38, 39, etc. - Tsitsipas has proved he can match it with the best on clay, I also expect Thiem to come back into slam contention on clay in the next year or 2.

Then again it's Nadal on clay - those words alone should strike fear into opponents.

Lol! Well thankfully, it was a straight set win for Medvedev

If Nole had to lose rather it be to Medvedev. Least it's not Zverev or some other plonk I can't stand.

wasn't all bad, Sabalenka lost so we all win anyway!

I'm not writing off Nole, and I'm definitely not writing him off on his home court - RLA.

Just taking the match simply at face value as Medvedev beating Djokovic, and ignoring the long and tough matches Nole had to endure in the QF/SF in comparison to Danil, is really simplifying this result. Yes, Medvedev and Tsitsipas in particular is starting to beat him in Masters events, but I'd still think Nole is short odds in Melbourne to get to 21. December off, refresh the batteries, it's the perfect lead up for him.

I'm not writing off Nole, and I'm definitely not writing him off on his home court - RLA.

Just taking the match simply at face value as Medvedev beating Djokovic, and ignoring the long and tough matches Nole had to endure in the QF/SF in comparison to Danil, is really simplifying this result. Yes, Medvedev and Tsitsipas in particular is starting to beat him in Masters events, but I'd still think Nole is short odds in Melbourne to get to 21. December off, refresh the batteries, it's the perfect lead up for him.

Agreed.

Djokovic will come back nice and fresh for the Australian Open and will be the rightful favourite given his record here.

There's another 12-18 months at least whereby he's a legitimate major threat.

Was cooked after stupidly going to the Olympics, I said it before and I will say it again chasing the Olympic medal was beyond stupid.

Signs were bad in early rounds, was losing sets all over the place and then almost flopped the match to midget Zverev

Meanwhile Medvedev got the draw of the Century and was fresh as a daisy.

I'm actually not as disappointed as I thought I'd be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was cooked after stupidly going to the Olympics, I said it before and I will say it again chasing the Olympic medal was beyond stupid.

Signs were bad in early rounds, was losing sets all over the place and then almost flopped the match to midget Zverev

Meanwhile Medvedev got the draw of the Century and was fresh as a daisy.

I'm actually not as disappointed as I thought I'd be.

Medvedev wasn’t great at the Olympics either to be fair. Heat exhaustion.

Tokyo would have taken a toll on all of them.

Medvedev wasn’t great at the Olympics either to be fair. Heat exhaustion.

Tokyo would have taken a toll on all of them.

Unlike Novak he went early at Wimbledon. Going deep into Wimbedon was the reason he should have pulled out. Barty has struggled for that reason too and she's only playing best of 3 sets!

Pretty sure #5 is not vaccinated either. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Tennis in general has a very low vax number think it's in the 25% range although that may have improved recently.

Australia's vaccine passport situation will be interesting for the AO, the top 4 players in the world are all unvaccinated.

Novak can host his own tournament and invite all the anti-vaxxers.

Fun times.

It would have a lot of the quality wouldn't it ? Novak, Medvedev, Tsitsipas and Zverev for starters... pretty sure Thiem also.

Quite a few of the top women are the same too. pretty sure only Barty and Halep are vaxxed in the top 10, but maybe that has changed lately

Back