Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Dated terribly for me,hardly listen to them anymore,need happy music and they are dark,usually listened to by the upper middle class who dress in op shop clothes.
Have to disagree.
OK Computer and The Bends are still as good to me as they were 20+ years ago.

Have to disagree.
OK Computer and The Bends are still as good to me as they were 20+ years ago.
I have both albums ,saw them perform OK
Computer live at Festering Hall.
I od on them in the 90’s but now only put them on rarely.

I have both albums ,saw them perform OK
Computer live at Festering Hall.
I od on them in the 90’s but now only put them on rarely.
So not really an ‘I don’t get it band’, more an ’I’ve moved on’ band. :)
Still don’t think you can say they’ve dated terribly.

OK Computer still sounds amazing 25 years later - actually sounds more modern each year.

The Bends sounds great, but also like it's stuck in 2000 (I get it was realised in 1995), with Coldplay, Keane, Travis et al. Great album, but seemed to spawn a hell of a lot of diet coke pop rock bands.

Amnesiac is probably the only album that sounds remotely dated to me, but again, I think that is more based around the kinds of artists they were borrowing from. Portishead, Nightmares On Wax. The perfect late night electro-jazz album. Life In A Glass House is a Top 10 Radiohead track.

I was watching a movie the other day and one of the characters called Led Zepplin "my I don't get it band". So who would be your "I don't get it" band. This is not from a genre you don't like. It's a band from a genre you usually do like but just don't get the appeal of this particular band. Mine would be Pink Floyd. I love rock music but have just never got the appeal of Pink Floyd.

Steely Dan

Have tried a bunch of times and friends whose music opinions I like and our tastes overlap strongly on lots of other bands love them

Maybe you have to be a musician to appreciate what they do?
I don't really get those two bands either, not that I mind their stuff.

Yet two songs which would be musts for me if I got stuck on the proverbial deserted island would be Us & Them and Do It Again. I could play those two songs on rotation all day, that's how much I love them.

So for me whilst I may not get bands/artists (or even a whole genre) I can generally still pick out songs from them that I really, really like.

Good country is great!
Bad country is ******* horrible. (Like any genre really)
I must admit I didn’t like it until a bit later in life, but there is some great stuff out there.
This is an example. The first song he ever wrote apparently.
I first heard it on the tv series ‘Ozark’ and just had to find it.
Yeah, his voice sounds very ‘country’ but such dark lyrics.

Thank you for posting this. Never heard his music before but I’m loving it; he was outstanding

OK Computer still sounds amazing 25 years later - actually sounds more modern each year.

The Bends sounds great, but also like it's stuck in 2000 (I get it was realised in 1995), with Coldplay, Keane, Travis et al. Great album, but seemed to spawn a hell of a lot of diet coke pop rock bands.

Amnesiac is probably the only album that sounds remotely dated to me, but again, I think that is more based around the kinds of artists they were borrowing from. Portishead, Nightmares On Wax. The perfect late night electro-jazz album. Life In A Glass House is a Top 10 Radiohead track.

I tried with Radiohead, Ok Computer had some moments, my mate told me The Bends was the best though. It bored the absolute s**t out of me, more than one listen too. I'm a metalhead though and I don't think many metalhead like Radiohead.

Not so much an artist, more a specific album.
Benji by Sun Kil Moon is painfully average yet everyone lost their s**t over it. Everything that's come after has been even worse but Ghosts and April are so far ahead it's not even funny. AFP and ATL weren't quite as good but still leaps and bounds ahead of that spoken-word dud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so much an artist, more a specific album.
Benji by Sun Kil Moon is painfully average yet everyone lost their sh*t over it. Everything that's come after has been even worse but Ghosts and April are so far ahead it's not even funny. AFP and ATL weren't quite as good but still leaps and bounds ahead of that spoken-word dud.

Ghosts of the Great Highway is a classic album, no bones. Has the unique effect that something like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot has of sounding nostalgic and important even the first time you listen to it. Underappreciated classic.

Benji was my gateway into SKM and I still love it. It's a bit dry in parts sure, but the opener and a couple of other select songs kill me. I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love would fit onto any album prior. Carrisa, Richard Ramirez Died of Natural Causes are great tunes. I can't recall the fanfare at the time because I only got into it years later, I'm assuming P4K loved it though? Fantano gave it a big score IIRC.

Didn't even realise Mark'd put out a bunch of mediocre albums since.

Last edited:
I'm hearing you on a lot of them but particularly Linkin Park. I did like the nu metal stuff but was never a fan of them, didn't even bother seeing them when they did a Soundwave years ago.

Linkin Park have a few decent tunes, but their music is pretty puerile. A lot of their lyrics are incredibly childish and almost High School Battle of The Bands standard, but I guess that was pretty much their demographic.

That 'shut up' middle eight in One Step Closer always made me laugh as a kid. Surely some label intervention on that one?

Crawling is a banger though.

RHCP, GNR, and Smashing Pumpkins are the ones that immediately came to mind, in that I don't just not care for them, but they all annoy the s**t out of me. Eminem has released plenty of dogshit music, but I even think his 'classics' are annoying.

The Drones, who have been mentioned in here, are one of my all-time favourite bands. Definitely my favourite Australian band.

Obligatory

tumblr_o16b84UgCx1qaezqco1_500.gifv

Ghosts of the Great Highway is a classic album, no bones. Has the unique effect that something like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot has of sounding nostalgic and important even the first time you listen to it. Underappreciated classic.

Benji was my gateway into SKM and I still love it. It's a bit dry in parts sure, but the opener and a couple of other select songs kill me. I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love would fit onto any album prior. Carrisa, Richard Ramirez Died of Natural Causes are great tunes. I can't recall the fanfare at the time because I only got into it years later, I'm assuming P4K loved it though? Fantano gave it a big score IIRC.

Didn't even realise Mark'd put out a bunch of mediocre albums since.

Mediocre is being extremely generous.

How did John Mayer get rich? I have never heard a song of his I liked.

I definitely understand why people don't really like John Mayer but he is an incredible guitar player. His 'Live in LA' concert is great, particularly the John Mayer Trio set which doesn't really have any of his more 'poppy' tracks but is more blues oriented. I do wish he had stuck down that path a bit more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back