Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't address any points either. The only thing you're suggesting is it'll be better which is just an empty promise. You might as well be a member of the local council or brad scott himself.

Naturally things can change but perhaps you should save the victory lap until it does. At the moment the only laps you're doing is at the park next door while a family is celebrating a first birthday under a gazebo...and the birthday cake ain't a North Melbourne one... :drunk:

Okey dokey, you can go back on ignore.

Why not?
If we want to continue to host games there we should have grandstand like punt road

instead of just sitting on the hill
I agree with you. It would be fantastic.

Our influence in this space appears like an afterthought, in the master planning. (although a master plan is just that, its not detailed)

Im just guessing (hoping), there is a deliberate reason as to why we "seem" so irrelevant to the development.
And that is, we get two purpose built AFL standard grounds, and some infrastructure to support spectators. Wihtout the outrage wed get from the Greenies, to stop it. Thats just specualtion on my part.

Last edited:

I agree with you. It would be fantastic.

Our influence in this space appears like an afterthought, in the master planning. (although a master plan is just that, its not detailed)

Im just guessing (hoping), there is a deliberate reason as to why we "seem" so irrelevant to the development.
And that is, we get two purpose built AFL standard grounds, and some infrastructure to support spectators. Wihtout the outrage wed get from the Greenies, to stop it. Thats just specualtion on my part.

The Greens. Give it a rest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm not sure what some people were expecting here. Wouldn't the second oval be pretty much for an additional training surface to cater for all our teams (and the community) and protect our main oval, which is exactly what the new plan will provide?

If we want expanded administration facilities and a pavilion etc to host games in the future, surely they would occur via expansion / upgrades to our existing facilities rather than all new at the second oval.

I just can't see this as anything but good news.

I'm not sure what some people were expecting here. Wouldn't the second oval be pretty much for an additional training surface to cater for all our teams (and the community) and protect our main oval, which is exactly what the new plan will provide?

If we want expanded administration facilities and a pavilion etc to host games in the future, surely they would occur via expansion / upgrades to our existing facilities rather than all new at the second oval.

It is good news. We’ll literally have a second oval. Don’t care what it took to achieve it. Anyone that thought it wouldn’t involve politics doesn’t understand where society is at.

I don't expect we will ever see a stadium built in the Arden precinct or games played for AFL premiership points at our traditional home but if this is anyone's goal, then without a doubt, the first step would require a second oval for training so that the matchday surface is preserved. The old suburban gluepots will never come back.

The current plan has a section outlining the changes made since releasing the first draft plan. Among them is:
“Updated the integrated stormwater management open space in Arden North to change its shape and serve as a sports oval during dry periods.”
Thanks Sonja!
DE97FB01-154F-40AC-9BF3-F54742D8248D.jpeg
Annnnnnnnd we get the bonus of subterranean water storage beneath the oval.

It is good news. We’ll literally have a second oval. Don’t care what it took to achieve it. Anyone that thought it wouldn’t involve politics doesn’t understand where society is at.

This. And it isn't the end of the process by any stretch of the imagination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The current plan has a section outlining the changes made since releasing the first draft plan. Among them is:
“Updated the integrated stormwater management open space in Arden North to change its shape and serve as a sports oval during dry periods.”
Thanks Sonja!
View attachment 1234810
Annnnnnnnd we get the bonus of subterranean water storage beneath the oval.
I can't wait to see Caro's face when we find oil underneath. Make it happen Heath Younies.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% correct. Keep in mind we already have the cash for the expansion of the admin. facilities. Rooms etc for the womens teams, extra admin etc. Thats all in the bag already.

I can't wait to see Caro's face when we find oil underneath. Make it happen Heath Younies.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Going by the types that were around back in the day, like my boys the crutchy push they won’t find oil buried underneath but….. hmmmmm…. Maybe this isn’t a good idea after all

You ever contribute more then a few words?

MP STATE and Federal seat of Melbourne GREENS.

It's not just the Green politicians or voters whose affiliations fall in that direction. It's the local resident NIMBYs who have held up developments in the past for their own reasons, but who would be drawn to the promise of doubling public open space right on their doorstep. Especially when they know that high-rise apartment blocks are inevitable all around them. These people are the ones who will respond to this final proposal and the consultation process. It's very important that the draft proposal appeals to them and works for the community and doesn't just look like a land grab by one vested interest (the football club).

That's a pretty big leap. There is zero indication that we will be able to use that oval. Fair enough if it was connected but it is separated by a road. It will be a community oval. It's needed so we can use our own and the locals can use the new one to do as they please.

We'd be a hit with the local community if we have a "do not use this oval" and then occupy the new one during certain times of the week. That'd go down well with those that don't like football or North Melbourne :drunk:

It's not just the Green politicians or voters whose affiliations fall in that direction. It's the local resident NIMBYs who have held up developments in the past for their own reasons, but who would be drawn to the promise of doubling public open space right on their doorstep. Especially when they know that high-rise apartment blocks are inevitable all around them. These people are the ones who will respond to this final proposal and the consultation process. It's very important that the draft proposal appeals to them and works for the community and doesn't just look like a land grab by one vested interest (the football club).

I have had direct experience of this - I was involved in local footy club and we were asking for a footy ground on Royal Park (which is chronically under utilised and has no native vegetation left - other than stuff that has been replanted) - the Parkville Resident's Association treated it as if we were proposing a toxic fuel dump there. I went to a town hall and was literally booed when I said that an oval is mixed use because people don't play footy or cricket all the time. Some are not parents but the ones that are think footy is "thuggish and violent" and enrol their kids into a contemporary clowning workshop - I am the biggest inner city lefty w***er there is but I ******* hate these pricks

I have had direct experience of this - I was involved in local footy club and we were asking for a footy ground on Royal Park (which is chronically under utilised and has no native vegetation left - other than stuff that has replanted) - the Parkville Resident's Association treated it as if we were proposing a toxic fuel dump there. I went to a town hall and was booed when I said that an oval is mixed use because people don't play footy or cricket all the time. Some are not parents but the ones that are think footy is "thuggish and violent" and enrol their kids into a contemporary clowning workshop.

Hopefully the COVID outbreak at Fitzroy Community School puts a few of these out of commission for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back