Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s amazing how you can bend stats to suit an argument.

I’ve been reliably told that Simpson’s run of six straight finals campaigns is meaningless because he didn’t make enough prelims, and thousands of professional athletes all say making prelims is the true measure of success.

Now Geelong who’ve made prelims more often than not over the past decade aren’t a successful club because they haven’t got enough flags in that time.

It’s almost as if people start with the position they want to argue and then work backwards from there.
Personally, and I might be a bit ruthless here, but "making finals" does nothing for me. Its just something you can sell to the general public for more memberships. I want to win the whole lot rather than end up losing an elimination or semi final from time to time.

It’s amazing how you can bend stats to suit an argument.

I’ve been reliably told that Simpson’s run of six straight finals campaigns is meaningless because he didn’t make enough prelims, and thousands of professional athletes all say making prelims is the true measure of success.

Now Geelong who’ve made prelims more often than not over the past decade aren’t a successful club because they haven’t got enough flags in that time.

It’s almost as if people start with the position they want to argue and then work backwards from there.

It is all in the eye of the beholder. What you deem success may not be what I deem success. See if I followed the St Kilda football club then I would say making the finals is a success every time we do it.
The WCE on the other hand have since the day they started set a much higher bar. When you make the finals for the first time in your rebuild then that is a success. But if you climb the mountain and set the std for the league and then put the cue in the rack with almost the same list or better over the next 3 years then that is a stunning fail.
Geelong put themselves in contention to win the flag a lot. Hard not to admire that. When we put ourselves in contention our strike rate in winning it is good., we don't however put ourselves in contention that much considering the lists we have had. I don't know why that is?

You are correct that people make their mind up and change their mind almost daily. No one was mentioning just how good Melbourne and the Bulldogs were two weeks ago, they both put in awesome performances and get in the GF and now they are the two greatest sides ever. It's just the modern way.

I hope our muppet coaching panel has recognised that all the clubs that play the slow, controlled, kick it backwards style of footy, were eliminated this weekend by clubs who play a fast moving & ground ball wining game style.
I mean Richmond only won the flag 3 times out of the last four years with it, so why would we take notice? 🤷‍♂️😂

I hope our muppet coaching panel has recognised that all the clubs that play the slow, controlled, kick it backwards style of footy, were eliminated this weekend by clubs who play a fast moving & ground ball wining game style.
I mean Richmond only won the flag 3 times out of the last four years with it, so why would we take notice? 🤷‍♂️😂
Whats our best odds at a change? We don't have a lot of pace for that high pressure game, slingshot footy or even the ability to break the lines once in a while :'(.
Moving the magnets around-
Petrucelle off half back, Cole can go for a run sometimes, let Sheppard play sole lockdown
Shuey to a fwd flank
Nelson defensive through the midfield
Rotham to a wing
???

If only we could corall corall better, it will be revolutionary :p

As the WC coaches and players watch the finals and the game style of the winning teams, what must play through their minds with 2022 ahead?
Do players have much input into game plans and strategy, is it a 2 way street?
Will our coaches watch the GF and think yep, no probs, we stick to what we know best and get a full preseason into them and we'll be good?
Presuming they can't just convert a whole set playing list into a fast gut-running team, that they'll have to adapt and improvise with what they have and tweak n' tune where they can?
But would love to know what's going through their minds watching the GF?

Perhaps we need to tailor a gameplan that works to our strengths combined with some new tactics? Simmo's done it before.
Something something pyke and mitchell

Personally, and I might be a bit ruthless here, but "making finals" does nothing for me. Its just something you can sell to the general public for more memberships. I want to win the whole lot rather than end up losing an elimination or semi final from time to time.

The aim should be a flag every decade, so we are a tick in that department. Barring that when you have a good team it should be to maximise that window. The sad reality is that we should have won more in the Judd, Cousins, Kerr and Cox era vs the current mob.

One minute posters are all in :

“ we need new ideas, new perspectives and a refresh in the coaching box - make it ******* happen “

Next minute:

“ oh f*** him he’s not the new assistant I wanted “

Club seems damed if they don’t make changes and damed if they do ..... can’t please all the peeps all the time.

I for one welcome fresh ideas ..... particularly from an assistant thats come from a team thats often picked our game plan apart.

Schofield and Knights would be good gets IMO, don’t care if one or both are - as alleged - hard arsed as there seems to be more than enough warm fuzzy types already at the Club.

Sometimes in life in order to be successful and get ahead you need a bit of a-hole and James Hunt in your personality.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Confirmed. Knights and Schofield announced appointments

Knights taking the midfield and Schofield taking “stoppages and strategy”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back