Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Some posters past and present have a lot of egg on their faces (again) right now.

But but but... the AFLW team will be the death of this club, and Sonya Hood is a rubbish board pick who can't get us any good future plans for the Arden St redevelopment!

The updated plans are a big step in the right direction, after a disappointing initial iteration, and the NMFC and media messaging is promising too. More water to go under the bridge, or more accurately the second oval, so I'm not going to be popping the bubbly just yet because things can still change for the better or worse. If that makes me a Debby Downer so be it. Great day for the club nonetheless!

Very intrigued to see more details about the other features mentioned in the Fox Footy article (sports science centre in particular has me intrigued and excited), and also echo the sentiments of wanting to see Caro's reaction to some of our "North is Arden, Arden is North" rhetoric.

The updated plans are a big step in the right direction, after a disappointing initial iteration, and the NMFC and media messaging is promising too. More water to go under the bridge, or more accurately the second oval, so I'm not going to be popping the bubbly just yet because things can still change for the better or worse. If that makes me a Debby Downer so be it. Great day for the club nonetheless!

Very intrigued to see more details about the other features mentioned in the Fox Footy article (sports science centre in particular has me intrigued and excited), and also echo the sentiments of wanting to see Caro's reaction to some of our "North is Arden, Arden is North" rhetoric.

The biggest problem with our old precinct is that we were boxed in and wasn't much scope to do anything, the redevelopment gives us the capacity to have a much bigger precinct.

OK - unignored!

But seriously, people/posters have attacked and bagged and smeared a good friend of mine who, along with many others, has worked their guts out for this club to deliver this today. They've done it for years, bagging her qualifications, her intentions, everything. Nasty awful personal crap.

Even today we saw sniping naysayers and doom merchants talking this down. There's even worse happening on other social media platforms.

No more tolerance for these losers. They're wrong. They're always wrong. They were wrong about little things like the VFL side being canned for the W team and they're wrong about huge things like this.

I can't be stuffed with their bullshit for another second.

The club is heading to great places, on and off field. This work - if followed through - means that we're free forever of relocation bullshit.

If people don't want to be part of that for whatever reason, that's their call, but I'm not going to listen to their sh*t for another second.

They were wrong. They can either cop it sweet and come on board, or they can fu** off.

tumblr_64e6f8b5e4c2b56a565a508abfa36356_af872261_500.gif

North Melbourne Football Club is going nowhere anytime soon.

The Kangaroos are set to cement themselves in Victoria for decades to come after state of the art plans for an Arden Street redevelopment moved a large step closer to reality.

Foxfooty.com.au can reveal a new multipurpose oval, a sports medicine innovation & research centre, a high performance training centre and a functioning and conferencing centre form part of the expansive multimillion-dollar project, which now has a skeleton framework.

A community indoor sports centre is also part of the proposal, strengthening the club’s presence in the area and reaffirming its commitment to remain in traditional heartland.

Sources said North Melbourne’s facilities will be upgraded in line with the best football clubs in the AFL, making the Roos a more attractive destination for prospective players and coaches.

The secondary oval will be used for more than the club’s men’s football program and likely other community sports too.

While formal sign-off may not occur until midway through next year, the process has accelerated in recent weeks, filling North Melbourne with optimism.

On Monday the Victorian Planning Authority released the Arden Structure Plan and draft amendment to the Mebourne Planning Scheme, with a map of the 46-hectare precinct.

North Melbourne will feature in the highlighted section of the Arden precinct.
North Melbourne will feature in the highlighted section of the Arden precinct.
Source: FOX SPORTS
Engage Victoria posted structure plans to its website on Monday morning, including three PDF documents with more details descriptions.

The new infrastructure follows the commencement of construction of Arden Railway Station in 2018 and state government plans to build 40-storey high rises along the rail line and multiple other buildings between 20 and 35 storeys next to the footy club.

In August, final designs for a 15,000-resident inner city precinct next to Arden Station and the football club were approved by the Andrews government.

But the latest plans, which have been confirmed to North Melbourne, will give a huge boost to the Kangaroos across all elements of the club.

The bold initiative solidifies the club’s base and is part of a long-term plan to keep North Melbourne in Victoria, just 3km from Melbourne’s CBD. It also reaffirms CEO Ben Amarfo’s pledge to reject a relocation to Tasmania.

A look at where construction would take place under the plan.
A look at where construction would take place under the plan.
Source: Supplied
Speaking to the Sunday Herald Sun on the broad project rather than the specifics of the football club expansion, Amarfio said the Roos had spent 15 months working closely with various stakeholders to ensure voices were heard.

“North Melbourne Football Club is Arden and Arden is North Melbourne Football Club,” Amarfio said to News Corp.

“One does not exist without the other. So we are committed to keep working alongside the community and the state government to bring the Arden Precinct Structure Plan to life for the next 150 years and more.

In 2017 the club submitted a proposal to the state government to build “the best inner city training complex in Melbourne.”

Under the original framework, the club’s Arden Street headquarters footprint would grow from 4.5ha to 11.2ha, according to North’s website.

This proposal was submitted in response to a $7 billion redevelopment of the industrial pocket, which will be known as ‘Arden’ once its completed.

And last November it was announced the club had been granted more than $7 million by the state government to complete State 2 of its Arden St redevelopment.

AFLW/VFLW female friendly changerooms, umpires change rooms, multipurpose meeting spaces, a commercial kitchen and multimedia facilities were included in the plans.

But the larger plans have been in the works for several years and began well before Amarfio was appointed in November 2019. The Arden Structure Plan will see the train station completed just metres from the club’s headquarters and an estimated 50,000 people living or working in the suburb in the coming years.

Arden train station is one element of Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel project, which will untangle the city loop so more trains can run across the city.

North’s initial proposal in early 2017 contended a large-scale redevelopment would be a win-win for the club and the local community.

It’s unclear how the finances of the project are set to be divided up or when it will be completed. The Herald Sun reported the entire project – which will include a new primary school – will cost around $350 million.
Are we allowed to celebrate yet?

Surely it's getting close to that time. I feel a little sorry for the party poopers. Must be getting really challenging for them to keep finding reasons to be angry and disappointed.

The issue is that there are still a small number of people who channel him in their posting.

I find the contradiction in the bolded between your posts hilarious, especially since the posts are only hours apart.

If you want to channel him completely, now you need to pretend you didn't say what you said in the first post.
My apologies. I was unaware that anything that wasn't over the top praise was seen as "channelling snake". Unlike others on this board I'm not mentioning him every few hours. Some are clearly starved of drama and need his return...:$

Nice try. My comments were made before there was a letter to members or the comments made by fox footy. I've never had anything but respect for the board and I've always understood the need for the huddle and a AFLW team. Hell I'm probably the last person in here that turned on Scott and Joyce :$

My "doom and gloom" was being frustrated at what seemed like a local council throwing us a half eaten bone when so many others teams continue to get help. If that turns out not to be the case then happy days and well done to the North hierarchy.

Now you may recommence sitting on your high horse and backslapping the others that are along side you :$

Once this is all done, will there be any other clubs in Melbourne (or nationally) with so many people living and working right on their doorstep?

There will be so many opportunities that this precinct will present to us that we can leverage to secure our future.

Compare that to the wasteland that * use.... Talk about a dead zone of industrial nothingness. Windswept, isolated, soulless.

1631521054016.png

OK - unignored!

But seriously, people/posters have attacked and bagged and smeared a good friend of mine who, along with many others, has worked their guts out for this club to deliver this today. They've done it for years, bagging her qualifications, her intentions, everything. Nasty awful personal crap.

Even today we saw sniping naysayers and doom merchants talking this down. There's even worse happening on other social media platforms.

No more tolerance for these losers. They're wrong. They're always wrong. They were wrong about little things like the VFL side being canned for the W team and they're wrong about huge things like this.

I can't be stuffed with their bullshit for another second.

The club is heading to great places, on and off field. This work - if followed through - means that we're free forever of relocation bullshit.

If people don't want to be part of that for whatever reason, that's their call, but I'm not going to listen to their sh*t for another second.

They were wrong. They can either cop it sweet and come on board, or they can fu** off.
Mate, this is deserving of so much more than a simple reaction. Great ******* post!

I know I only speak for myself, although I expect that there will be a lot of people here that share my sentiments, if you can it'd be great to pass on some thanks for her service and just how appreciated she is by a lot of North people, including myself. She cops a frankly unfair amount of flak and we all know the reason why. I hope she knows that there's a lot of Shinboners out there who appreciate her and her work and it doesn't go unnoticed.

I find the contradiction in the bolded between your posts hilarious, especially since the posts are only hours apart.

There will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, this is deserving of so much more than a simple reaction. Great ******* post!

I know I only speak for myself, although I expect that there will be a lot of people here that share my sentiments, if you can it'd be great to pass on some thanks for her service and just how appreciated she is by a lot of North people, including myself. She cops a frankly unfair amount of flak and we all know the reason why. I hope she knows that there's a lot of Shinboners out there who appreciate her and her work and it doesn't go unnoticed.

Will do!

The issue is that there are still a small number of people who channel him in their posting.

Without even needing to go stalking on other platforms, it has been made clear right here that one or two (or possibly more) people on this group are taking directions from him to continue his undermining campaign on his behalf.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to hear Caroline Wilson's thoughts on this development, she has been pushing for our relocation/elimination for 30+ years, it would be nice to see Ben bend her over and ram a red hot poker up her arse. Perhaps on live TV. :D

You know she'd enjoy it Devo yeh ?

Bloody hell, I just went and had my first look in weeks at Snake's Twitter feed, thinking maybe this indisputably excellent news might finally get him to admit the club is in good hands.

Nope.

He's doubled down and reckons this redevelopment is bad because it is woke.

Absolutely cooked.

Great news! For all of us who follow North and have proudly (and of necessity) accepted our status as one of the poorest clubs in the AFL, always under attack by those who follow other teams and are ever ready to volunteer us for re-location, this development is potentially a game-changer.

Congrats to the Board who have for a decade been turning the footy club into a entity that knows its survival is predicated on becoming more welcoming to different types of supporters, first in the Huddle, and then through the expansion of the gender of our players.

Focusing on our survival as a football club required us to be open to these more expansive links to the community. Incredible to think that the club will now be at the centre of a dense new urban development zone.

How ******* dare you! You're slime mate!

Bloody hell, I just went and had my first look in weeks at Snake's Twitter feed, thinking maybe this indisputably excellent news might finally get him to admit the club is in good hands.

Nope.

Absolutely cooked.
No no, no.

Its the world thats wrong.

Nope.

Absolutely cooked.
I think he's referring to the Huddle which I kinda agree to an extent.

The makeover is great. Would have liked some seating stands like some have alluded to but hopefully the close proximity of the train station will encourage that one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back