2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

So for any Academy players that can't cut it in the AFL but have a decent kick there might be 19 millions reasons to follow Michael Dixon's career choice in trying out for the NFL. Hard work has truly paid off in becoming the most successful (financially) Academy graduate ever.

So for any Academy players that can't cut it in the AFL but have a decent kick there might be 19 millions reasons to follow Michael Dixon's career choice in trying out for the NFL. Hard work has truly paid off in becoming the most successful (financially) Academy graduate ever.

Salary cap of 2 clubs right there.

The 39-man Allies squad for this year's NAB AFL Under-19 Championships has been revealed.
6 Swans players named;

Screenshot_2021-06-16 Academy hot prospect named in talent-stacked Allies squad.png

The Allies kick off their championships campaign off with a clash against Vic Metro at Metricon Stadium (July 8), before facing South Australia at the Adelaide Oval (July 24), Western Australia in Blacktown (July 31) and Vic Country at GMHBA Stadium (August 14).

Two of the guys I remember from the first GWS match last year are Roseby & Pfengle.
Roseby- solid build, good inside mid, one of our best first half, but had less impact on the game as it went on. He actually started in the middle at the first bounce (with Campbell & Thorne). Gulden was on the wing.
Pfrengle was a tallish HBF, who looked comfortable running with the ball.

Puncher was also in the team, but I don't recall him.

Last edited:

Any KPD's in that lot hairy biker? We need one now but if there's a potential coming through that would help ease my pain just a little.
How does this make you feel Ticky009 ? :D

Scratch match a month or so ago V GWS;
Crouch said Puncher, who is still only 17, had his best game for the Academy.

"Liam Puncher was great at centre half back. He took on one of the Giants best talls and held him goal-less, He took four intercept marks and set us up really well with his ball use from defence.''

He also kicked 3 goals against GWS in the second academy series game last year, although as I say he didn't register on my radar in the the first match v GWS last year.

I believe Alker, Anderson & Rogers are mids.

Last edited:
I think Puncher played CHF in one of the early games and took a couple of good contested marks and then goaled as well. I did post that 25 Anderson and 34 Puncher were our best in the first half.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

U19 Championships

LOGISTICAL challenges will see the start of the NAB AFL Under-19 Championships pushed back again, with the League aiming to begin the national carnival in August.
After the rescheduling of the Allies and Vic Metro clash that was originally meant to start the under-19 championships earlier this month, the AFL has again been forced to change the fixture for coming weeks due to COVID-19 outbreaks.
The Allies had been set to play South Australia in Adelaide this weekend but the game, as well as their clash with Western Australia the following weekend, will be rescheduled.

U19 Championships

LOGISTICAL challenges will see the start of the NAB AFL Under-19 Championships pushed back again, with the League aiming to begin the national carnival in August.
After the rescheduling of the Allies and Vic Metro clash that was originally meant to start the under-19 championships earlier this month, the AFL has again been forced to change the fixture for coming weeks due to COVID-19 outbreaks.
The Allies had been set to play South Australia in Adelaide this weekend but the game, as well as their clash with Western Australia the following weekend, will be rescheduled.

Not too surprising unfortunately. We are at the point where I just hope the Allies get to play a game or two.

Not too surprising unfortunately. We are at the point where I just hope the Allies get to play a game or two.
Yes, I feel for the boys in terms of their game experience and chance to be drafted.

From the 2024 draft thread:

15 years players that made NSW and Swans Academy Super 24 Team:
Mitchell Woods
Vasili Vertsonis
Joe Harrison
Andrew Murdoch
Zachary Nandlal
Hunter Pickett
Russell Royal

16 years players that made Swans Academy Super 24 Team:
View attachment 1210214

I hope Benjamin D'Agostino makes it just because of his name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the 2024 draft thread:

15 years players that made NSW and Swans Academy Super 24 Team:

Mitchell Woods
Vasili Vertsonis
Joe Harrison
Andrew Murdoch
Zachary Nandlal
Hunter Pickett
Russell Royal

Haven't really seen anyone who didn't make the NSW 15s get drafted out of NSW except Wicks and Blakey.

16 years players that made Swans Academy Super 24 Team:
View attachment 1210214

Used to coach Ethan Clarke. Always played above his age group, and played very well. Good kid from a good family.

Talking to my nephew today on his birthday.
He is in the U19 Swans academy team next year. Which is good news. I thought he had one more year in the 17s.
I think he said the makeup of the squad is
  • 15 guys turning 19 and,
  • the rest of the squad (I can't remember what he said maybe 20)are turning 18 like him.
He said assuming all the older guys are in the team picked then there are 8 spots for the younger age group.
So its his draft year. He said probably only the best 2 will likely get drafted if any.

His mum is cooking Spaghetti Marinara his favourite!!

Talking to my nephew today on his birthday.
He is in the U19 Swans academy team next year. Which is good news. I thought he had one more year in the 17s.
I think he said the makeup of the squad is
  • 15 guys turning 19 and,
  • the rest of the squad (I can't remember what he said maybe 20)are turning 18 like him.
He said assuming all the older guys are in the team picked then there are 8 spots for the younger age group.
So its his draft year. He said probably only the best 2 will likely get drafted if any.

His mum is cooking Spaghetti Marinara his favourite!!

Excellent, best of luck to the young lad and hope he enjoys the journey!

From AFL DC

SYDNEY SWANS

Tye Gander

An athletic medium forward option, Gander is electric around the contest and even more exciting when leading up at the footy, getting on an opponents’ shoulders without putting a hand on them and sticking high marks or selling candy to open up more space, Gander is capable of it all. His leap is such a strength it is not uncommon to see him rotate through the ruck and win some contests, then follow up his own tap at ground level.

Billy King

A physically imposing but also athletic ruck and forward option, King wins most ruck contests he attends; able to out-body opponents well, but just as capable of leaping over them even when giving up a little bit of height. What makes King so dangerous is his strong marking when resting forward and good leading patterns, making him a danger when he gets on the move inside 50.

Joshua Nicholls

With a nice bit of speed to help him, Nicholls can fill in role up either end, on a wing or even through the midfield, applying the same level of intent to win the ball and use it. A jack of all trades type, Nicholls is good across the board with his skills and footy IQ, making him particularly dangerous when given the freedom to roam around the ground and impact where he sees fit.

Others:

William Sabolch
is a solid defender that can run through the midfield, with his ball use particularly impressive out of the back half and resulting in a lot of attacking plays. Bililign Robertson plays mostly on a wing but is more than comfortable in congestion where he can find a backwards handball option, whilst Christian Webster is a taller option that can play up either end with a good mark. Indhi Kirk, the oldest child of Brett, is also in the academy and possesses some impressive tricks as a small forward, whilst fellow club legend Michael O’Loughlin has had his nephew TJ Speedy Coe recently switch across from rugby, bringing a lot of speed and excitement to the forwardline.

A draft watcher, PMBangers, said that Billy King is his favourite from the academy and ranks Tye Gander in the top 5 in NSW. Has also said that Billy King could be a highish pick.

From AFL DC

SYDNEY SWANS

Tye Gander

An athletic medium forward option, Gander is electric around the contest and even more exciting when leading up at the footy, getting on an opponents’ shoulders without putting a hand on them and sticking high marks or selling candy to open up more space, Gander is capable of it all. His leap is such a strength it is not uncommon to see him rotate through the ruck and win some contests, then follow up his own tap at ground level.

Billy King

A physically imposing but also athletic ruck and forward option, King wins most ruck contests he attends; able to out-body opponents well, but just as capable of leaping over them even when giving up a little bit of height. What makes King so dangerous is his strong marking when resting forward and good leading patterns, making him a danger when he gets on the move inside 50.

Joshua Nicholls

With a nice bit of speed to help him, Nicholls can fill in role up either end, on a wing or even through the midfield, applying the same level of intent to win the ball and use it. A jack of all trades type, Nicholls is good across the board with his skills and footy IQ, making him particularly dangerous when given the freedom to roam around the ground and impact where he sees fit.

Others:

William Sabolch
is a solid defender that can run through the midfield, with his ball use particularly impressive out of the back half and resulting in a lot of attacking plays. Bililign Robertson plays mostly on a wing but is more than comfortable in congestion where he can find a backwards handball option, whilst Christian Webster is a taller option that can play up either end with a good mark. Indhi Kirk, the oldest child of Brett, is also in the academy and possesses some impressive tricks as a small forward, whilst fellow club legend Michael O’Loughlin has had his nephew TJ Speedy Coe recently switch across from rugby, bringing a lot of speed and excitement to the forwardline.

A draft watcher, PMBangers, said that Billy King is his favourite from the academy and ranks Tye Gander in the top 5 in NSW. Has also said that Billy King could be a highish pick.
Thanks, mate. I talked up your insights to SGBeach yesterday.

From AFL DC

SYDNEY SWANS

Tye Gander

Billy King

Joshua Nicholls

Others:

William Sabolch

Billy the King sounds like a good prospect.

From AFL DC

SYDNEY SWANS

Tye Gander

Billy King

Joshua Nicholls

Others:

William Sabolch

Which year's draft is this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back