DavidInellaFanClub

Team Captain
Sep 27, 2005
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Scott Morrison should hire whoever is in charge of Garry’s PR.

Let’s not get into the whole fiasco of a few years ago that was very well swept under the carpet.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Garry’s last act in any capacity working for Melbourne FC was to hire Mark Neeld as coach (in a director of football type role?) and then slowly walked away as the club moved about 4 years in the wrong direction.

Two years ago he was Melbourne’s biggest critic in his capacity as a football analyst. Questioning their culture and leadership.

Fast forward to 2021 and he is the biggest face outside the players and coach of the Dees premiership campaign.

Have I missed something here? PR team has done an unbelievable job here to make our Garry look very good…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Scott Morrison should hire whoever is in charge of Garry’s PR.

Let’s not get into the whole fiasco of a few years ago that was very well swept under the carpet.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Garry’s last act in any capacity working for Melbourne FC was to hire Mark Neeld as coach (in a director of football type role?) and then slowly walked away as the club moved about 4 years in the wrong direction.

Two years ago he was Melbourne’s biggest critic in his capacity as a football analyst. Questioning their culture and leadership.

Fast forward to 2021 and he is the biggest face outside the players and coach of the Dees premiership campaign.

Have I missed something here? PR team has done an unbelievable job here to make our Garry look very good…
He's a former captain, prominent in the media. What do you think should happen? Should he be a pariah?

I'm no fan of Garry Lyon but honestly what do you expect?

They finished 17th so he criticised them. Imagine that.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
The bloke is a walking, talking, living legend of the MFC.

And he’s a prominent fox footy commentator who gets loads of airtime.

There’s not exactly a long Congo line of ex MFC players to get comments off about the GF.

Who else are they going to interview that’s all things Demons…Hassa Mann? Carl Ditterich?

We know Barassi just wants to be left alone.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
The bloke is a walking, talking, living legend of the MFC.

And he’s a prominent fox footy commentator who gets loads of airtime.

There’s not exactly a long Congo line of ex MFC players to get comments off about the GF.

Who else are they going to interview that’s all things Demons…Hassa Mann? Carl Ditterich?

We know Barassi just wants to be left alone.
Pretty much this. The way I see it is he was an MFC champion who gave his all for the club on-field. When he finished up, he ultimately decided to focus on a media career after dabbling in some part time coaching with the club. Yet as I understand he has often helped out the club when he felt he could.

Has he made his fair share of mistakes? Yep. Is he a bit of a crap person? Probably/possibly.

But as a fan of the MFC, I’m grateful for his contribution to our club rather than being interested in scandals and fingerpointing at the bloke.

Last edited:

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah I got no problem with Garry being the one representing ex players during our run at the premiership. If anything he's been extra harsh and more critical of us because he's a genuine supporter like us. He's felt the pain and has been as frustrated as us supporters for so long now. I have no problem with the media building him up during the good times. He deserves it just as much as we do. His nerves and excitement and disappointment are a very good reflection of how us supporters are feeling, just like Richo when the Tigers came good. Hasn't always made the best decisions when trying top help the club, but his heart is always in the right place, and I'd argue there hasn't been a more talented player in the red and blue post Robbie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Lyon summed up his feelings about the Melbourne-Richmond game in the reaction of his son to the former champion ‘‘moaning’’ when the Demons kicked goals during the contentious game.

‘‘A 13-year-old in the car, having played junior footy and you’re sort of moaning about Melbourne kicking a goal, and he’s looking at you going, ‘What are you dad? What are you doing?’

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/priority-picks-harming-game-20090804-ge80wl.html

Is this a fit and proper person to present the premiership cup?

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
lyonstretcher4f715cc81861331abc000b77.jpg

Jul 27, 2006
2 towns over
AFL Club
Geelong
Lyon is one of the best forwards in the history of the game.

Dude.

I think you’re a poster whose takes I may not totally agree with but would almost always respect where you’re coming from 99% of the time. :thumbsu:

However this statement you’ve made here is just not supported by evidence. Even avid MFC people don’t agree with this when threads involving this player have been created.

Now if you had written - ”Lyon is one of the better forwards in the history of the Demons” I think you’d be much closer to the truth.

FWIW IIRC Sheeds was once a little bit provocative implying that Garry Lyon was a little too arrogant when giving his thoughts on the game for a player who really wasn’t that spectacular.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's a sh*t thing to do, but it isn't illegal to shack up with your mates EX.

It's been forgotten about because as time has gone on the true details have come out that the marriage was well and truely over anyway.

Not a great thing to do to a mate, but at the time it was portrayed as much worse than it actually was.

Back