Rumour "Big name" Port Adelaide player heading to the Suns

You people are ridiculous. “Dixon wants to go back to QLD” - he’s from Cairns.

Adelaide to Gold Coast is literally closer than Cairns to Gold Coast. He’d still be incredibly far from home.
Leaving aside the fact that this isn’t true, it’s not really the point. State borders matter more now than they did pre-COVID, and he’s probably more likely to know people who live in GC/Brisbane from Cairns than Adelaide, there would be more flights to Cairns than Adelaide, etc.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Leaving aside the fact that this isn’t true, it’s not really the point. State borders matter more now than they did pre-COVID, and he’s probably more likely to know people who live in GC/Brisbane from Cairns than Adelaide, there would be more flights to Cairns than Adelaide, etc.
The majority of Dixon's family still lives in Cairns and he's far more likely to have an opportunity to visit them if he's based inside the Queensland borders while COVID continues to wreak havoc. He'd also have many close contacts in Gold Coast/Brisbane considering he lived there during an important time in his life between the ages of 17-25. It's been reported that Dixon has struggled with mental health issues in the past so being isolated in South Australia probably doesn't help.

Lachie Neale openly admitted that he was tempted to head back to WA for family reasons during this COVID period and perhaps Charlie is in a similar boat? You just don't know what anyone is thinking in these unique times.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sorry but it's not a 'couple of bad games'.
He only kicks his goals against bottom sides.
He's useless against decent opposition his entire career.
Agree he's better than Corbett and Burgess but they are just kind of fringe AFL players
I'm not 100% on the other side of this as he definitely does underperform when needed but it's not strictly accurate.

against top 8 sides (10 games): 20 goals - 2.0 avg. (1 or less goals in 3 games [30%]) and 24 contested marks - 2.4 p/game avg.

against non-finals sides (14 games): 28 goals - 2.0 avg. (1 or less goals in 5 games [36%]) and 35 contested marks - 2.5 p/game avg

He's performed relatively consistently vs top or bottom sides in 2021, but he's just had an inconsistent year in general

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The majority of Dixon's family still lives in Cairns and he's far more likely to have an opportunity to visit them if he's based inside the Queensland borders while COVID continues to wreak havoc. He'd also have many close contacts in Gold Coast/Brisbane considering he lived there during an important time in his life between the ages of 17-25. It's been reported that Dixon has struggled with mental health issues in the past so being isolated in South Australia probably doesn't help.

Lachie Neale openly admitted that he was tempted to head back to WA for family reasons during this COVID period and perhaps Charlie is in a similar boat? You just don't know what anyone is thinking in these unique times.
One of the key things here is that Covid has changed the way players are looking at being away from family. Previously it was easy enough to just go and see family in the case of Dixon and Neale. Another good example is Wines at Port. Port made sure he would be given the time to get back home when he needed to see the family which is part of the reason why he has had the go home factory.

However this is now an issue for clubs. No matter how much a club is prepared to work with players and families, if your from WA and in NSW or Vic then your getting locked out. Same in SA, we have state premiers putting these barriers up.

I mean it's not just players, I have family in Vic I can get to see as well. Vice Versa they can't get over here and haven't been able forms fair while.

My point is I feel this is changing players perception as it's just as easy anymore to just pop back home and see family.

I feel that had a play in Neale's thinking, probably Charlie and I reckon we'll see plenty more as well. It's one thing being away for football, it's another being totally locked out.

Amacca 23

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys,chicago bulls
One of the key things here is that Covid has changed the way players are looking at being away from family. Previously it was easy enough to just go and see family in the case of Dixon and Neale. Another good example is Wines at Port. Port made sure he would be given the time to get back home when he needed to see the family which is part of the reason why he has had the go home factory.

However this is now an issue for clubs. No matter how much a club is prepared to work with players and families, if your from WA and in NSW or Vic then your getting locked out. Same in SA, we have state premiers putting these barriers up.

I mean it's not just players, I have family in Vic I can get to see as well. Vice Versa they can't get over here and haven't been able forms fair while.

My point is I feel this is changing players perception as it's just as easy anymore to just pop back home and see family.

I feel that had a play in Neale's thinking, probably Charlie and I reckon we'll see plenty more as well. It's one thing being away for football, it's another being totally locked out.
Why would the suns take a 31 year old dixon they have king ??? Wont happen and if it does the suns are stupid this guy goes missing in big games

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why would the suns take a 31 year old dixon they have king ??? Wont happen and if it does the suns are stupid this guy goes missing in big games
The guy that didn't come top 10 in their BnF?

But even ignoring that silly factor, of course they'd take Dixon if they had King. Charlie would replace Sam Day in their forward line along side King. And King would have a much easier time in the forward line if defenders are also going to have to worry about Charlie Dixon's presence.

Stick your best defender on King and watch Dixon mark everything in the forward line. Stick the best defender on Dixon, and watch King get on top of the second best defender.

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

To support him? Why did Western Bulldogs bring in Josh Bruce when they have Naughton? Why did Geelong bring in Jeremy Cameron when they had Hawkins?

Seems like a decent fit for Gold Coast if the rumours are true.

And to his defence, the entire Port squad goes missing in big games, so that's hardly his quality alone.

He'd be perfect for the Suns then, they don't play in big games.

Neither do port they just turn up and get spanked
Imagine having so little self awareness that you try to shitcan a team for losing a prelim when your team hasn't so much as sniffed a final of any type for four years.

Amacca 23

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Imagine having so little self awareness that you try to shitcan a team for losing a prelim when your team hasn't so much as sniffed a final of any type for four years.
Hmmm funny didnt you s**t can the suns with your previous comment ???

Nope but if you think say well he,d be perfect for suns cause they dont play in big games aint shitcanning them i think you do
I'm not going to explain this incredibly simple concept to you. Ask your big brother for help.

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Couldnt care less about spoons. Your club has as much to show from the last 2 seasons as we do.
Lol, spoken like a true wooden spoon recipient.
Say what you like about my club but we are still the only club in the league to never bottom out even after having the worst GF loss in history.
You lost to Richmond, went on a camp and fell to pieces.

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Imagine being a fan of a club that cant keep Coaches or players and trolling Port about a supposed player that might or might not leave us all the while you have another player telling you to GAGF..lol

Amacca 23

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lol, spoken like a true wooden spoon recipient.
Say what you like about my club but we are still the only club in the league to never bottom out even after having the worst GF loss in history.
You lost to Richmond, went on a camp and fell to pieces.
But 13 million in the red surviving on hand outs

Back