List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

thats a different argument though.
Stand alone. He’s worth pick 7 all day
I think everyone would agree with this.

If only it were this simple.
I think that’s right as well. Maybe 7 with a second rounder coming back. It is Cerra’s value, I think, but I guess what I don’t like, is that trading it for a player puts a ceiling on it, whereas pick 7 could draft you a champion.

What Cerra becomes is perhaps still in some doubt - he could still improve dramatically and be the next Peter Matera. More likely though, to get a champion through the door, taking pick 7 to the draft would be a better chance than recruiting Cerra.

Maybe I live in fantasy land but since we have a high pick, I want to have a chance at another champion.

Last edited:
T71 summary:

- Cerra talks still happening but extremely unlikely. Richmond want to part with a future first, not this years. Don't hold your breath.

- Wallis still in play.

- Narkle 100%.

- CCJ almost a lock to Gold Coast.

- Chol to Essendon getting louder.

Obviously a lot to play out, more info after the Grand Final.

Wallis and Narkle in

CCJ and Chol out

small ball footy back in by the sounds of it

I'd take Cerra over any kid outside the top 4 players in this years draft.
Why you ask.
You know Cerra can perform at the top level already.
The complete opposite take to mine, 4 or 5 posts ago, but yours is probably more sensible.
Jack Bowes or Will Powell please. Feel like that's fantasy stuff though.
I love Powell. Probably don’t need another half back but he is so good; and was a great spot by the GC talent scouts.

Probably be a handy wing, I reckon.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't you worked out the formula yet.

Our fringe players are worth their weight in gold, whereas opposition proven performers are garbage unless they are related to someone at Richmond or trained with Richmond at during their draft year.
Or had a photo of Brett Deledio on their wall. Don't forget that.

tiger_tough is spot on, you can't call Pick 7 to Pick 3 a "small pick upgrade"
At worst, if you push back all the picks 2 spots then it rates CCJ as Pick 14
The two clubs wouldn't give a stuff about what the picks are worth in points, or any of that stuff. They will view it as pick 9 for pick 5 come draft night. And then they'll consider who they rate, how closely they're rated, and who they suspect might get snapped up from 5 to 8 that they like.

We/they might really value the opportunity to have first crack at a surprise slider out of that top 4 (i.e. Callaghan), or taking their pick of that next group available. But in context, I think it could easily be argued it's a small upgrade based on what we know of the draft pool (i.e. a clear top 4, then a blanket over a handful).

I'm in the camp that if we're choosing between pick 19 outright vs pick 7 > 3 upgrade, I take pick 19. Ideally, though, both would be nice!

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

point being we got Dion thinking we were close to a flag. We’re on the down slope now.

paying the same for Cerra in a pick and TPP is madness at our stage of our list development. Hit the draft and take the TPP out of the equation

Cerra’s got 10-years left and will be at his peak from 2025-2030. If we are not planning to contend in that timeframe I’m not interested is remaining a supporter. Cerra is a locked and loaded quality mid. Looking back on the last decade of recruiting around that pick 7-10 region I’d say we’d be a 25% chance of getting someone *better* than Cerra at pick-7, so why not? And if we are trying to contend in 2022 for the flag he helps no end in achieving that. Pick-7 won’t be enough and he’s going to choose Carlton, but I’d give up pick-7 in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The two clubs wouldn't give a stuff about what the picks are worth in points, or any of that stuff. They will view it as pick 9 for pick 5 come draft night. And then they'll consider who they rate, how closely they're rated, and who they suspect might get snapped up from 5 to 8 that they like.

We/they might really value the opportunity to have first crack at a surprise slider out of that top 4 (i.e. Callaghan), or taking their pick of that next group available. But in context, I think it could easily be argued it's a small upgrade based on what we know of the draft pool (i.e. a clear top 4, then a blanket over a handful).

I'm in the camp that if we're choosing between pick 19 outright vs pick 7 > 3 upgrade, I take pick 19. Ideally, though, both would be nice!
You are correct that they won't care about the points, but it's a good way to highlight that the trade is massively out of balance
There is no way we'd get a pick upgrade from 7 to 3 AND another pick inside 20

I'd take Cerra over any kid outside the top 4 players in this years draft.
Why you ask.
You know Cerra can perform at the top level already.
He's hardly value for money tho. A top ten pick could be every bit as good as Cerra in three years for a fraction of the price. We aren't using monopoly money. I've said it a hundred times, Cerra does not impact games. Now if you're talking Brayshaw or Serong, who would cost about the same, those guys impact games. Cerra is Freo's third fiddle (out of their young guys, not even counting Fyfe and Mundy). Anyone seriously considering two first rounders (that is Freo's price there no secret about that) and a five year ($600-$700k) salary (that's his price it's no secret) for arguably the fifth best mid at a club that is a perennial non finalist is bonkers.

Cerra can play but he just isn't the hard at it kind of mid Richmond highly value. Three years at $400k ? Sure. But if there were some more players on the market or wanting to come home we wouldn't even be discussing Adam Cerra. He would be a whipping boy on these boards straight after a couple of quiet games.

We're hitting the draft this year and next and setting the club up for the next ten years.

The closer we get to the trade period the more I want to bring in no one (except maybe an Astbury replacement). Bringing in Wallis cancels out anything we ‘might’ get for Chol. If our team has no injuries does Narkle even get a game? Would rather get games into our younger mids.

Just go to the draft.

Id ask for Noah Anderson from Gold Coast if they want Callum Jones. Straight swap we give them a 3rd rounder as a complimentary.

Wow, Caro putting the hard word on CCJ to stay a tiger
Says he owes us for sticking with him
She is spot on, club wrapped their arms around him and took all the focus whilst he avoided any scrutiny . Club no doubt had to make changes that seriously affected people’s lives as a direct result of his actions. Club could have dumped him last year and had him on the pay role but not near the club , but didn’t.

T71 summary:

- Cerra talks still happening but extremely unlikely. Richmond want to part with a future first, not this years. Don't hold your breath.

- Wallis still in play.

- Narkle 100%.

- CCJ almost a lock to Gold Coast.

- Chol to Essendon getting louder.

Obviously a lot to play out, more info after the Grand Final.
Would be a very disappointing trade period if those trades were to occur and would all but certainly mean we would be using the draft for KPP’s and that we are 4-5 years off competing again . Would also mean incumbent KPF’s would get limited exposure alongside Jack which CCJ has had plenty .

The closer we get to the trade period the more I want to bring in no one (except maybe an Astbury replacement). Bringing in Wallis cancels out anything we ‘might’ get for Chol. If our team has no injuries does Narkle even get a game? Would rather get games into our younger mids.

Just go to the draft.
Narkle looks good in spells, but too many question marks on his endurance and on his knee. I hope we don't go the same path as we did with Mav Weller and get a player that is popular with our playing group instead of making a sound decision.

From what I saw of Finn Callaghan I think he could lead the midfield of a premiership contender. To get him we need either GWS 2 or Gold coast 3. I think both had interest in CCJ so we should push a deal around that, depending on any intel on who GWS wants at 2. A reserve may or may not work out ruck forward for a GUN young midfielder improves our 22 next year straight away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back