Autopsy Port versus an actual football team

Remove this Banner Ad

The other issue Footy Classified mentioned was the complete lack of depth in our midfield. And they had to include wingers and flankers to get a decent sample together.

That's the cliff that's heading towards us.

The club is yet to come out and apologize for this s**t or hold anyone accountable. I mean, not as if they owe their funding parties anything right? Nah. Let them pay us to ride on the bus, but we'll just lock the doors and take them all to bolivar.

The club is yet to come out and apologize for this sh*t or hold anyone accountable. I mean, not as if they owe their funding parties anything right? Nah. Let them pay us to ride on the bus, but we'll just lock the doors and take them all to bolivar.
Hmmm .. was just going to ask if we'd heard from Richo

Hmmm .. was just going to ask if we'd heard from Richo

I really expected an email from him by 5pm last night at the latest.

*crickets*

Must be off chasing greatness.

I really expected an email from him by 5pm last night at the latest.

*crickets*

Must be off chasing greatness.

The silence, while frustrating for us, tells me there’s s**t going down behind the scenes.

inb4 "that sucked, we're going to do things (but i wont say what) and see you at the footy, stick with us!"

That’s a KT special. I think this will be different. It’ll be Richo’s first real test in the role. He cannot afford for it to be a weak response.

The silence, while frustrating for us, tells me there’s sh*t going down behind the scenes.

Yeah we'll see. I'm through taking anything on faith from this group.

I'm a PAFC agnostic from now on.

Those highlights from On the Couch were only a portion of the half a***** approach to the game. It’s interesting when they showed vision and Riewoldt mentioned the spin out of a DBJ “tackle” attempt, from Bontempelli as when the game was gone in the second qtr. The glaring one for me they didn’t highlight was in the first qtr when Burton had to go back with the flight of the ball and was looking at WB player rather than the ball in a way that suggested he was about self preservation. After everything that preceded that moment, I knew we didn’t have enough committed players to even get back into the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a KT special. I think this will be different. It’ll be Richo’s first real test in the role. He cannot afford for it to be a weak response.

This is basically the one tiny string of hope I have left right now.

Even more gut-wrenching video there.

The players should have to watch this over and over.

Total lack of commitment.

And as Browny said, poor effort and poor strategy. So it's not just on the players.

The silence, while frustrating for us, tells me there’s sh*t going down behind the scenes.
Hopefully part of the behind the scenes discussion has something to do with a pass mark for Ken next year (I guess I'm a pessimist - they ain't sacking him immediately). Something like, "If we're not in the 8 by June, he's gone."

So I've done the numbers on this. Only using H/A games and using ladder positions at the end of each H/A season, here is the ladder of win % against top 4 teams since the start of 2017 (teams have played 24 +/- 3 games against top 4 sides in this time)

1​
GWS
31.4​
2​
Geelong
31.3​
3​
Richmond
30.0​
4​
Sydney
29.4​
5​
WCE
27.6​
6​
Crows
25.0​
7​
Hawks
22.6​
8​
Lions
22.2​
9​
Melbourne
20.7​
10​
WBD
20.6​
11​
Pies
17.9​
12​
NM
17.9​
13​
Saints
16.7​
14​
Freo
13.8​
15​
Port
12.0​
16​
Carlton
11.1​
17​
Essendon
10.7​
18​
GCS
4.3​

For Port, that's 3 wins from 22 matchups.
This is great, and 2017 is a fitting reference point. Given our inflated ladder position that year which was extremely similar to this year.

In fact I think in 2017 didn't we only miss 2nd because we lost that 2 point game to the Cats?

Reverse the 2021 game against the Dogs and we're 4th, and they're 2nd. And we have a similar record against top teams as 2017.

In reality that rnd23 performance in hindsight was a red flag. To dominate a game completely like we did and only win by 2 points, showed that we needed to play amazing to beat them, anything under was going to end badly.

Hopefully part of the behind the scenes discussion has something to do with a pass mark for Ken next year (I guess I'm a pessimist - they ain't sacking him immediately). Something like, "If we're not in the 8 by June, he's gone."

Won’t be on public record - doing so achieves nothing.

These "pass marks" are meaningless. There are no consequences for not meeting them, and they morph into something else.

This year we were told it was premiership or bust, but now it's all about win percentage.

These "pass marks" are meaningless. There are no consequences for not meeting them, and they morph into something else.

This year we were told it was premiership or bust, but now it's all about win percentage.
I understand that, but SURELY the decision makers are finally coming to the realisation that Ken can't see out his contract. If they value the views of the fans as much as they say they do, then Saturday night's debacle has to be the final straw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back