Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg
Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:

He's turned things around the last 3 weeks. He got a touch-up from Charlie Dixon and since then has been sensational. Flying for marks without fear and playing a much more physical style in one-on-one contests. Confidence through the roof right now.

Does make me laugh when commentators say he's been playing like this the whole year when that's plainly false to anyone who has watched his whole year - not shittalking him, he's a 21 yo key defender in his first full year playing the role, he should be inconsistent. Just another fun indication of just how little commentators have actually taken notice of us between our first month and the last 3 weeks when we've been flavour of that particular month.

Tom had a career high 13.5 disposals, 5 marks, 6.4 spoils, 2.5 intercept marks and 5.2 contested possessions on average across his 22 matches this season.
Tom-McCartin-mark.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the guy I am expecting to have a monster breakout year in 2022. He is just a clever footy player. He will be leading our defence for the next 12 years.

Most important player on our list imo, outside of Tom we have little/no KPD depth (unless Reid/Paddy etc show something).

I am going to do a Punts. I was wrong on Tom McCartin taking on the big key forwards. I love the guy as a key defender, but I did not think he could handle the big dogs. They do not come bigger than Hawkins. He shut him down. I was wrong.
Tom did a wonderful job on Hawkins. Maybe having his brother around him gives him more confidence.

Our tall stocks are much better this year and hopefully our back unit is as stingy as ever.
There is quality everywhere there.
McCartin
McCartin
Rampe
Cunningham
Lloyd
McInerney
Lizard
Campbell

I am going to do a Punts. I was wrong on Tom McCartin taking on the big key forwards. I love the guy as a key defender, but I did not think he could handle the big dogs. They do not come bigger than Hawkins. He shut him down. I was wrong.
Tom did a wonderful job on Hawkins. Maybe having his brother around him gives him more confidence.

Our tall stocks are much better this year and hopefully our back unit is as stingy as ever.
There is quality everywhere there.
McCartin
McCartin
Rampe
Cunningham
Lloyd
McInerney
Lizard
Campbell
I agree Rusty. HB (The Mongrel Punt) observed that with Paddy on board and Cameron running upfield a lot Rampe was able to assist Tom quite a lot as well. Taking nothing away from Tom's work I can see this working out every bit as well as I (and many others) had hoped. This group is just going to get better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back