Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was listenming to the Pagan interview and reading the Blight article at the same time and as I read about Blight at the meeting where Aylett threatened to sack anyone who didn't back Barassi, Denis started talking about the exact same incident at *. Weird hey.

Listening to the Coodabeens on the wireless this a.m. which l haven't done for a long time. Greg Champion sounded a bit off, he had a stroke or something ? ☹
Greg Champion was broadcasting from Adelaide while the rest of the team were in Victoria. That made the singalongs quite difficult. May have also been difficult setting correct sound levels.

I think you’re being a little kind in terms of our capitulation in 2016. I don’t think the injury run was that bad and most clubs go through bad ones throughout a season. What we went through at the start of this season is notable and out of the ordinary. The 2016 side wasn’t a premiership quality team and Brad Scott isn’t a premiership quality coach.
We lost Higgo for most of the year. Wasn't right when he returned either. He'd kicked 40 goals the year before and won the next two Syd Barker's. Luke McDonald tore his hammie off the bone. We lost W80 and Ben Jacobs (foot fracture, probably caused by having his leg swept in the PF v the Eagles,) and the stats for us winning with them in the side vs losing were pretty stark. Jacobs basically brought tagging back from the dead in the AFL. But we also lost heaps of players during games. At one point more than any other side. We lost our midfield against geelong and lost the second half, lost Mason Wood back when he played with heart and courage. Lost our entire forward line for the second Dogs game and still lost by 2 goals. Sam Wright missed most of the year.

Played the Hawks missing Cunners and Spitta and lost LMac before half time.

We lost Higgo for most of the year. Wasn't right when he returned either. He'd kicked 40 goals the year before and won the next two Syd Barker's. Luke McDonald tore his hammie off the bone. We lost W80 and Ben Jacobs (foot fracture, probably caused by having his leg swept in the PF v the Eagles,) and the stats for us winning with them in the side vs losing were pretty stark. Jacobs basically brought tagging back from the dead in the AFL. But we also lost heaps of players during games. At one point more than any other side. We lost our midfield against geelong and lost the second half, lost Mason Wood back when he played with heart and courage. Lost our entire forward line for the second Dogs game and still lost by 2 goals. Sam Wright missed most of the year.

Indeed - I loved the team that year.

"Another layer to the injury ladder is in-game injuries, which play a key role in results and have particularly cruelled North Melbourne in its four-week fall from first to eighth.

It's been the quickest such fall since Port Adelaide went from first to 10th in mid-2007, and in-game setbacks have had an undeniable impact.

Starting against Geelong in round 12, the Kangaroos have suffered 11 in-game injuries, with five of those ending a player's day prematurely – Andrew Swallow (concussion), Ben Cunnington (corked thigh), Luke McDonald (hamstring) and Farren Ray (concussion and hamstring).

Over the course of the season, no team has finished a game at least one player down more often than the Kangaroos, who have suffered game-ending injuries in all but five games."

Totally agree. We had a horrific run with injury in the second half of 2016 and I'm not sure why some down play it. And, as you say, it wasn't just the number of injuries, many of them were significant stints on the sidelines where players lost conditioning by the time they were back. I also remember the in-game injuries - time and again we were a player down by quarter time. Not saying we would've won the whole thing, but I'm quite confident that without our injury run we would've made top 4 and from there who knows.

Indeed - I loved the team that year.

"Another layer to the injury ladder is in-game injuries, which play a key role in results and have particularly cruelled North Melbourne in its four-week fall from first to eighth.

It's been the quickest such fall since Port Adelaide went from first to 10th in mid-2007, and in-game setbacks have had an undeniable impact.

Starting against Geelong in round 12, the Kangaroos have suffered 11 in-game injuries, with five of those ending a player's day prematurely – Andrew Swallow (concussion), Ben Cunnington (corked thigh), Luke McDonald (hamstring) and Farren Ray (concussion and hamstring).

Over the course of the season, no team has finished a game at least one player down more often than the Kangaroos, who have suffered game-ending injuries in all but five games."
That's it. I remember that article.

Totally agree. We had a horrific run with injury in the second half of 2016 and I'm not sure why some down play it. And, as you say, it wasn't just the number of injuries, many of them were significant stints on the sidelines where players lost conditioning by the time they were back. I also remember the in-game injuries - time and again we were a player down by quarter time. Not saying we would've won the whole thing, but I'm quite confident that without our injury run we would've made top 4 and from there who knows.

would've been one of the teams with the most finals experience out of the other contenders that year. especially considering the eventual winner was the upstart bulldogs from 7th place. brad scott had a lot of shortcomings but even an average coach can win a flag if it all goes right.

The other week I read that our last four seasons have been really bad for injuries but what year since 2015 have we had a relatively injury free run at it? And even that year we didn't have Wells.

The other week I read that our last four seasons have been really bad for injuries but what year since 2015 have we had a relatively injury free run at it? And even that year we didn't have Wells.
It has been really bad over a long period so I'm glad the club has taken steps to address it. Even that year of 2015 was impacted by injury, not so much during the season itself but at the end of 2014 we had so many players need to go in for surgery that we didn't even have enough fit players to do full ground drills in the 2015 preseason. So it's no wonder we were slow to get going that year. If we had a better preparation that year I think we could've pushed top 4 and had a double chance. It was a stronger competition that year so perhaps not, but we obviously made the prelims anyway (and could've gone to the GF if not for some missed shots on goal and umpiring decisions going against us at critical times).

Greg Champion was broadcasting from Adelaide while the rest of the team were in Victoria. That made the singalongs quite difficult. May have also been difficult setting correct sound levels.
I have been listening to them for 25 years and they still don’t miss the bullshit of the AFL, and yet do it in a manner that is genuinely inoffensive and humourous.

Last edited:
I remember it was all going beautifully until we went down media street with a big article about our amazing approach and how it was preventing injuries. Pretty much immediately after that - and ever since - it’s been terrible.

I remember it was all going beautifully until we went down media street with a big article about our amazing approach and how it was preventing injuries. Pretty much immediately after that - and ever since - it’s been terrible.
I also think it's no coincidence that Dan Meehan, our head of strength and conditioning, left to join the Brooklyn Nets halfway through 2016. It's all been downhill from there.

I have been listening to them for 25 years and they still don’t miss the bullshit of the AFL, and yet do it in a manner that is genuinely inoffensive and humouress.
Yep, still really enjoy listening to the Coodabeens - though it's on the podcast because it's easier to skip the 20-25 minutes of Greg's songs. I have noticed though the only semi-regular guernseys North gets are references to the elephant at Arden St, Fitzroy gets more of a run!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prior to the hawks game where LMac blew a hammy chasing Cyril and Sam Wright did his ankle?

Correct. Footscray's injury list was just as bad as ours in 2016 but they had a decent coach
Didn’t do enough to change things up and accepted the inevitable.
We went from undefeated after 2 months to retiring players and calling the season a failure by round 22.
Embarassing really. Brad should never have coached on after 2017.

2016 hurts more because the dogs lost players left right and center like we did except had the heart to regroup and win a final in Perth. We did * all in ours.
Shambolic management.

We went from undefeated after 2 months to retiring players and calling the season a failure by round 22.

2016 hurts more because the dogs lost players left right and center like we did except had the heart to regroup and win a final in Perth. We did fu** all in ours.
Shambolic management.

There was never a sense of "it's now or never" at any stage of that era.

Beveridge had the good sense to make the squad throw everything at it with a real "seize your opportunity" approach.

I remember media accounts of him being filthy with the team in 2015 (their 1st year back in the finals) that they didn't go on with it. None of the "learning experience" washing away of accountability.

2016 hurts more because the dogs lost players left right and center like we did except had the heart to regroup and win a final in Perth. We did fu** all in ours.
Shambolic management.
100% this.
Also missed out when playing faviourites over developing players leading to many many guys on sub 40 games in their mid 20s.
If you're not playing them because their bad players then why draft them.

We were Dads Army by then, when all your best players are 32-38, is it much a surprise when injuries play a part?

If, if, if… we peaked in round 6 of that year.

Just saw Tom Browne is in Perth, who signed off on that?

It was a one way ticket

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Oh * off id sooner Eddie. You can even have Basil. But you have to take Brownenote

Just saw Tom Browne is in Perth, who signed off on that?
My understanding - from a family member who works in the media - is that media folks were allowed in if they actually had a job to do.

Eddie, on the other hand, didn't. He was trying to find BS ways of justifying his entry but hadn't done any of the leg work.

"I'll film Millionaire in WA" even though we don't have the studio facilities to do it.

"I'll do some promo work for WA Tourism" despite not actually speaking to anyone at Tourism WA first.

"I'll do some MC work at a pre-game event" despite not actually having been booked for anything.

Yada yada yada.

My understanding - from a family member who works in the media - is that media folks were allowed in if they actually had a job to do.

Eddie, on the other hand, didn't. He was trying to find BS ways of justifying his entry but hadn't done any of the leg work.

"I'll film Millionaire in WA" even though we don't have the studio facilities to do it.

"I'll do some promo work for WA Tourism" despite not actually speaking to anyone at Tourism WA first.

"I'll do some MC work at a pre-game event" despite not actually having been booked for anything.

Yada yada yada.
Uncle Kerry grease some palms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back