Coach Assistant coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

My thoughts were that coaches move around all the time (which you’ve also stated) and often have clauses allowing for them to move if they wish.

Graham is literally in the same position as Hale. Both their employers seem happy for them to explore better opportunities. Most employers aren’t against people in their organisations exploring better opportunities.

I just question whether losing Hale and gaining Graham are both positives for the club. From the outside it appears Hale was highly regarded so losing him is a negative for the club. Gaining Graham hopefully offsets that.
If it is one piece of the puzzle that stops me pulling out my hair watching our forward line move around like headless chooks... then it's a positive imo.

Thankfully my hair grows back but I don't want to keep tempting fate.

I have no idea if Graham will help? I'd be confident Teague would - highly unlikely due to getting a paid year off though. But to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result was really not an option.

edit - FWIW I think Hale is a decent development coach - several of our players seem to have improved individually under him. I've seen no evidence he is a good line coach though. I think people overrate him a bit because he was Lyon's favourite. Reality is he's only ever coached at Freo and in that time the areas he's been responsible for have performed poorly. Some of that is due to a lack of quality personnel but at some point you've got to show something as a coach regardless - there is really no excuse for a forward line not being able to structure for forward pressure irrespective of the players in it.

Last edited:

If it is one piece of the puzzle that stops me pulling out my hair watching our forward line move around like headless chooks... then it's a positive imo.

Thankfully my hair grows back but I don't want to keep tempting fate.

I have no idea if Graham will help? I'd be confident Teague would - highly unlikely due to getting a paid year off though. But to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result was really not an option.

edit - FWIW I think Hale is a decent development coach - several of our players seem to have improved individually under him. I've seen no evidence he is a good line coach though. I think people overrate him a bit because he was Lyon's favourite. Reality is he's only ever coached at Freo and in that time the areas he's been responsible for have performed poorly. Some of that is due to a lack of quality personnel but at some point you've got to show something as a coach regardless - there is really no excuse for a forward line not being able to structure for forward pressure irrespective of the players in it.

The point you make about individual players improving under him (many of which I thought didn’t have the current levels in them) is why I think he isn’t as sh** as much of this board makes out.

Of course West Coast would get an ex-Geelong assistant in. Knows how to be polite about little mishaps downstairs and the fastest way to stock a Monday to Sunday plastic pill dispenser for the slightly forgetful.

But getting in someone from the other prelim disaster team? That’s other level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mayne needs some experience before becoming an assistant imo.

Ideally, we'd be pushing someone like Hayden or Corey forward for the Peel job and then replace them with Mayne. Or even Mzungu to Peel and Mayne replaces him in our NGA.

Mayne needs some experience before becoming an assistant imo.

Ideally, we'd be pushing someone like Hayden or Corey forward for the Peel job and then replace them with Mayne. Or even Mzungu to Peel and Mayne replaces him in our NGA.
Mzungu was replaced by Hayden as NGA coach last season. Mzungu is now a development coach at Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back