Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

I'm not a Sydney supporter but even I'm devastated he's leaving. One of my favourite players in the AFL right now. Sydney need to try and keep him.

Unfortunately it seems like COVID is making these go home trades more common.

I'm not a Sydney supporter but even I'm devastated he's leaving. One of my favourite players in the AFL right now. Sydney need to try and keep him.

Unfortunately it seems like COVID is making these go home trades more common.
Yeah that's not going to happen. What is a club meant to do ?

Your club is going ok and on the up, he's got a nice contract in front of him, a nice place to live, good mates at the club, fans luv him to bits, blah blah.

He's already got a gf so we cant really send over a bevy of beauties along with 3 racks of ribs. Maybe a lamb roast at Jesinta's place ?

If they don't wish to re-sign, its red rover.
It now boils down to whether he will do the right thing by the club that picked him from obscurity at #56, then tweaked him to be the player he is now.

I dont have a problem with him. Its just an absolute bloody waste and shame.

Would that prelim (on the back of almost 10 years of What Happen Power) put you off ?
Don't see why. If he was in his late twenties then maybe, but he's only 24, plenty of good football left in him.

You would prefer the crows? Their young players have showed zero talent and they were barely held together this year on the back of personal best years to Seedsman, Tex & Keays. Crows are a long way off even thinking of finals.
Crows were competitive all year playing the youngest team in the comp.

A LOT of their kids are showing a fair bit - Thilthorpe, Schoenberg, Butts, McHenry, Jones at half back, Sholl, plus a fantastic series of first years like Cook, Pedlar, etc.

This is how you do a rebuild, and they're in a VERY good spot going forward.

Why is port cooked? they've still got a great squad, they're 3-4 years ahead of Adelaide, and port have a bunch of cap space, and would probably be more willing to part ways with their first rounder. The bulldogs would slap Adelaide by 170 points the way they were playing against port, no offence to crows fans but its true with where you're at with your development. If Port Adelaide didn't bring anyone in, and just sacked Hinkley, thats a 10/10 window, anything on top of that is just a bonus.
Port have a team full of flankers - very thin in the midfield and in key talls.

What are they - 4 & 28 against top four sides?

They're aging and will struggle to re-sign much of their youth. You think teams will come for Butters and Georgiades especially.

I think there's some mental issues there - they sprint downhill against young teams but don't have the strength to stand up to better sides.

They're aging and will struggle to re-sign much of their youth. You think teams will come for Butters and Georgiades especially.

I think there's some mental issues there - they sprint downhill against young teams but don't have the strength to stand up to better sides.

A LOT of their kids are showing a fair bit - Thilthorpe, Schoenberg, Butts, McHenry, Jones at half back, Sholl, plus a fantastic series of first years like Cook, Pedlar, etc.

Great observation. Correct me if I’m wrong, so Port = bad and Crows = good?

This seems a overly sunny description of things, your Vets also had some excellent season which helped if I’m being honest but as I’ve said above the manner of that prelim loss exposes some pretty nasty problems with Us right now

I wouldn’t be surprised if he thinks the Crows are a better long term bet that’s how significant that result was/is imo

This seems a overly sunny description of things, your Vets also had some excellent season which helped if I’m being honest but as I’ve said above the manner of that prelim loss exposes some pretty nasty problems with Us right now

I wouldn’t be surprised if he thinks the Crows are a better long term bet that’s how significant that result was/is imo
Lets not forget the joke of a football department we have been running since 2017. I would still think port is a more attractive option.

I was told mid season he wasn't re-signing and had already committed to the Crows on very decent money. Not going with it as 100% fact but I got this from a Sydney contact who usually gets pretty good mail on the Swans. I hit him up again on Saturday and he doubled down and said J.Dawson to the Crows is a lock. Lets hope so. We are about to find out..

I fear you have mistaken Port for a different club.

Time will tell, but 'retention' has never been an issue with Port, especially where the player is a wanted commodity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was told mid season he wasn't re-signing and had already committed to the Crows on very decent money. Not going with it as 100% fact but I got this from a Sydney contact who usually gets pretty good mail on the Swans. I hit him up again on Saturday and he doubled down and said J.Dawson to the Crows is a lock. Lets hope so. We are about to find out..

If that is the case Sydney will want a lot more than the Crows second rounder pick. We will want a pick in the early to mid teens at worst.

Could Crows potentially do a deal swap with Richmond in order to get Dawson? Crows give 4 + 23 for Richmond's 7 and 15. Richmond win as they get a top pick and an early second while crows win as pick 7 can still be used for SA talent like Draper, Roberts etc. and then pick 15 could be sent to Sydney for Dawson.

Is pushing 15 back to 23 worth the benefit of moving 7 up to 4?

Almost certainly not. Think teams will value pick 15 much higher than moving back into the 20’s.

would require Richmond to be seriously into a player they think will go before 7 and still there at 4.. which could happen, but think it’s unlikely to work out that way.

Could Crows potentially do a deal swap with Richmond in order to get Dawson? Crows give 4 + 23 for Richmond's 7 and 15. Richmond win as they get a top pick and an early second while crows win as pick 7 can still be used for SA talent like Draper, Roberts etc. and then pick 15 could be sent to Sydney for Dawson.

Seems a bad deal for Adelaide on the surface of it.

I think keeping pick 4 is essential for the Crows in their rebuild.

That’s all cool and all but the obvious question is why not just say that now?
It can’t be sign sealed delivered because if it was the request would’ve been to go to Adelaide not SA 🤷‍♂️

Almost certainly not. Think teams will value pick 15 much higher than moving back into the 20’s.

would require Richmond to be seriously into a player they think will go before 7 and still there at 4.. which could happen, but think it’s unlikely to work out that way.
I mean 4+23 for 7+15 is probably the very minimum Richmond would need to pay if they wanted to move up from 7 to 4, so the 'value' is more or less right, but yes the trade only happens if Richmond desperately want to move up for a particular player (or need pick 4 to facilitate another trade).

Tigers are prime for pick 17/18 from dogs with their 2nd & 3rd rounds. If it means they go up the draft they end up with 4, 17/18, 23.

Seems a bad deal for Adelaide on the surface of it.

I think keeping pick 4 is essential for the Crows in their rebuild.

Eh, it seems an awkward draft to hold pick 4, especially if accruing SA talent is an objective (and really, it should be for SA sides). Seems like one where you want as many shots as possible at that top 15 or so, seeing the lack of standouts.

For instance the player I probably want the most out of who's left by then is very likely to be available at 7 in Arlo Draper.

What would make you possibly think we would struggle to re-sign butters, georgiades and our other youth?

Port have demonstrated over the years that they have an excellent retention rate with our youngsters and they have all shown their commitment to port early and committed to new contracts early. We have plenty of cap space going forward and we will be locking them up early in longer term deals.

There is no logic to that statement other than take a dig at Port

Question for Swans supporters who obviously see him play more often, do you see Dawson as potential to be a centre square midfielder?

Think he’s a great talent and shown some excellent form on the outside with his precision kicking but could he move inside too?

From ports view we have a number of good outside players with excellent foot skills but obviously lacking on the inside but would still love him either way

Question for Swans supporters who obviously see him play more often, do you see Dawson as potential to be a centre square midfielder?

Think he’s a great talent and shown some excellent form on the outside with his precision kicking but could he move inside too?

From ports view we have a number of good outside players with excellent foot skills but obviously lacking on the inside but would still love him either way
So he played on ball for some of his NEAFL games in 2018-2019. He was good (it’s not a great standard) but honestly it’s not his best spot.

if you want a cheap insider player Sier or Brodie are best bets

Last edited:

Crows win the spoon next year ill have $100 on if your willing to bet on the natural progression of their kids.

Back